Closing Explorer closes Maxthon

Paultx2

Trying to apply a fix to a drag and drop problem in Windows 10, one thing happened that I want your help to know why.

Every time we close Explorer via Task Manager, Windows makes some sort of refreshing, so it closes all icons on the desktop and on the taskbar. To get all back, we have to restart Explorer using the Task Manager (as explained in the tutorial linked above).

But AFAICR it doesn't close the programs that are running. Today, however, I was running Chrome, Maxthon and Winamp (v. 5.666).

I started the procedure, Windows closed all the icons, kept Chrome opened but closed Maxthon and Winamp. Why that happened?

In Windows10 there's a Restart option on the context menu. Use that instead.

Programs shouldn't close when doing a explorer restart. But it could be there's a hook into explorer for some reason and closing it causes some instability which forces the program to close. Not sure, just a theory.

I reproduced the scenario: Maxthon, Chrome, Winamp, plus EditPad Lite running. 

For testing purposes I selected Explorer in the Task Manager, chose End task —instead of End process tree (as suggested in the linked tutorial)—and after the Explorer restart all the programs were still running. Same with the Restart option.

So the problem is related to End process tree. Now I wonder why Chrome is not affected by it.

20 hours ago, karajan said:

End Process: will end/kill/close the current application.

End Process Tree: will end/kill/close the current application plus all related service and applications it has spawned.

I understood that but don't get why Maxthon and Winamp (and possibly other programs) are in that Explorer "process tree" but Chrome is not.

Archived