projektilski

latest beta 5.2.3.500 asks for flash install

32 posts in this topic

So, latest beta 5.2.3.500 asks for flash install, It doesn't matter if I select install and even if it says it is installed, next time i asks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello 

Please check 

1. Whether you installed this extension(this will lead you install flash again and again)

1.png

2. Delete all your local Flash file and reinstall when entering the website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hello.

Maxthon keeps asking to install the Flash Player also in the latest stable release (5.2.3.1000). I checked for the ICIBA extension but it's not installed, so i'd go for option 2, but what does actually mean "Delete all your local Flash file and reinstall when entering the website"? What is that mysterious "local Flash file"? Do i have to unistall the official Adobe Flash plugins for all kind of browsers? And what website are you talking about to reinstall when entered? It's not clear at all...

Would it be possible to use the standard Flash plugin from Adobe instead of this unknown thing?

Edited by axiom41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That "pepflashplayer.dll" file does not work at all... I also tried to completely remove Maxthon and reinstall it from scratch, without any change. Also noticed that it installs in subfolder named "5.2.2.1000", instead of the correct one, 5.2.3.1000... Unlucky release, it seems... 

Edited by axiom41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, axiom41 said:

Also noticed that it installs in subfolder named "5.2.2.1000", instead of the correct one, 5.2.3.1000... Unlucky release, it seems... 

It installs in that folder because that is the last one that you installed Maxthon into, nothing to do with the release. When you install, click on Advanced in the lower right corner of the install dialog window and change the install folder name to what you want it to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rick.lane said:

It installs in that folder because that is the last one that you installed Maxthon into, nothing to do with the release. When you install, click on Advanced in the lower right corner of the install dialog window and change the install folder name to what you want it to be. 

Unfortunately it's not correct: i completely removed Maxthon to reinstall it, and Maxthon folder was completely deleted from "C:\Program Files (x86)\" after that. Then installation pane, with "Advanced" option, only proposes "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\" that recreates the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\" main folder and then, automatically and silently, a subfolder in it related to version, i.e. 5.2.2.1000 in any case.

Have you tried a fresh installation at all, to see what happens and the bug related to persistent request to install the Flash plugin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, axiom41 said:

Have you tried a fresh installation at all, to see what happens and the bug related to persistent request to install the Flash plugin?

I'm a tester and have been installing Maxthon releases since 2004. The Maxthon installer remembers where your last install went. I never have used the subfolders but instead install all of my versions (public and internal) into new folders with the name of the version series. I.E. Maxthon5.1.6.x, Maxthon5.2.2.x, Maxthon5.2.3.x since I see so many versions (I currently have four Maxthon versions installed), and I never install a new series over and older one. I also don't let Maxthon autoupdate itself so that I have control over where and how it is installed. ( I realize most folks just want to use it and not mess with this stuff most of the time) So, no I haven't done a total fresh install in a long time (I'm assuming that you mean that you also remove the %appdat%\roaming\Maxthon5 folder, which is the data file for all Maxthon 5 versions and installs, as well as the Program Files (x86) Maxthon5 folder when you say "fresh install") so I have seen that Maxthon wants to create the subfolder when I go to the Advanced dialog a long time ago and just eliminated it in the path line; now the installer displays where my last install went and I can either accept that path or modify it.

And I have never seen anything about a request to install Flash Plugin. A while ago, there was Flash Updater utility posted by one of my fellow insiders called "MX Flash Updater_1.05" that I run after each new installation that updates the flash for Maxthon to the latest flash that Windows has installed. I'm not sure if that utility is still available on the forum but maybe it's author will read this and fill us all in on where it may be downloaded from. I will also attempt to find it myself. 

Edit: This thread is all I could find from 2 years ago but it is about the first edition of the utility and may be interesting for you. Maybe the author, 7twenty, can add some insight into how to obtain it:

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/bug-tracker/general-support/which-flash-player-version-for-maxthon-r257/

 

Edited by rick.lane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, axiom41 said:

That "pepflashplayer.dll" file does not work at all... I also tried to completely remove Maxthon and reinstall it from scratch, without any change. Also noticed that it installs in subfolder named "5.2.2.1000", instead of the correct one, 5.2.3.1000... Unlucky release, it seems... 

That file is the correct adobe flash (last version) signed by adobe on April 29, should not give you any problem. Place it where they have indicated you.

Even so, I would recommend, uninstall maxthon in its entirety (previous backup of your data %appdata%\maxthon5 , and install the portable version, once unzipped, place the file pepflashplayer.dll, as you have been told.

Go to the https://get.adobe.com/es/flashplayer/about/ page. and check that you have it working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Maybe the author, 7twenty, can add some insight into how to obtain it:

Not sure how you dug up that old thread. The Adobe Flash and Maxthon thread is still pinned which has a link to the most recent version of the updater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a search for MX Flash Updater and that is one thread that came up, and the one you link to was not there. Thanks for coming to the rescue on the later version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Place this Pepflash file in Maxthon5/Core/Plugins. Flash is being replaced by HTML5.

pepflashplayer.dll

This worked, however I think this is terrible mistake by Maxthon. First they refuse to use system wide flash version installed on PC and now they remove it from installation, ask you to install it and fail at that? 

3 hours ago, axiom41 said:

Unfortunately it's not correct: i completely removed Maxthon to reinstall it, and Maxthon folder was completely deleted from "C:\Program Files (x86)\" after that. Then installation pane, with "Advanced" option, only proposes "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\" that recreates the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\" main folder and then, automatically and silently, a subfolder in it related to version, i.e. 5.2.2.1000 in any case.

Have you tried a fresh installation at all, to see what happens and the bug related to persistent request to install the Flash plugin?

Exactly. And this Maxthon remembers sh*t is hilarious. So how come it remembered 5.2.2.1000 even though I was on 5.2.3.500 before and on 5.2.300 before that? And why it didn't remember 5.2.1.6000 before 5.2.2.1000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

18 hours ago, projektilski said:

This worked, however I think this is terrible mistake by Maxthon. First they refuse to use system wide flash version installed on PC and now they remove it from installation, ask you to install it and fail at that?

All chrome/Webkit based browsers use Pepflash. It's more secure.

If you want latest pepflash go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash. Copy pepflashplayer32 xxxxx.dll and rename it pepflashplayer.dll and place it in Maxthon5/Core/Plugins

Edited by Magdalene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magdalene said:

If you want latest pepflash go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash. Copy pepflashplayer32 xxxxx.dll and rename it pepflashplayer.dll and place it in Maxthon5/Core/Plugins

The latest version (without the need for installation) is always available here: http://effect8.ru/soft/media/adobe-flash-player-portable.html

0_2018-06-02_193720.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. We support users download Flash version between 20~29 on Flash official website

2.Delete all local Flash file, I mean, check whether there has Flash file on your computer registry.

3. MX5 will keep remind you install Flash when MX5 detects there's error on exist version. So we suggest you remove your Flash file on your registry and reinstall(from Flash site and MX5 pop-up both ok)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

1. We support users download Flash version between 20~29 on Flash official website

2.Delete all local Flash file, I mean, check whether there has Flash file on your computer registry.

3. MX5 will keep remind you install Flash when MX5 detects there's error on exist version. So we suggest you remove your Flash file on your registry and reinstall(from Flash site and MX5 pop-up both ok)

There's still something wrong... i searched through the registry and only found HKCU\Software\Maxthon5\Flash containing a single entry "27.0.0.187" (i think related to Flash version) of REG_SZ type and value %AppData%\Roaming\Maxthon5\Temp\Flash\pepflashplayer.dll.

I deleted that entire Flash folder and retried Flash installation from browser when asked. It said installation was successful, but after restarting MX5 the plugin installation request is still there. I also re-checked the registry and the same entry in HKCU\Software\Maxthon5\Flash was recreated with exactly the same values

BTW, Flash currently distributed by Adobe, and installed on my pc for all browser types, is 29.0.0.171: why MX5 is always installing the older 27.0.0.187?

No way to sort this thing out, it seems

Edited by axiom41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, axiom41 said:

No way to sort this thing out, it seems

No need to stuff around with deleting/searching/copying etc., just use the flash updater from here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/21476-adobe-flash-and-maxthon/

It hasn't been updated to account for the file being missing, but just make sure you run as Admin, and it will be copied over correctly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@axiom41

What's ur Maxthon version?

Have you switch Maxthon account? The installed Flash file only corresponding one account in registry. 

If you haven't switch any account and then happened this situation. Maybe we can make an appointment to remote.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@BugSir006

Hello and thanks for your reply. I tried everything, really everything and nothing worked... I think i will move to another, more reliable, browser instead, at least for a while.

Edited by axiom41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's why: Bookmark-Bar still does not automatically sort itself when something is changed in Maxnote and because of this flash message again and again: After many years of Maxthon friendship, I switched to Firefox-Quantum. Make it good Maxthon!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, axiom41 said:

I tried everything, really everything and nothing worked.

I swear to god my posts must be hidden or something....:Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

I swear to god my posts must be hidden or something....:Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

Mine as well. The solution is right there in front of them and it has been working for me for years. I run it as admin for every version installation and never have this problem. 

Axiom41, have you really tried the Flash updater that 7twenty posted a link to? If not, then you haven't tried everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:
9 hours ago, axiom41 said:

I tried everything, really everything and nothing worked.

I swear to god my posts must be hidden or something....:Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

 

1 hour ago, rick.lane said:

Mine as well. The solution is right there in front of them

I feel your pain. Sometimes I want to beat people around the head with shovel. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Edited by Magdalene
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Mine as well. The solution is right there in front of them and it has been working for me for years. I run it as admin for every version installation and never have this problem. 

Axiom41, have you really tried the Flash updater that 7twenty posted a link to? If not, then you haven't tried everything. 

Yes, i did try both utilities, "MX Flash Updater_1.07.exe" and "Mx_En_Updater.exe", always as administrator (and i did read the 7twenty's post about that!)

No update is performed by any of the 2 utilities, so Flash version installed and used by Maxthon is always 27.0.0.187 of Flash, while Adobe's current release is 29.0.0.171, that is installed in my pc)...

In next image, the content of Maxthon section in my registry: nothing changed after the "updaters":

1.jpg

In next 2 Images , the messages from each one of the 2 "updaters", but they didn't update anything.

2.jpg

3.jpg

When i say "everything", it is everything :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:...

Finally:

  • No one explained yet why the message started to appear only in the last versions from beta 5.2.3.500 (this topic was opened on that one) to current 5.2.3.1000
  • No one explained why the issue does not occur in "guest" mode (i.e. logging out from account)
  • Topic "Adobe Flash and Maxthon" referenced by 7twenty seems quite old (January 2017): in latest Maxthon there isn't any "Allow all sites to run plug-ins" option to enable in Settings > Advanced (it was in Maxthon 4.9.x); maybe also the "updaters" were made for Maxthon 4.9, but there is no release date for both of them: maybe they need to be adjusted for MX5
  • "Instructions" to solve the issue, until latest 7twenty's famous post have been very obscure and unclear (extensions to remove, download and manual replacement of dll files, deletion of files/folders, deletion of registry keys, MX5 reinstallation, etc)

As Magdalene said, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink", but it's not always related to users, sometimes also to software programmers/testers: their software is always perfect to them :Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

Sorry for the long post, but it sure will be my last one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I swear to god my posts must be hidden or something....:Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

I have downloaded your updater twice and this is what I get when I try to run it.

Virus.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I have downloaded your updater twice and this is what I get when I try to run it.

Virus.png

Perhaps a false alarm, because none of the leading AVs does not detect the threat. Scanning on VirusTotal: MX Flash Updater_1.07 and Mx_En_Updater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, axiom41 said:

In next image, the content of Maxthon section in my registry: nothing changed after the "updaters":

1.jpg

Try this way:

1. Get pepflashplayer.dll 29.0.0.171 32 bit from here: pepflashplayer.dll

2. Create a "plugins" subdirectory in the Maxthon/Core directory.

3. Copy the downloaded file to this subdirectory

4. Edit the entry in the registry. Enter the new version 29.0.0.171 and change the destination path to C:\Program Files (x86)Maxthon5\Core\plugins\pepflashplayer.dll

Edited by Galileusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I have downloaded your updater twice and this is what I get when I try to run it.

Odd. Due to the way the file is compressed during compiling there were a few false positives that show up using VirusTotal, but Defender on my system doesn't show anything.

 

4 hours ago, axiom41 said:

When i say "everything", it is everything

Thanks for clearing that up.

 

4 hours ago, axiom41 said:
  • No one explained yet why the message started to appear only in the last versions from beta 5.2.3.500 (this topic was opened on that one) to current 5.2.3.1000

Flash was removed from the installer package due to Adobe's request. It's now required to be updated manually, which is why the message is shown when Flash is required.

Quote
  • No one explained why the issue does not occur in "guest" mode (i.e. logging out from account)

I don't think this was ever mentioned as an issue...something to have a look at.

Quote
  • Topic "Adobe Flash and Maxthon" referenced by 7twenty seems quite old (January 2017): in latest Maxthon there isn't any "Allow all sites to run plug-ins" option to enable in Settings > Advanced (it was in Maxthon 4.9.x); maybe also the "updaters" were made for Maxthon 4.9, but there is no release date for both of them: maybe they need to be adjusted for MX5

It was done a while back, because as far as i was aware not much has changed since then. Seems there have been some, mostly quite recently. The allow all sites... option is still there, just under the privacy section. Still easily accessible using the search option in settings.

I'm looking at maybe updating it... just not sure when...

Quote
  • "Instructions" to solve the issue, until latest 7twenty's famous post have been very obscure and unclear (extensions to remove, download and manual replacement of dll files, deletion of files/folders, deletion of registry keys, MX5 reinstallation, etc)

Yeah, that's definitely been a bugbear of Maxthon since forever. It shouldn't have to be this hard for the browser to use the latest version of Flash. Which was in part why i created the updater to simplify it for people that didn't want/feel the need/know how to do it all manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

Odd. Due to the way the file is compressed during compiling there were a few false positives that show up using VirusTotal, but Defender on my system doesn't show anything.

Windows defender is what is flagging this for me.  It just advises me and deletes it from my desktop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 2:45 AM, BugSir006 said:

1. We support users download Flash version between 20~29 on Flash official website

2.Delete all local Flash file, I mean, check whether there has Flash file on your computer registry.

3. MX5 will keep remind you install Flash when MX5 detects there's error on exist version. So we suggest you remove your Flash file on your registry and reinstall(from Flash site and MX5 pop-up both ok)

I don't think we should spend much time figuring out how to make Flash Player (any kind) work.  Adobe has announced last July the End of Life Support at 2020.

Here's  the WikiPedia article on the announcemennt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player

t's time to make sure websites are using more modern video technologies in the next year and a half.

                        <<SL>>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites