Dragging and Dropping Current Webpage to Internet Shortcut

Ascii2

Using Maxthon, can one drag and drop a webpage, URL, or some other indicator of the webpage to the system shell to create an Internet Shortcut file?  I have not yet found a way to quickly create Internet Shortcut files with Maxthon.

If one cannot drag and drop a loaded webpage to a shortcut, are there other methods to quickly create an Internet Shortcut file?

I am using Maxthon v5.2.4.3000 on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

EDIT:  I found a way that works, but is not as comfortable as it could be:
1. Start with the URL in the URL bar not selected or in with the selection cursor present.
2. Click the URL once to have the entire URL deselected.
3. Drag and drop the URL to an Internet Shortcut by clicking and holding on the selected URL and then dragging and releasing to a shell folder where one wants an Internet Shortcut created.

It would be preferable to perform the drag and drop to Internet Shortcut quicker.  Perhaps it may be implemented to click and hold the padlock icon that appears to the left of the URL and dragging it to a shell folder.

@BugSire006 - The "Send To..." option creates a file shortcut file (*.lnk file) and not an Internet shortcut file (*.url file).  The file shortcut file created is a binary file that run the Maxthon application and passes the webpage information as an argument; a created Internet Shortcut is an ANSI text file that specifies a webpage and various option parameters.

6 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

@BugSire006 - The "Send To..." option creates a file shortcut file (*.lnk file) and not an Internet shortcut file (*.url file).  The file shortcut file created is a binary file that run the Maxthon application and passes the webpage information as an argument; a created Internet Shortcut is an ANSI text file that specifies a webpage and various option parameters.

It seems to me that an "Internet shprtcut" is just a "bookmark" in a separate file.  I don'tsee why you don't just bookmark the webpage and pick it from your bookmarks list the next time.

Did I get your intent correctly?

<<SL>>

6 hours ago, Ascii2 said:

Hi Ascii2,

Currently, this function is not available for Maxthon 5. But your request has been forwarded to the product team. :wink:

2 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

It seems to me that an "Internet shprtcut" is just a "bookmark" in a separate file.  I don'tsee why you don't just bookmark the webpage and pick it from your bookmarks list the next time.

I understand that I might want to have only a few markers, for example to take to another site, copy them in a USB, or anything else.

Sometimes I am forced to them, since from the markers, you can not export specific markers or for example only a folder of those markers, with which you have to export all the markers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 4:41 AM, SnowLeopard said:

I do not believe that you understood the intent.

An Internet Shortcut file that i refer to is an ANSI text file that has information relating to a web page (and I also believe that it can reference embedded frames as well).  It includes the "[InternetShortcut]" section heading and defines various parameters, usually having at least a URL, and ends on an blank line.  The file names are usually in the form *.url.  Other optional parameters include favorites icon, modified dates, frame pages details, etc.  These files are usually easily searchable, are standalone, and are not proprietary to a particular browser or a browser's path location.

My particular use cases include portability of webpage references (especially where the browser is not also ported), conveying the files to others, and to use to open different web browsers to the Internet address reference.

Maxthon does currently include a method to create an Internet Shortcut via drag and drop using the method I specified in the first post to this thread, but it is not quick or comfortable to use.

For example, creating an Internet Shortcut for this thread using Maxthon 5, creates a *.url file with the following contents:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/23824-dragging-and-dropping-current-webpage-to-internet-shortcut/

On 9/30/2018 at 5:08 AM, BugSir006 said:

Hi Ascii2,

Currently, this function is not available for Maxthon 5. But your request has been forwarded to the product team. :wink:

Thank you BugSir006.  I think it would also be good to allow Maxthon stored bookmarks from anyplace (bookmarks bar, bookmarks menu, etc.) to be dragged and dropped to Internet Shortcut.

Archived