Posting in announcement threads

Tony

@7twenty why do you feel the need to move comments from this thread you say in the new thread you have created

No one should be posting in there anyway

i think the post above disagrees with you 

On 10/18/2018 at 1:43 PM, BugSir006 said:

Happy browser and leave your comment!

comments here are more relevant and maybe more likely to be seen - i accept that not all posters can post in the section that is the error imo not the posts from those who can

if the bugs dont want comment they should lock the thread not restrict access - i doubt they even know that flag is set

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

2 hours ago, Tony said:

why do you feel the need to move comments from this thread

Had you quoted (and read) the full paragraph, you would have your answer.

I've bolded it for you in case you missed it.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:04 PM, 7twenty said:

Posts have been merged into here. No one should be posting in there anyway. It's an announcement forum so regular users don't have access to those forums.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

i think the post above disagrees with you 

If you want to read it literally, sure. But if you read between the lines and note that this is a support forum with different sections for different things, you'll notice there's a specific forum that deals with support issues. The thread was posted in an Announcement section.

Otherwise we may as well just have one section and people can post whatever they want mixed in with everything else.

And we've been through this before, it used to be noted in the posts that issues should be created in the support section. Due to the revolving door that is the bugsir* account, it's been dropped at some stage.

It also says "Happy Browser", based on that maybe we should be reading between the lines.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

comments here are more relevant and maybe more likely to be seen

Highly dependent on how you browse the forum.

I use the unread activity stream feature, anything unread is shown, doesn't matter where it is.

If you manually look through for unread posts, then you may miss it, especially if you don't look in the announcement forum. That was one that I never frequented.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

i accept that not all posters can post in the section that is the error imo not the posts from those who can

That's the way it was setup by one of the previous bug*s. An oversight possibly, or maybe they were thinking that people would take note of the "post issues in the support forum" line when it was there. The only user levels able to post there were MX master and moderators. Will revise it, or change the forum to read only.

But when it comes to tracking issues, a separate thread for each issue is the best way to do it. This way you can see when it happened, what was done to try and fix it, update the thread if new versions fix or still have the issue. And it's easier follow a problem as you're not reading through other posts about someones QA issue, or login problems, or extension problem, or broken youtube, or <insert whatever website> that doesn't load.

Long post, but hey, you asked for an explanation.

And yes, i moved these posts as well!

as you want it - i disagree but you do it as you want - there are no lines to read between imo but again if you see it like that then fine - like something else we all have opinions 

Yes we do all have opinions, but you'll notice mine came with reasons supporting my actions and arguments against yours.

Falling back on the "leave your comment" phrase, which can be read literally or within the context of the forum as noted above, while does support your argument, i gave counter-arguments as to why I thought it wasn't good idea to allow comments in that forum/thread.

Looking at it from another view; would you prefer the main support section have only threads for each version of MX? That way if a user has a problem with 5.2.5, then they post the issue in that thread only, which may also have 10 other problems mentioned?

If this was a reddit style forum, where each post can have it's own thread within the main thread, then that could work. How things are setup here i don't think it's viable.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

i disagree

reasons??

"A strawberry tastes nice" is an opinion.

"A strawberry tastes nice because it's sweet" is an opinion with a reason to support it..

See the difference?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 5:58 AM, -ody- said:

@Tony : 7Twenty is right except for one thing : we decided this together  a while ago, for the reasons he mentions above.

without wishing to be pedantic - it seems this is not true - hopefully rob will be consistent!

18 minutes ago, -ody- said:

lol ! rules are made to be broken :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

fully agree - but someone did not think so - i notice 7twenty on the board - i wonder...............................................

Archived