MX5 PC Beta Release 5.3.8.2100

BugSir006

- Fixed the issue that the font mactype could not be used

- Fixed the issue that the User Agent could not work properly

- Fixed the issue that download page could not be closed automatically under some circumstances

- Fixed the issue that some websites could not be toggled to the mobile developer mode

- Fixed the issue that some audio could not be played under some circumstances

- Fixed the issue that the installation page could not display properly in the Ukrainian language system

- Fixed the issue that the QR code could not work properly under some circumstance

- Fixed the issue that the translation error of the snap button in the Spanish language

- Fixed the issue that Skype for web could not work properly

i dont know if to laugh or cry - wheres the core update - that has to be the main priority not a few fixes that the bulk of the users have never seen the bugs

and 6 a few months away - it gets worse - really why are you still in the browser business - things have moved on and you are years behind

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

What doesn't work for me is the URL that generates the code.

This page, for example, generates a QR, and this URL, which gives an error of "404 page not found"

http://go.uu.me/qr/go?r_aHR0cDovL2ZvcnVtLm1heHRob24uY29tL2luZGV4LnBocD8vdG9waWMvMjQ1MTgtbXg1LXBjLWJldGEtcmVsZWFzZS01MzgyMTAwLw

Note:  Looks like that redirector's working now

9 hours ago, Tony said:

- wheres the core update -

Not happening because why bother wasting time on something that will be obsolete in a few months? Especially given the amount of time it takes them to get it done.

Spend 200 man hours on a core update on a product that will be obsolete in a few months. Or spend 20 hrs to fix some bugs and 180 hrs on the new iteration and get it out there sooner rather than later?

Seems like a pretty easy decision...

The only reason that wouldn't make sense is if MX6 is using MX5 as a base and any updated code for that would then be a part of MX6 anyway. But if they're working on MX6 being anything other than a chrome clone i think they barking up the wrong tree. They just need to make sure that it's unique enough that it stands out from all the other clones...

9 hours ago, Tony said:

that has to be the main priority not a few fixes that the bulk of the users have never seen the bugs

It is, except that it seems the core update will be part of MX6.

And how do you know these bugs weren't reported by many users? Don't use this forum as a yardstick to gauge activity of actual browser use. And just because you didn't run into any of those problems doesn't mean they weren't actually a problem.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, 7twenty said:

But if they're working on MX6 being anything other than a chrome clone i think they barking up the wrong tree. They just need to make sure that it's unique enough that it stands out from all the other clones...

Well, that most browsers have a chromiun core, does not automatically make them clones, everything depends on how they do other implementations, as is maxthon or even vivaldi itself, quite different from the "father".

As for the path it should take, as you say depends on what users want, which will be those who use the browser.

I think it has already been commented here, but for example, http://chrome.360.cn/ , has practically the same appearance of mathon (settings included), but supports chrome extensions 

Now I'm playing with it a little bit. I may have found the browser jump I needed, too bad many things are in Chinese :)

Come on, guys! We know nothing about Maxthon and MX6, absolutely nothing!

How many people do work in Maxthon and how many people do work on MX6? This is really important, because sometime it looks like there are only Chen (as developer) and Zhang (as support and promotion). Your expectations from the browser should be relevant to the number of developers. Vivaldi and Brave has several dozens of employees and as I know Vivaldi has 3 special developer who responsible for Chromium updating. Does Maxthon have special developers who will work only with Chromium updates? I don't think so.

Chromium update cycle is about 40 days. Small team just can not work on the browser and at the same time try to update Chromium every 40 days.But today for Maxthon this is not so important as for Vivaldi, Brave or Opera. MX has own UI, own extensions, own sync and many other own services. Very often Chromium vulnerabilities aren't relevant to MX. So in this case (before MX6) old Chromium is not so important as own MX vulnerabilities (we already know at least two cases). So updates is important, but it's not so important as we think. If MX updates own code and ignores Chromium updates, this is not so bad as it could be.

But... Why not Firefox? Firefox has ESR version - 1 update instead of 7, several months instead of 40 days. Tor, Cliqz (I think) and probably other Firefox-based browsers use ESR versions. Honestly, I hope Brave will be based of Firefox, because we already have too many Chromiums and we don't need another one. Eich chose Chromium, because he had no time to wait for Firefox Quantun. Von Tetzchner chose Chromium, because he just could not realize all there UI changes of Firefox. But Eich and Tetzchner have big enough teams. But what about MX?

I think we
have too many Chromium-based browsers. Now I try to support Firefox and Firefox-based browsers. I see all potential problems, but... Today Google owns Chromium and it could be a problem. I don't want to live in the world of the only browser and I'm ready to accept some changes. @MaxthonJeff, if you haven't started working on MX6 yet, think about Firefox: less opportunity to change UI, but you still can add popular MX features. Nobody will notice another Chromium, but another Firefox... maybe...

14 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Well, that most browsers have a chromiun core, does not automatically make them clones, everything depends on how they do other implementations, as is maxthon or even vivaldi itself, quite different from the "father".

Except that the way that MX and Vivaldi and the other "clones" work is different. When i say clones, i mean those browsers that build on Chromium, not those that use CEF, which is apparently what MX uses based on comments here previously. 

Other browsers seem to use more of the chromium base feature set. I don't completely understand the details behind it but i think it's something like this: CEF basically gives you the very basics of chromium to make a browser (or any other program that requires browsing abilities) just work, including the Blink render engine. Then you need to build out the UI, sync, etc. and whatever other customer facing and behind the scenes elements.

Others use Chromium as a base including UI which they modify either slightly or considerably, and all the behind the scenes code such as settings/error pages, behind the scenes goodies etc.

So while the MX team is less restricted it's also hamstrung working on things that the chromium base already has. It's also a reason why MS Edge has come along way in the last year as they have a very strong base to work from (and probably a decent sized team), and they only need to modify what they feel is important for their browser. They also scrapped much of the Google related code from chromium, so there is much that can be done to make a Chromium clone a more unique clone without being stuck in the current MX style of development with CEF.

If someone could confirm or clarify that description it would be nice.

8 hours ago, Galileusz said:

Jeff has posted such an entry on the Telegram

0.jpg

Well, bitelf, it's another chromiun clone (and to my understanding, because of what I've played with it, quite a lot of crap with the LVT theme) and I think you can't get anything good out of it, apart from the whole addon theme and hopefully the flags

By the way, the most updated version is a little newer than maxthon's, but quite old with respect to the rest of the browsers

Core Version: Chromium 71.0.3578.80

We'll see how all this ends (if it does :titter: )

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Others use Chromium as a base including UI which they modify either slightly or considerably, and all the behind the scenes code such as settings/error pages, behind the scenes goodies etc.

Yes, I figured your comment was in that direction and it was about those kind of clones

4 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Yes, I figured your comment was in that direction and it was about those kind of clones

Yes, but that's exactly what I think MX6 should be; Chromium + whatever the dev's think will make MX unique. There's no need to try and build almost everything from the ground up when you have a perfectly viable base kit to start from.

BUT the problem is there's not much left to stand out from the crowd. Chrome is Chrome, Edge is pushing privacy and not being Google, Brave is pushing privacy really hard, Vivaldi is all about customisation & user choice, almost all have screenshot tools, PiP is now a standard feature in chromium (albeit not as good as MX or Opera's implementation).

What do you do to make people say "hey this is interesting, i might give it a go instead of Chrome/FF/Opera etc.."

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Yes, but that's exactly what I think MX6 should be; Chromium + whatever the dev's think will make MX unique. There's no need to try and build almost everything from the ground up when you have a perfectly viable base kit to start from.

I think exactly the same and I totally agree with what you say.

With that dynamic (as others already have), you take a lot of work off your shoulders and focus on the "personal" implementations you want to bring to it from that particular vision.

Also the cycles of updates and improvements, especially in the security issue would be, I think, shorter and would be on par with the competition (if we consider maxthon as a competition :-) 

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

BUT the problem is there's not much left to stand out from the crowd. Chrome is Chrome, Edge is pushing privacy and not being Google, Brave is pushing privacy really hard, Vivaldi is all about customisation & user choice, almost all have screenshot tools, PiP is now a standard feature in chromium (albeit not as good as MX or Opera's implementation).

I think that maxthon (that's why I'm still here) does have some things that stand out from the others you mention. 

Others have screen captures, but as functional as maxthon's (there are some more that are of this type), capturing not only the web screen, but anything on the desktop.

In the video theme, as you say, I still like more how maxthon has it implemented, not for the visualization but for the video download.

The split screen that maxthon has, I don't know if with some extension you could have it in chromiun's

The change of core (yes, it is already mounted by someone else)

That's why I put as an example http://chrome.360.cn, because it seems to me that it has almost the best of both worlds. It has the chromiun base as we are talking about, but it has left the Pip, very similar to maxthon, the screen capture, the settings page is almost a copy of maxthon, etc.

Maxthon lacks that detail, about the addons, flags etc, that the chromiun platform gives him, but leaving in his irterface, his PiP, current screen capture, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have one problem with this Maxthon release (v5.3.8.2100) and the previous version. Location determination does not work on my Windows 10, on Google Maps, Goggle Search etc. Location determination work with IE 11 and Microsoff Edge - On the same PC as Maxthon. But Maxthon constantly writes: "Your location could not be determined." WHY? 
Anyone else have this problem? Or am I left-handed?

maxthon_location_issue.jpg

15 hours ago, TarMaster said:

Hello! I have one problem with this Maxthon release (v5.3.8.2100) and the previous version. Location determination does not work on my Windows 10, on Google Maps, Goggle Search etc. Location determination work with IE 11 and Microsoff Edge - On the same PC as Maxthon. But Maxthon constantly writes: "Your location could not be determined." WHY? 
Anyone else have this problem? Or am I left-handed?

maxthon_location_issue.jpg

Untitled.png

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Sorry for the delay. This issue has been submitted to the dev team as a bug.

It's not working to me either.But it's been so for quite some time.But I thought was something messed up in my windows installation,because on some other apps is not working too.

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:10 PM, 7twenty said:

What do you do to make people say "hey this is interesting, i might give it a go instead of Chrome/FF/Opera etc.."

The same reason people went for MX2 wasnt the trident engine but the shell

Stuff like SRWare died but so did Rockmelt. I'd say people are fine w/ mediocrity but it is more in the features than the single-issue matters...Palemoon "capitalizes" on optimization, a x64 version that sets it apart Waterfox for those unwilling to use the nightly

Maybe loyalty is keyer than trying to swipe vivaldi fans but that is where many went prior to Maxthon switching

It is less the base but is the features that merely ported to chromium at current arent that of the older versions, ours

So we tried to be chromium prior becoming it. That was a mistake. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, what in the engine can be tweaked? What cannot be done by mere addons? Most consumers like ease (TVMC) but...ok sounds crappy aloud but a sleeker GUI (ubuntu) Look, that adds nothing. I think you're right but we're trying to be MX4 gone chromium

The cloud is good. That is something, chromium syncs but MX4 synced downloads etc.. We need more than that but it is a step in a cloud age, what makes this unique isnt just the direction like privacy or customization but what youre able to customize, what control do users've over their data? People want less so much to clear e.g. this data as know they can. Google does but it doesnt offer all the aspects we can Like adhunter, it was no abp but maybe people preferred the format. You can rename features but if we can't tweak its core features, let's at least redesign its usability The main benefit to engine uniformity is compatibility but chromium isnt just blink. It means it needs to offer not just something tweaked of chromium but added onto it. i dont mean bloaty

Older versions of MX offered not just a direction but a multifunctional array of purposes. Vivaldi i think is more it than Brave we wanna go but what separates us from that? Go customization, incl. privacy but make privacy our own, offer customization vivaldi lacks. beat them to long-neglected drawbacks by reading their forums. I dont mean bugs...theyve an issue w/ U2F, much of maxthon's had bugs, not just QR but something kept them coming

Community management, we tried to revive the browser fanbase. that is good but no replacement. Likewise, lack of community didnt care what features it offered There is no community after much the team left but what caused it? Look back to 2011, you need a browser to sell to even engage a community. That family kept people on loyalty but loyalty isnt attraction

Maybe we could offer a smartfilter of sorts? Win10 already does I think the issue is we wanna keep the old base during the MX4 zenith but mx4 was more than just a collection of features Sometimes being the little guy isnt a disadvantage but an advantage. Nobody trusts google, vivaldi had a former base It isnt impossible to draw ours back but mx3 had mx2 buried in it. all that is mx4 in mx5 is a brandname

I think the reason privacy a singleissue attracts isnt just a gimmick but which trend. Customization is continual innovation than marketing. It transcends Eventually singleissues die out. Audiences stick so long theres more a development hearing than a voice engaging

I never said this as i felt uncomfy admitting but while my life complications both terrific+crippling took me away, my unease the trajectory, progress of mx was a deciding factor in accepting health a more important issue or else idve ignored it till i couldnt anymore to stay

Maybe i sensed we'd endup here, idk but i never meant to abandon it. Look, my loyalty got my parents to install it. Theyve long since deleted it. Their beef was dock errors, updates

Maybe if i spokeup, this couldve been prevented, idk

cooltext.png

Archived