• maxthon's useragent string is inconsistent

FB Purity

i've just installed maxthon 4.9 and have found a bug

maxthon now seems to be changing its useragent  ( window.navigator.userAgentdepending on which website its visiting. if its visiting facebook or google, it reports its useragent as 
    "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.75.14 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.3 Safari/7046A194A"

but if it visits other sites, it reports its useragent as being

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.3.1000 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36"

this is quite annoying as it has broken my maxthon extension "FB Purity", which works fine in Maxthon 4.4 so i can only assume this bug is specific to Maxthon 4.9

Please can you fix this, and make the useragent string consistent?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

" but if it visits other sites, it reports its useragent as being

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.3.1000 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36" "

Could you provide some examples for this "other sites"? Then I can have a try.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

5 hours ago, BugMiss006 said:

Could you provide some examples for this "other sites"? Then I can have a try.

Other sites that aren't google or facebook, eg maxthon.com or forum.

See attached images.

The UA as set in settings is:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.3.1000 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36

This matches what is displayed on the mx forum image, but google changes the chrome version to 49.x and adds WOW64 to the system string.

I don't think this is unusual. Browsers are doing this more and more to ensure sites that are designed for a particular browser/platform work on another. Apparently android spoofs a Safari UA to ensure site compatibility.

Seeing this is a desktop browser, it would be nice to have some more options to play with when it comes to advanced settings such as this.

MaxthonSnap20160715235925.png

MaxthonSnap20160715235900.png

6 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Use one of the UAs here

Won't work. The problem is that Maxthon ignores the defined UA and spoofs another preset one for particular sites.

See the images above.

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.