• Favorites Manager shows zero favorites

Jrel
    • Solved

My Favorites bar is working and has all my favorites.  However, when I use the Favorites Manager, nothing is in there at all.  Version 4.9.3.1000.  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If I click on the Star, and then click on Favorites Manager, it starts the "mx://favorites/" page, which is completely empty.

And thanks, you also helped me figure out the issue.  In version 4.4.7.1000 still on my laptop, the Favorites Manager starts the page "about:favorites", which shows all my favorites.  But in the new version, 4.9.3.1000, starting the Favorites Manager starts the mx://favorites/ page, which is empty.  Even if I go to the "about:favorites" page in the new version, there is nothing there.

Edited by Jrel

Of course not!  

I'm worried about losing all my favorites and cookies and autologons for different websites.  Does the passport account save it all?

Here's another question, why doesn't the Online Favorites of my Passport account synchronize with the new MX://Favorites/ page?

Edited by Jrel
    Found out how to do a clean install, but worried about losing stuff

3 hours ago, Jrel said:

Of course not!  

I'm worried about losing all my favorites and cookies and autologons for different websites.  Does the passport account save it all?

Here's another question, why doesn't the Online Favorites of my Passport account synchronize with the new MX://Favorites/ page?

Yeah, sorry, it was a rhetorical question, I knew you hadn't.

The reason you're having the issues you're having is they you didn't do a clean install. You can see what will be synced with M4.9 by clicking your account icon at the upper left of the browser. Having said this, some people have reported problems with auto logins after upgrading, even after a clean install.

Once you've done the clean install you probably won't have issues synchronizing with online favs, most probably won't even need to. 

Edited by joemax

Thank you for your help!  When I said "Of course not!" earlier, I meant that jokingly, so I'm sorry if it looked like I was upset, which I'm not.

Well, I have good news and bad news.  I uninstalled (cleared all user data), did a clean install of the current version again.  Bad news: Favorites Manager still shows nothing.  Online Favorites shows everything.  I also tried Syncing the Favorites but mx://favorites/ is still empty.  

6 hours ago, Jrel said:

If I click on the Star, and then click on Favorites Manager,

But do you see your favourites in the favourites list - sidebar and toolbar? Or just on the favourites bar?

What happens when you try and export your favourites? Does the resulting file end up empty? or with the correct links?

6 hours ago, Jrel said:

But in the new version, 4.9.3.1000, starting the Favorites Manager starts the mx://favorites/ page,

Which is how it's supposed be.

6 hours ago, Jrel said:

Even if I go to the "about:favorites" page in the new version, there is nothing there.

about: pages have been changed to mx: and redirect to the equivalent mx: page if they are used.

3 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

But do you see your favourites in the favourites list - sidebar and toolbar? Or just on the favourites bar?

What happens when you try and export your favourites? Does the resulting file end up empty? or with the correct links?

Favorites are showing in the toolbar, and if I click on the little yellow star on the toolbar, they show in the dropdown.  On the sidebar though, if I click on the white star in the gold square, it is completely empty.

When I export my favorites, all my favorites are correctly there in the new folder (that I put on my hard drive).  

Edited by Jrel

3 minutes ago, Jrel said:

On the sidebar though, if I click on the white star in the gold square, it is completely empty.

If you  use the searchbox in the sidebar favourites does anything show?

3 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

If you  use the searchbox in the sidebar favourites does anything show?

No.

I also just tried importing my favorites (that I exported earlier above).  There is a checkbox that deletes the current data before importing so I checked that.  I got the message "Import Successful!".  However, the sidebar still shows no favorites and the Favorites Manager page shows none either.

Edited by Jrel

I'd be reinstalling.

But before that, test by signing out of your passport account and see if you can see/save any favs in the sidebar/manager using the guest account.

Otherwise make a backup of your current maxthon userdata just in case of unforseen circumstances, reinstall, and it should work again.

This guest account works fine.  I can add new websites as favorites and they show up in the sidebar, the favorites toolbar, and also in the Favorites Manager.  I haven't tried logging into my account or importing my old favorites yet.

Edited by Jrel

So it's something related to your passport data/settings.

3 minutes ago, Jrel said:

I haven't tried logging into my account or importing my old favorites yet.

If you export you favs from the passport account, and import to the guest account and the same thing happens then it's something/link in the favs.

If it does work, then it's a settings issue somewhere.

Okay, yeah, it is something in my Favorites breaking the Favorites Manager.  After importing my Faves, it wiped the original favorites in Favorites Manager clean, the manager shows as empty, and now I can't add anything new to the manager either.  Anything I add does show up in the the sidebar and the toolbar.  My imported Favorites did not show up in the sidebar this time.  The original favorites still stay in there.  Unlike the behavior where in my passport account, importing my Favorites wiped the sidebar favorites clean also.  

Unfortunately, clearing all user data, cookies, history, and the cache, from the browser doesn't get Favorites manager working again.  And I'm not that patient to fully uninstall and try importing different things to see what does it either, heh.  I'll just have to start over again.  Well, at least I have my Favorites saved on my drive.  I guess this is solved unless you have anything else I could try.  

Edited by Jrel

I'm thinking (based off some previous issues) that their may be some problem with some non-standard characters in one/some of your favourites. While it doesn't make sense that it shows in the favbar, but not others, it may be the way MX deals with the data in each section.

To test this you can export/import only certain folders at a time till the issue shows again. That should lead you to the culprit, Or check the exported favs file in a text editor and search for any weird looking characters.

Yeah, that could be it.  I'll have to play with it some other time tomorrow then.  The longest part is uninstalling and reinstalling.  I'll post here if I figure it out.

Just now, Jrel said:

The longest part is uninstalling and reinstalling.

Test using a portable version. Extract into a folder and export/import in that using the guest account. Assuming you're not logging to passport, it won't affect any of your current data and if you need to try again, just delete and extract a new copy.

Once you find the issue you can then delete/change that in your installed version and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Just make sure you don't have your installed version running at the same time.

Well, I've narrowed it down to something wrong in my "To Buy" folder of Favorites, but it contains 294 links to look through.  

I also tested importing everything into 4.4.7.3000, and that version is fine with the entire import of all my Favorites.

Jrel you aren't doing anything wrong. It's a bug. It's been reported by Secret HQ and myself more than once. The best I can tell you is clear your cache,  history etc close Maxthon, reopen Maxthon thenopen Favorites Manager from the right hand menu. It will take some time to populate (it always does the first time in a session). Subsequent openings are practically instantaneous. Use the same method for the Side Bar Favorites Starbutton. It takes time to populate the first time it's used in a session.

2 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Jrel you aren't doing anything wrong. It's a bug. It's been reported by Secret HQ and myself more than once. The best I can tell you is clear your cache,  history etc close Maxthon, reopen Maxthon thenopen Favorites Manager from the right hand menu. It will take some time to populate (it always does the first time in a session). Subsequent openings are practically instantaneous. Use the same method for the Side Bar Favorites Starbutton. It takes time to populate the first time it's used in a session.

Thank you very much for the info,and also I forgot to thank 7twenty for all the previous help.  IDK though, I can import everything except for that one folder which makes MX Favorites stay blank for a long time.  I guess I could try waiting much longer.

Actually, that didn't work.  As soon as I sign into Passport, it blanks out Mx:Favorites - which started this thread, because MX:Favorites never populates my favorites from my passport account into it.  It isn't as if I just started using the current version and then 5 minutes later I made my original post yesterday.  This issue appeared when I updated it a couple days ago and I finally got some time yesterday to figure out a good place to make a post about it.  

ADDED: Okay, I think understand now what you said.  To just use the sidebar instead of the Favorites Manager? 

Added:  Well, it has been 42 minutes now and still nothing showing in the Favorites sidebar. I think the "To Buy" Favorite folder I mentioned earlier just contains something bad in it as 7twenty proposed.  

Edited by Jrel

Okay, I figured out the bad link.  When I exported my Favorites, one of the links in the "To Buy" Favorites folder got a period space period space added to the beginning of it, as in ". . Zennheiser EDM Drums.html" or perhaps my computer corrupted the filename, who knows.  So when I removed the two periods and spaces, and changed it to "Zennheiser EDM Drums.html" then I was able to do a successful import.

Version 4.9.3.1000 can't handle importing 1.5 MBs of Favorites. (Version 4.4.7.3000 can handle it easily, but the current version cannot). Importing that many Favorites will make the sidebar Favorites, and the Favorites Manager nonfunctional, or it appears they aren't working since they both remain completely blank for a long time (I waited 42 minutes) whereas version 4.4.7.3000 imported everything in maybe 10 seconds.  The Favorites toolbar will still populate with all the Favorites I imported.

So I am just going to import my Favorites one folder at a time in version 4.9.3.1000.  And done!  Unless someone wants me to test something else.  Thank you for the all help everyone!

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.