ViolentMonkey addon stopped working

AndroidDeveloperLB

after trying out some new scripts, now the plugin can't work anymore, and when trying to show the scripts, it shows a popup at the bottom right corner:

why does it happen?

how can i find out the new scripts, and maybe delete them?

i've even tried to go to the plugin website and update it, and also tried to disable & enable it. didn't work.

post-106-14315111981962_thumb.png

joemax replied at 2013-8-15 09:02 back.gif

Clean your cache, that's where the scripts are saved at the moment, at least I think they are still ...

clearing the cache didn't help.

i've also tried to install an old version of maxthon.

uninstalling the plugin and re-installing it still didn't help. i keep getting this error when trying to see the scripts that it has .

is it possible that it has a problematic script that i should remove? if so , how can i remove it?

:(

The author updated the addon 12 hours ago, you might try the latest(be sure to use violentmonkey2) for M4. You can get it here: https://github.com/gera2ld/Violentmonkey-for-Maxthon/wiki

P.S. I think you maybe using the wrong version, namely VM1 for M3. That error used to appear with M3 addons, I haven't seen it using M4.

And I was right, data is still stored in cache but it is possible to create a backup using advanced VM options.

Edit: There is a folder in %AppData%\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\your@email.com\AddonsData that corresponds to the number in the image of your first post. You might try deleting that also before reinstalling

Oh, and good luck. I haven't had any of the problems you're facing....

joemax replied at 2013-8-16 09:19 back.gif

The author updated the addon 12 hours ago, you might try the latest(be sure to use violentmonkey2) f ...

actually data is NOT stored in the localstorage-] cache. Or at least it wasn't, previously in ViolentMonkey. Yes, it should be in AddonsData. If it's been modded to go into another channel of storage, then it'd be more likely to use localstorage, NOT the cache. No extensions I know of, use it. It would be impractical. Clearing the cache does NOT clear localstorage . An example of an addon using localstorage would be Youtube Center.

And extensions with proper GUIDs, submitted with such, AUTO-update. Personally modded, non-uploaded ones, even ones uploaded to the forum but not the extension center, will NOT auto-update, given that a different GUID is inserted. If it uses the same GUID as the un-modded version, and there ends up being a new update on thre extension center, assuming you haven't changed the version number in def.json from the release you were originally modding, it will update the mxaddon file, and you will lose your mods. This happens, even withOUT sync enabled, because it's not simply sync'ing it; it's auto-updating. Sync'ing extensions works also by GUID, just by way of the same method, except it syncs no matter if there's a new version or not.

And removing an extension via the extensions manager, often leaves behind the addonsdata folder contents accorded to the correct addon. So, most need manual removal, anyway.

Try looking for a mxpackage internal url-named localstorage file and its companion file, named the same with journal at the end. Delete those. If you have multiples with different names, then you might either wanna know the GUID of ViolentMonkey, or be willing to risk losing possibly outdated or possibly current data for OTHER extensions, if you just purge all of them. Edit: now looking at the original post's screenshot: that mxpackage internal url should be what the localstorage one is named, should the dev have changed the method of storage, that is.

Also the date updated goes by Chinese time as far as I know, and it's only once approved, not simply successfully updated by the author, per se, not to be literal, sorry.

cooltext.png

@joemax , i've tried to remove the plugin and its folder on :

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest\AddonsData/

(according to the error that is shown).

then i've installed the latest version of the addon. still gives me the same error.

@Imanerd i don't understand. in which folder should i look ? what exactly should i do?

how come removing addons don't allow to remove their configurations? again with the same mistake that microsoft has done with its registry and garbage folders which don't get removed when uninstalling stuff?

UFO106 replied at 2013-8-16 15:36 back.gif

@joemax , i've tried to remove the plugin and its folder on :

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3 ...

hence why I use third party solutions for most of everything, to answer that last question. And call it oversight of coding. ALL things do it . It's NOT JUST Microsoft. Now back on topic, though.

here is where localstorage is: "%appdata%/Maxthon3/Users/EMAIL ---- NOT guest, only EMAIL or PHONE, regardless of what the error says]/LocalStorage/*". ---- AGAIN, Violentmonkey has for LONG, provided config storage in where joemax has stated for location, the AddonsData folder. I'm only suggesting a 2ND-alternative, if the author of Violentmonkey HAS actually changed to localstorage. I have been busy, so I haven't gotten the chance to read changelogs. Heck, I haven't even gotten around to updating Maxthon in SO long. But trying for that solution, all I'm saying is: it can't hurt to go ahead and try doing so.

cooltext.png

How come your guy's Maxthon is still in Maxthon3 folder?

About two versions ago or something Maxthon now installs in a "Maxthon" program folder.

I discovered this because I had Classic installed under that folder name, and had two Maxthon in the same folder directory and Maxthon3 was empty.

BTW, my violent monkey works fine. I install vs 2 way back, but I only use one script right now, Youtube Center.

leeuniverse replied at 2013-8-16 18:08 back.gif

About two versions ago or something Maxtho ...

hrm, as said, I've been busy with college. Now with a broken BIOS and HDD (Comodo Time Machine could NOT fix), I can't install Maxthon on my sister's computer. So I haven't been able to do testing.

I didn't realize it goes to Maxthon. Either way, the REST of the path IS correct.

cooltext.png

leeuniverse replied at 2013-8-16 15:08 back.gif

About two versions ago or something Maxtho ...

Maxthon4 still installs %appdata% into Maxthon3 folder, just a reminisce of M3 asa far as I know.

Although Imanerd states that configuration settings should not be stored in cache, the author says the actual scripts are for this extension and is the reason the author has a built in backup for the scripts you add.

joemax replied at 2013-8-16 20:33 back.gif

Maxthon4 still installs %appdata% into Maxthon3 folder, just a reminisce of M3 asa far as I know.

then it's a more commoner's use of terminology that's being used: localstorage acts as sort of a cache. But it's a miscellaneous settings cache and it's persistent (i.e., DOM). It's separate from the WEB cache.

That is what he had meant, most likely.

http://diveintohtml5.info/storage.html - some info.

cooltext.png

Imanerd replied at 2013-8-17 07:46 back.gif

so you don't use passport??...

no, i don't.

even since maxthon3 , maxthon has caused a mess of folders.

i think maxthon2 was the easiest to understand in terms of where are its files and folders - all were in the program files folder, no ?

anyway, back to my question: what exactly should i do?

UFO106 replied at 2013-8-17 10:53 back.gif

no, i don't.

even since maxthon3 , maxthon has caused a mess of folders.

in your guest folder, there's another folder named LocalStorage...look for the file and its journal-titled friend, named the internal GUID url in your screenshot. If there's a file there named as such, delete it. If there's not one, I'm sorry but I cannot think of anything further to possibly help.

it's the mxaddon-pkg thing.

cooltext.png

Imanerd replied at 2013-8-17 08:19 back.gif

in your guest folder, there's another folder named LocalStorage...look for the file and its journa ...

(almost) all files in the folder (C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest\LocalStorage) have a prefix of "http" .

how would i know which one is problematic?

what should be the name of the problematic file?

UFO106 replied at 2013-8-18 17:55 back.gif

(almost) all files in the folder (C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest\LocalStorage) ...

I've said it's the one from the screenshot you've provided in the original post. Too lazy to type it. Can't copy the text from an image, sadly.

mxaddon-pkg something. It's usually at the end, well due to alphabetization.

If there's not one, and they're actually not using addonsdata anymore, then I frankly have no idea where it's being held, however I'm still skeptical that it's in the normal web cache, VERY skeptical.

Try deleting that, if it's there, and then remove, yet again, if it's appeared again, the addonsdata's folder with THIS addon's GUID, and remove the mxaddon file with Maxthon closed, and reinstall. Reboot Maxthon again and see if it's fixed. Try, if worse comes to worse, deleting the browsing history, and IF NECESSARY, your cookies. Cache is, by default, auto-selected for auto-clear upon exit, assuming you have it set for exit-time. If not, do that manually. Backup these databases though, in case you have data you wanna keep, and in case it actually ends up NOT fixing the problem. I hate losing valuable persistent session cookies, such as for Google. I presume a lot of other people feel the same way.

If none of this ends up working, I honestly don't know what's happening, sorry. All I could suggest would be to lose all your user data by deleting the guest folder and having it re-auto-create upon startup, and thus a new beginning. I apologize.

cooltext.png

Imanerd replied at 2013-8-18 14:58 back.gif

I've said it's the one from the screenshot you've provided in the original post. Too lazy to type ...

the only file that exists there that resembles what you are saying is mxaddon-pkg__0.localstorage" .

there is no file that contains either "{" or a "77" (which is part of the GUID i've seen in the error) .

i will now try to remove the file or the entire folder to see if that helps.

ok, even after deleting the folder (when maxthon is closed), didn't help and i still get the exact same error.

the path is:

"C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest\LocalStorage"

i don't think deleting the folder did anything. everything works as before...

UFO106 replied at 2013-8-19 14:22 back.gif

the only file that exists there that resembles what you are saying is mxaddon-pkg__0.localstorage" ...

removing the whole folder wouldn't help. http ones just affect page configs of some sorts.

try deleting that one mxaddon-pkg one, please.

cooltext.png

UFO106 replied at 2013-8-20 13:58 back.gif

where exactly are all of the folders and files of maxthon?

maybe i should backup and try to find ...

trial and error is usually the best medicine in cases like these.

you already know of the %appdata% directory, and the program files (x86)...all that's left is the cache in %temp%.

cooltext.png

Archived