Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perplexer

Can't type in textfields & "Always open links in a new tab" question

18 posts in this topic

1. Bug report. Can anyone reproduce?

I noticed that when I open some website which has a search / text field on the first page (for example https://www.njuskalo.hr), I can't start typing into that textfield even if the cursor is already blinking in it. This happens if I open the website via favorites and when the option "Open a new tab from Favorites" is DISABLED under "New tab action" in Settings -> General. So basically I open a New tab, click on the bookmark for www.njuskalo.hr in favorites and the website will open with the cursor already blinking in the search textfield. If I immediately start typing, nothing will happen. I have to manually click inside the textfield or I have to click on the tab itself (as to "activate" it).

This issue does not appear if I open the website by manually typing its address into the address bar or if the "Open a new tab from Favorites" option in Settings/General is ENABLED. It also doesn't appear if I open it by clicking on a link that takes me to that website (like a link in this post). The bug only appears if I open the website from favorites. I am using installed versions 5.2.5.4000 and 5.3.8.500 beta.

2. "Always open links in a new tab" question

There is an option called "Always open links in a new tab" in Settings -> General -> New tab action.
Can anyone explain with a detailed example what this option means and what it does ? As I understand it, it should always open a clicked link in a separate new tab, but the links on all websites that I visit always open in the current tab. Can someone clarify ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Perplexer said:

2. "Always open links in a new tab" question

There is an option called "Always open links in a new tab" in Settings -> General -> New tab action.
Can anyone explain with a detailed example what this option means and what it does ? As I understand it, it should always open a clicked link in a separate new tab, but the links on all websites that I visit always open in the current tab. Can someone clarify ?

Means that all the links "outside" the current domain (so different from the current) are opened in a new tab, as you stay in the same domain (~ same website) you stay in the same tab.

Generally a website keeps the reader in is own domain .... 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Perplexer said:

1. Bug report. Can anyone reproduce?

I noticed that when I open some website which has a search / text field on the first page (for example https://www.njuskalo.hr), I can't start typing into that textfield even if the cursor is already blinking in it. This happens if I open the website via favorites and when the option "Open a new tab from Favorites" is DISABLED under "New tab action" in Settings -> General. So basically I open a New tab, click on the bookmark for www.njuskalo.hr in favorites and the website will open with the cursor already blinking in the search textfield. If I immediately start typing, nothing will happen. I have to manually click inside the textfield or I have to click on the tab itself (as to "activate" it).

This issue does not appear if I open the website by manually typing its address into the address bar or if the "Open a new tab from Favorites" option in Settings/General is ENABLED. It also doesn't appear if I open it by clicking on a link that takes me to that website (like a link in this post). The bug only appears if I open the website from favorites. I am using installed versions 5.2.5.4000 and 5.3.8.500 beta.

 

Tested ,but no problems here.

As things have encountered for many years, the "focus" is sometime difficult to affect automatically to the apparent active "Window".

the Window above others is not always the active one, a blinking cursor does not indicate that the tab or window possess the Focus, it could be an autonomous blinking box , java or flash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Perplexer said:

1. Bug report. Can anyone reproduce?

I noticed that when I open some website which has a search / text field on the first page (for example https://www.njuskalo.hr), I can't start typing into that textfield even if the cursor is already blinking in it. This happens if I open the website via favorites and when the option "Open a new tab from Favorites" is DISABLED under "New tab action" in Settings -> General. So basically I open a New tab, click on the bookmark for www.njuskalo.hr in favorites and the website will open with the cursor already blinking in the search textfield. If I immediately start typing, nothing will happen. I have to manually click inside the textfield or I have to click on the tab itself (as to "activate" it).

This issue does not appear if I open the website by manually typing its address into the address bar or if the "Open a new tab from Favorites" option in Settings/General is ENABLED. It also doesn't appear if I open it by clicking on a link that takes me to that website (like a link in this post). The bug only appears if I open the website from favorites. I am using installed versions 5.2.5.4000 and 5.3.8.500 beta.

It also happens to me with v5.3.8.500 portable (I have not tested with the last stable)

Edit: With the last stable it happens the same :Flushed_Face_Emoji_42x42:

In both cases, it only happens when I disable "Open a new tab from Favorites" in general settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

 

It also happens to me with v5.3.8.500 portable (I have not tested with the last stable)

 

 

It does work for me with the cleanly installed version of 5.3.8.500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

It does work for me with the cleanly installed version of 5.3.8.500.

Yes (it does not work), with a clean portable installation, both in v5.3.8.500, and in v5.2.7.2000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Yes (it does not work), with a clean portable installation, both in v5.3.8.500, and in v5.2.7.2000

Try with an installed version and see if it works.

Trata con una versión instalada a ver si trabaja.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Try with an installed version and see if it works.

 

I have downloaded and installed the "installable" versions v5.2.7.2000 and v5.3.8.500 and the same thing happens.

The moment you enter the page (which will be on the same page that we found, NOT a new one), and try to write, nothing happens under the clinking courses, for example the google page

Remember that for the failure to occur, you must disable "Open a new tab from Favorites" in settings

Personally, it is something that I had not noticed, since I do not see it as something very serious either. I am more uncomfortable the failure of having to write 2 times in the url bar, because the first one is deleted, as in the beta version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Perplexer said:

1. Bug report. Can anyone reproduce?

Bug reported. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

 

I have downloaded and installed the "installable" versions v5.2.7.2000 and v5.3.8.500 and the same thing happens.

The moment you enter the page (which will be on the same page that we found, NOT a new one), and try to write, nothing happens under the clinking courses, for example the google page

Remember that for the failure to occur, you must disable "Open a new tab from Favorites" in settings

Personally, it is something that I had not noticed, since I do not see it as something very serious either. I am more uncomfortable the failure of having to write 2 times in the url bar, because the first one is deleted, as in the beta version

14 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

 

I have downloaded and installed the "installable" versions v5.2.7.2000 and v5.3.8.500 and the same thing happens.

The moment you enter the page (which will be on the same page that we found, NOT a new one), and try to write, nothing happens under the clinking courses, for example the google page

Remember that for the failure to occur, you must disable "Open a new tab from Favorites" in settings

Personally, it is something that I had not noticed, since I do not see it as something very serious either. I am more uncomfortable the failure of having to write 2 times in the url bar, because the first one is deleted, as in the beta version

Ok, I unchecked that setting "Open a new tab from Favorites" and clicking on your link above, I can still type directly in that search field.  Let me re-start the browser and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Ok, I re-started the browser and it still works for me.  Maybe another setting that's causing the problem?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Ok, I unchecked that setting "Open a new tab from Favorites" and clicking on your link above, I can still type directly in that search field.  Let me re-start the browser and see if that makes any difference.

 

I can write if I point to the search field for example with the mouse, no problem.
I just can not write in that field, if nothing else load the page, I type anything with the keyboard (without fixing the mouse in the search field)

 

3 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

EDIT: Ok, I re-started the browser and it still works for me.  Maybe another setting that's causing the problem?

Possibly, there will be so many variables in each system, namely what is :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18. 3. 2019 at 6:40 PM, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Ok, I unchecked that setting "Open a new tab from Favorites" and clicking on your link above, I can still type directly in that search field.  Let me re-start the browser and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Ok, I re-started the browser and it still works for me.  Maybe another setting that's causing the problem?

 

Since you apparently missed the mention of "Open a new tab from Favorites" needing to be disabled from my original post, there is a good chance you missed something else as well. Read my original post again very carefully and follow the steps in it very carefully, and you should be able to reproduce the bug. Do not just click on the link from this forum. You have to click on it from your favorites/bookmarks. So bookmark it first and then open the site from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Perplexer said:

Since you apparently missed the mention of "Open a new tab from Favorites" needing to be disabled from my original post, there is a good chance you missed something else as well. Read my original post again very carefully and follow the steps in it very carefully, and you should be able to reproduce the bug. Do not just click on the link from this forum. You have to click on it from your favorites/bookmarks. So bookmark it first and then open the site from there.

Regardless of whether it is a Favorite, which I do have it on my Favorites Bar, or not, I can still type in that search area.

 

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello Perplexer ,

i've made a check with my configuration :

first i do not use the Favorite bar, but an extension : http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id=3024.

As i place myself in the same config described , so do not open a new tab from .. : From the Favorite Bar as for my Extension , the link is opened on the current Tab but the focus stays in the Favorite Bar or Extension bar, the only case where it works is when the link is called from Maxnote itself ( because it opens a new tab ).

As i use "open a new tab from .." , the focus follows the opening of the new tab.

Following my experience in software dev, you could not consider that this way of working is buggy, as you open in front a window and acts in it, you fix the focus inside, you will certainly not accept that a windows that was in background before catch the focus, despite you change its content from an action from the first window.

Will say, thankfully !!!!      

the fact of opening a new window is different, because in this case it's a different and deliberate function that you use, you open a new tab and pass the focus to it.

 

Is it more clear to you ?   

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically you are right but this is an issue ... a bad design! Every other browser does NOT suffer from this problem. When you click on the bookmark link, the current tab should get focus and load the page. That's how other browsers do it. Only Maxthon has a problem here. Or at least it does for me and apparently pantantrollo. No.1MaxthonFan claims that it's working OK for him, so perhaps there is another variable at play here that I don't know about. But that doesn't help me at this point in time. For me it doesn't work and I have to manually move my mouse and CLICK into the textfield or onto the tab name (to "activate" it) before I can start typing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed version 5.3.8.600 and observed a slight difference.

If the bookmark to a website containing a search textfield is created directly on the favorites bar (and is not hidden!) then a click on that bookmark will open the page and typing into the textfield will work immediately, without having to click in it.

However, if the bookmark is created inside of some folder on the favorites bar OR if the bookmark is accessed via the arrow that appears if the favorites bar is full (or if Maxthon window is resized) then typing in the search file on the page opened by that bookmark will not work immediately (you will have to manually click into the textfield).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Perplexer said:

However, if the bookmark is created inside of some folder on the favorites bar OR if the bookmark is accessed via the arrow that appears if the favorites bar is full (or if Maxthon window is resized) then typing in the search file on the page opened by that bookmark will not work immediately (you will have to manually click into the textfield).

As you can see in my image above, the link is located at the end of my favorites bar and I have to click on the arrows in order to access that link, but I can still type immediately in that search area. I don't know what is so different in my installation, but regardless of how or where I access that link, I can type immedeately in that search area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you have "Open a new tab from Favorites" DISABLED under "New tab action" in Settings -> General ? If it's enabled then clicking on a bookmark will always open it's own new tab and then it will work correctly. If you do have it disabled then that is indeed a mystery.

And you are using the left mouse button when clicking on the bookmark, right? You're not using some kind of middle mutton which itself then opens the bookmark in a new tab or some other trick like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites