Dragoncho

Maxthon 5.2.3.5000 Startup - New Tab Title briefly shows Chineese

10 posts in this topic

When starting Maxthon 5.2.3.5000, while loading the New Tab, the title briefly changes to some Chineese text and then reverts back to the New Tab (in selected language).
This does not seem to happen when opening a new tab from the browser, however it happens much more faster and there's no guarantee.

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-08-10_16-57-34.png

For me it's almost the same, but even worse, it doesn't redirect me to a new tab at all, it just stays on the page.
The page itself also shows chinese characters.

For me a new tab now looks like this:

MaxthonSnap20180810191415.png

Seems to me Maxthon is doing something fishy again, please fix.

8 hours ago, RagingRaven said:

Seems to me Maxthon is doing something fishy again, please fix.

It is a Chinese based browser, so random Chinese characters that may not have been picked up during testing might show occasionally.

As far as being fishy, i think that's a bit of a stretch. If you're at all concerned, just copy the text into any translator and see what fishy-ness they're trying to do.

If any browser maker wanted to do anything nefarious there's a hundred ways they could do it without even alerting the user to it.

10 hours ago, Dragoncho said:

When starting Maxthon 5.2.3.5000, while loading the New Tab, the title briefly changes to some Chineese text and then reverts back to the New Tab (in selected language).

It's possible they have Chinese as the default language (it's a chinese browser after all), then they check for the language in use, then it changes to that. Downside is that it may take a second so things like this show up.

long time user but freshman to this community.

Yes,same issue + malwarebytes flags maxthon as riskware which I never encounter before. fishy? maybe maybe not......

uninstalled and cleaned everything still have issue with the new maxthon.

As for the chinese charactors, notthing to worry about---it's about "new tab" and new mining feature they are trying to promote.

max.jpg

max_1.jpg

Edited by tur

5 hours ago, 7twenty said:

It is a Chinese based browser, so random Chinese characters that may not have been picked up during testing might show occasionally.

As far as being fishy, i think that's a bit of a stretch. If you're at all concerned, just copy the text into any translator and see what fishy-ness they're trying to do.

If any browser maker wanted to do anything nefarious there's a hundred ways they could do it without even alerting the user to it.

It's possible they have Chinese as the default language (it's a chinese browser after all), then they check for the language in use, then it changes to that. Downside is that it may take a second so things like this show up.

Even though normally some random Chinese characters might show, it's still strange that this happens when openening a new tab, why would there be any need to load some page first and then redirect to the actual 'new tab page'?
As for Maxthon being fishy, they have a track record of doing fishy stuff, so it's not really that big of a stretch. In the past they've had issues with handeling SSL/HTTPS connections, they've messed with the search provider, even when a custom one was chosen, they've messed with this mining 'feature' without informing their users, so it's not really all that strange to think they are trying something like that again.
And as Tur says, Malwarebytes doesn't flag malware on that page for nothing, so there is in fact some fishy code on that page that Malwarebytes notices.

But whatever the case may be, there's still an issue with the tab not going to the actual new tab 'page'.
It just stays on the page with the Chinese text, so I can't use my bookmarks/favorites on the new tab.

6 hours ago, 7twenty said:

so random Chinese characters that may not have been picked up during testing might show occasionally.

we keep hearing about these testers - bugsir referred to him/her/them the other day - they dont seem to do much if the actually exist - no testing is done by people here anymore it seems

6 hours ago, RagingRaven said:

But whatever the case may be, there's still an issue with the tab not going to the actual new tab 'page'.
It just stays on the page with the Chinese text, so I can't use my bookmarks/favorites on the new tab.

Given that it's just plain text it looks like the page hasn't fully loaded. Refresh, clear cache, restart, would be the first things to check with.

The malwarebytes warning is somewhat vague. I'd say they're flagging maxthon due to the "issues" in the past, or possibly the fact that it's requesting data from a chinese IP

6 hours ago, Tony said:

they dont seem to do much

They may have been tasked with other things to test. EG. a new feature, or a bug that's been fixed. They may not be testing with other languages so seeing Chinese text isn't a reason to flag anything. It's a placeholder for something that hasn't been translated yet. The issue may not have occurred on their test system.

Lots of reasons why bugs are missed.

39 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Lots of reasons why bugs are missed.

thats very true - maybe the main one is not much is tested 

I posted this just to inform the developers to fix this. I'm not bothered at all, however, if they are trying to acquire more users, it's better those characters don't show up.