I cannot install Addons v.5.2.42000 (portable)

I installed Maxthon Portable v.5.2.4.2000 and it appears that I solved the problem with the default browser settings which i mentioned in another posting.

However, with this version I cannot install any Addons (Extensions). The downloading process starts but never ends. I tried doing the same with Maxthon (portable) version 5.2.3.6000 and it works fine.

Is there a way to transfer my extensions from v.5.2.3.6000 to v.5.2.4.2000?

2 hours ago, QIK5L said:

I just extract the new portable over the older version, never had a problem yet.

Thanks. I'll try your suggestion.

EDIT: I tried it, but it didn't work. The install dialog does not complete. After a couple of minutes a message comes up to try reinstalling.

1 hour ago, Maxion said:

Thanks. I'll try your suggestion.

EDIT: I tried it, but it didn't work. The install dialog does not complete. After a couple of minutes a message comes up to try reinstalling.

Have you logged in your browser account properly? How about the guest mode?

2 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

Have you logged in your browser account properly? How about the guest mode?

Thank you for the comment. I normally start the browser by running Maxthon.exe. Upon installation and first run I chose to skip registration. I did this with both versions, so there is no difference there. The difference is that while having both the previous and the current (portable) version on the same PC, the older version allowed the installation of extensions, but the new one doesn't.

What is the guest mode?

I could try reinstalling the newer version from scratch and testing it again.

4 minutes ago, Maxion said:

Thank you for the comment. I normally start the browser by running Maxthon.exe. Upon installation and first run I chose to skip registration. I did this with both versions, so there is no difference there. The difference is that while having both the previous and the current (portable) version on the same PC, the older version allowed the installation of extensions, but the new one doesn't.

What is the guest mode?

I could try reinstalling the newer version from scratch and testing it again.

Did you use the proxy server? You can try to disable the proxy.

6 hours ago, Maxion said:

Is there a way to transfer my extensions from v.5.2.3.6000 to v.5.2.4.2000?

As QIK5L said, just copy the new folder over the old one. This will get your old extensions in the old version of MX running in the new version. But it won't fix the problem with them not installing properly.

Try extracting another portable version and see if that does anything different.

Are you extracting them to the same location?

1 hour ago, Maxion said:

What is the guest mode?

It's just using the browser without an account (using the skip login option)

15 hours ago, 7twenty said:

It's just using the browser without an account (using the skip login option)

Thanks, I understand. It's what I did.

I'll try once more to install the latest portable version from the beginning.

EDIT: I installed portable Maxthon on a different PC, added extensions to it and copied everything to an other PC. Maxthon runs on the second PC, the extensions are shown in Settings, but they are greyed out (unusable) and I cannot install any other ones.

As previously, they have indicated to you, I unzip the new portable version, on the existing version, that way I have not had any problem with the extensions.

As a note, the installation of the portable version, is NOT in the path of "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", but even in another unit.

Thank you for the advice. I'm guessing that it's a firewall issue preventing the downloading of the extensions. I cannot however account for the fact that it was possible with the previous Maxthon version. Maybe it was something exceptional or something that was adjusted since then.

EDIT: Is there a way to download an extension manually (instead of the normal Maxthon interface) and then add it to the relevant Maxthon directory?

1 hour ago, Maxion said:

Is there a way to download an extension manually (instead of the normal Maxthon interface)

Yes, try this URL for one of my addons: http://extensiondl.maxthon.com/skinpack/31953638/1503007072.mxaddon

Save it to Maxthon5\UserData\Users\guest\Addons folder, assuming you installed into Maxthon5 folder and are using a guest account.

Although i don't know if this will help, as it seems you're being blocked from downloading the file, but this should give a better answer as to that.

Also you're saying that the addon's aren't running anyway even if they're in the correct folder. We need to figure out what is stopping them from running.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:28 PM, 7twenty said:

Yes, try this URL for one of my addons: http://extensiondl.maxthon.com/skinpack/31953638/1503007072.mxaddon

Save it to Maxthon5\UserData\Users\guest\Addons folder, assuming you installed into Maxthon5 folder and are using a guest account.

Although i don't know if this will help, as it seems you're being blocked from downloading the file, but this should give a better answer as to that.

Also you're saying that the addon's aren't running anyway even if they're in the correct folder. We need to figure out what is stopping them from running.

Many thanks for the assistance. I can install your addon by downloading it from the link that you gave me. So, the problem is that something prevents me from downloading extensions from inside Maxthon's Addons page. I suppose a workaround for the future would be to download them manually as was done with your addon.

As an update, I can manually enable the extensions that I downloaded or had transferred from the portable installation that was copied to my PC. So, that problem is solved.

Archived