http://i.maxthon.com/en-us.htm

BGFun

I moved away from maxthon for awhile and thought I would come back to see if things have improved and maybe start using it again. So, I installed v5.4.2.3000 and the ever lasting problem on http://i.maxthon.com/en-us.htm of location and weather and the ever present "Loading" issue has not been dealt with. I used to install maxthon on customer computers and the weather was always a selling point for customers to switch to maxthon. But the problem still exists even though I mentioned this MONTHS ago.There is no option to set location, just continuous "Loading". I copied and pasted the error codes here from the page element console which i present again here

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'query' of null
    at Object.success (f3c2f04a.app.js:2)
    at l (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:1)
    at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:1)
    at d (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:3)
    at XMLHttpRequest.d (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:3)
2en-us.htm:52 A Parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, http://w.cnzz.com/c.php?id=30098323, is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message.See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.
(anonymous) @ en-us.htm:52
torrentz.eu/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
thepiratebay.se/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
linksynergy.walmart.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
onlineservices.mayoclinic.org/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
c.duomai.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
www.southernminn.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
store-zt3br2s.mybigcommerce.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
s44.photobucket.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
www.gmail.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

So, without this Weather feature, i cannot recommend Maxthon to my customers as no one wants something on the startup page to have something does not work and keeps "Loading". I have tried the NEW install on TWO separate machines with the same results.

2nd issue. i know I have mentioned this before. I also use the Maxthon startpage http://i.maxthon.com/en-us.htm ,  as a type of Quick Access type page. I use the "Your Favorites" On the Maxthon startpage for all my regular sites. It seems within the last version or so, the way Maxthon handles cookies has changed once again leaving us without our startpage "Your favorites" links and saved passwords for those links in "Your Favorites". Can someone tell me where and what files Now contain that information? It used to be in the localstorage folder and stored in the http_ i.maxthon.com_0.localstorage file. This file also used to be the way I corrected the Weather "Loading" issue just before I just gave up on Maxthon for that issue. I used to really like the Maxthon browser and had used it since about 2005 or so, but too many changes that have left features with bugs or left users with having to rebuild the startup page with no warning or alternative for recovering those lost cookies and using them in the next version, is what has pushed me to seeking alternative browsers like Opera. I would be happy to come back but simple things that simple customers like have been pushed aside for more advanced users, which I AM one, however most customers are not and Quick Access and Passkeeper are too complicated for many users.

5 hours ago, BGFun said:

I moved away from maxthon for awhile and thought I would come back to see if things have improved and maybe start using it again. So, I installed v5.4.2.3000 and the ever lasting problem on http://i.maxthon.com/en-us.htm of location and weather and the ever present "Loading" issue has not been dealt with. I used to install maxthon on customer computers and the weather was always a selling point for customers to switch to maxthon. But the problem still exists even though I mentioned this MONTHS ago.There is no option to set location, just continuous "Loading". I copied and pasted the error codes here from the page element console which i present again here

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'query' of null
    at Object.success (f3c2f04a.app.js:2)
    at l (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:1)
    at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:1)
    at d (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:3)
    at XMLHttpRequest.d (5b2dc7d8.lib.js:3)
2en-us.htm:52 A Parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, http://w.cnzz.com/c.php?id=30098323, is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message.See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.
(anonymous) @ en-us.htm:52
torrentz.eu/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
thepiratebay.se/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
linksynergy.walmart.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
onlineservices.mayoclinic.org/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
c.duomai.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
www.southernminn.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
store-zt3br2s.mybigcommerce.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
s44.photobucket.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
www.gmail.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

So, without this Weather feature, i cannot recommend Maxthon to my customers as no one wants something on the startup page to have something does not work and keeps "Loading". I have tried the NEW install on TWO separate machines with the same results.

I have teted the NOW page with Mx 5.2.5.400 and find no such problems.  It loads promptly; shows a close location; provides a button to set the more correct location; and displays the weather for the location for today or 10 days.  It all seems normal as expected.  Note I am located in the US, Eastern Time Zone.

You should give the 5.2.5.x series a try, but maybe you want the official release rather than beta.

<<SL>>

17 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

I have teted the NOW page with Mx 5.2.5.400 and find no such problems. 

if you look back through the OP's previous threads, he's had issues with this for some time. Oddly, he's tested on multiple machines but I think it only happens on certain ones.

I'd put it down to something being blocked either through ABP/firewall/windows(?), causing the problem. It's one of those situations where if you can't reproduce it, it's almost impossible to diagnose, so you end up with generic fixes; reinstall/disable ABP & extensions etc.

Personally i can't see why a weather feed is the deciding factor in using the browser, when quite frankly, there's much better portals and weather sites to use than i.maxthon.com. Same goes for using the fav links on the page.

If weather is that important, i'd set my homepage to <insertFavouriteWeatherSite>.com, then use the favbar for accessing my local favourites. This then can get easily be transferred to multiple PC's using Passport, or just copy/paste the userdata and use a guest account. This data ALWAYS gets copied across in updates so there's no need to ensure the right cookie/local_storage files are imported etc.

There's probably other solutions like using a sidebar weather app etc. But sometimes people are stuck in their ways and it's hard for them to change, even if it is better in the long term.

23 hours ago, BGFun said:

but simple things that simple customers like have been pushed aside for more advanced users,

There is nothing advanced about maxthon. There's very little that maxthon offers to advanced users that can't be done without really getting your hands dirty to do it. But that doesn't make it better for advanced users, just more of a headache.

recovering those lost cookies

This is part of the problem. Cookies are inherently a temporary storage. If you want to keep data around then you should be using the features that are made for it; like Maxnote for favourites and Passkeeper for passwords.

Quick Access and Passkeeper are too complicated for many users.

I find this an odd statement. The i.maxthon page and QA both use a great big + icon to show you can add a new tile/item. While i.maxthon only shows a title/url dialog, QA shows a list of tiles of popular sites where all you need to do is to click on to set it as a tile. Clicking on the custom title shows a page that clearly shows Title/URL, similar to that of i.maxthon.

To say that this is complex i find very hard to believe. While i don't know the customers you're referring to, it seems you're not giving them any credit for their ability to learn.

And now i just had a look and i'm getting the loading issue on the weather as well, so it's not ABP, firewall, windows related.

Quick poke around gets it working by going to devtools (F12) > Application > Clear Storage > Clear site data    *NOTE* this deletes all data for the page

Poking around further to only deal with the weather issue:
Going to devtools (F12) > Application > Local Storage > http://i.maxthon.com > deleting the following entries in the right panel:
imxcom_city
imxcom_country
imxcom_country_code
imxcom_county

Then refreshing the page should fix the problem... no guarantee though.

I work on computers everyday. Believe me, many people find Maxnote and Passkeeper to be too complicated. I deal with people everyday and they have no clue. Many can't even understand to not call a popup that says "your computer is blocked. Call this number". I have customers that don't even know how to shut Windows down properly, just hit the power button. I have customers that think spreadsheets with macros is a program. I have customers that have paid hundreds of dollars to tech support scammers. So NO, I am not underestimating a customers ability to learn. I am saying many don't want to learn and many just are not tech savy. They just want something to work, no hassle no extra effort.

I am by no means a computer wiz or programmer. I just understand the basics and a little more.

Something like the Maxthon Now page with everything right there, Favorites, weather, news and able to save passwords is as complicated as they can or may want to handle. Many people don't even know how to install an app or program. 

The simplicity of Maxthon Now with it's layout is what those types of users like. Look down at your nose at my comments if you want, but I have to deal with these low level users on a daily basis and look for the Simplest ways to get them what they like.

Quick Access, Passkeeper, Maxnote does not offer that simplicity for MANY users. I don't have hours to teach people how to use those MX features. In 5 minutes or less I can teach them how to use Maxthon Now. I am not going to start charging customers on how to use Maxnote, QA, Passkeeper. Many people don't want their Passwords in the Cloud and Storing them in the Maxthon Now cookies makes them feel safer since it is on their machine. Even if i did charge people for training, many would still not get it.

So pick my thread apart if you like. I know how to use MX and it's features, many customers do not know how and nor could most figure it out and that is who I look out for. I am not going to start charging customers to teach them how to use a browser. For a higher level user I might suggest it.

I have yet to see a constructive solution to the questions I asked about the new cookie file name and where to find those cookies in order to back that file up in case MX destroys it in an update.  

After this smug reply, I guess i will continue to recommend Opera to my customers. It offers the simplicity and uses less resources.

Done with Maxthon.

15 hours ago, Sergey_K said:

I will join: my old February theme (already even got to the archive) also concerned the site http://i.maxthon.com/ru-ru.htm.

In its Russian version (ru-ru) everything is much sadder than in the English (EN-EN) - it seems from its creation, none of the developers did not even look.

Hi Sergey_K,

Sorry for the delay. This issue has been reported to the dev team.

1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

And now i just had a look and i'm getting the loading issue on the weather as well

Cannot reproduce but have forwarded it to the dev team, I will get back here if they confirm the issue. :wink:

On 9/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, BGFun said:

There is no option to set location, just continuous "Loading"

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

And now i just had a look and i'm getting the loading issue on the weather as well

Bug confirmed.

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

In its Russian version (ru-ru) everything is much sadder than in the English (EN-EN) - it seems from its creation, none of the developers did not even look.

Bug confirmed.

Archived