Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AaronX

Maxthon issues on clean Windows 10 install

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've just had to reinstall Windows and after a few false starts am finally properly up and running.

However, Maxthon (latest, v5.2.7.400) is behaving very oddly: websites on maxthon.com (such as this, which I'm using through the browser right now) work fine, but everything else, including the obvious likes of Google and the BBC, returns "Error code 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT)".

I did briefly have my Gmail inbox loading (although no pictures in any of the emails would load), and got a CSS-less page from the MSI website, but now nothing works at all.

Additionally, I was going to un- and re-install Maxthon before posting this, but find it's not in the Windows apps list. So I can't.

I'm not using a proxy or VPN of any kind. Other devices all work fine. Edge on this same computer works fine. Windows (10 Pro x64) and all drivers are fully updated.

Help!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to uninstall Maxthon via the Windows app list. If you installed the install version, simply delete the folder you installed it into. And if it was a clean install, which it sounds like it was, also find the data folder in AppData>Roaming>Maxthon5 and delete that as well and just start over. If you are using the portable version, it is even easier; just delete it all and start again. In either case, maybe even download the version again just to make sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magdalene said:

No luck. :-(

 

49 minutes ago, rick.lane said:

You don't need to uninstall Maxthon via the Windows app list. If you installed the install version, simply delete the folder you installed it into. And if it was a clean install, which it sounds like it was, also find the data folder in AppData>Roaming>Maxthon5 and delete that as well and just start over. If you are using the portable version, it is even easier; just delete it all and start again. In either case, maybe even download the version again just to make sure.

 

Ah, thanks. I'll try that next, however...

I've just installed Google Chrome and that is experiencing that same behaviour, which suggests it's wider than a MX problem. Yet all other apps seem fine, it's restricted to browsers. I can't even log in to Chrome due to the intermittent ability to access google.com. But again, maxthon.com works fine, and everything is still working in Edge.

I had no separate anti-virus/security software installed when the problem first occurred. I've now installed Avira and no change. I've also tried disabling the firewalls in Windows Defender, and making sure both Chrome and MX have access. Again, no change.

Baffling.

 

I can confirm I've pinged various of the inaccessible sites and they all return with 0% loss. I've also run netsh winsock reset, which I saw suggested elsewhere to a similar problem, with no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha! It is secure sites - https - that are blocked. No closer to finding a fix though. Insecure, non-SSL sites seem to be loading. Perhaps slightly slowly, but they do work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have IPv6 enabled? If not - try to enable

You don't need to use this protocol and not even having them setup. Just enable checkbox for this protocol in network card properties.

There are was a problem in Windows 10 with Internet communication with IPv6 enabled due to new TCP/IP stack realisation. Especially with Metro APP like MS Store. And I'm not sure this problem is completely solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPv6 is indeed enabled.

I had a temporary breakthrough last night, with the Internet Properties function 'Reset all zones to default level' as described in point 2 here. This seemed to fix Maxthon but had no effect on Chrome. This morning however, it's back to being broken. (I've checked everything else on that page and nothing else has any effect.)

In fact, sometimes Maxthon does seem to access SSL successfully upon initial launch, but then grinds to a halt. Don't know if that's coincidence with the sites I happen to be opening to try to check connectivity though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up and did a clean install of Windows. Now working fine. Interminably frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites