Help restoring default browser setting

I run portable Maxthon on a PC that also has IE 11. I changed the default browser setting to Maxthon, but now I cannot reverse it! The entry in Maxthon's settings is greyed out and resetting everything to default does not correct this setting. IE runs on this PC with certain restrictions and I cannot make IE the default browser through its own settings.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to revert to IE being the default browser.

I would tell you to install other browsers that would then let you exclude yourself from not being the default browser, but if you have the problem with the IE11's restrictions to default, you may get stuck in them.

Look for some third party utility that allows you to choose default browser, until some years ago there was some way for here

10 hours ago, Maxion said:

IE runs on this PC with certain restrictions and I cannot make IE the default browser through its own settings.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to revert to IE being the default browser.

Are you on Win10? Try going to Windows Settings>Apps>Default apps and scroll down to Web browser. Click on the entry for browser and you should see a list of available choices. IE should be one of them. Select that and see what happens.

19 hours ago, BugMeNope said:

Interestingly, on my portable Maxthon I do not see the second checkbox. :Frowning_Face_with_Open_Mouth_Emoji_42x42:

Hmm... Same here.

Anyway, I solved the problem by the most direct way possible. I changed the default browser setting in Internet Explorer and everything is fine now.

20 hours ago, Maxion said:

the first installation that I did didn't go right and I ended up with only the one check box.

There's nothing you can do wrong when installing that can cause a missing checkbox. I'm pretty sure you installed an older version.

Archived