Where on computer is Saved Session data for Last Session Manager kept?

I had saved a number of sessions with Last Session Manager. Then I had a bad blue screen crash. According to what I see on mx://last-visit/ with Last Session Manager open, it seems as though the crash may have destroyed them all. If you know any way I can recover them, please tell me.

I had also used "Save as" with mx://last-visit/, and I have a Last Session.html file saved. When I click on "Choose file" and retrieve this file and then click on "Import From File", nothing happens. Any way you can help me with this? Do you know why it would not work?

If there is nothing I can do about the last crash, I want to know where the Saved Session data for Last Session Manager is kept so I can consider backing it up in some location that would not be affected by a future crash.

_Document.rtf

• 5 weeks later...

1. why don't type your post directly into the browser instead of always attaching a text file/word document?

If you must create the document, at least then copy the text into the browser.

2. Some readable Last session data is saved in the config.ini file in %appdata%\Maxthon5\Users\guest\Config

Some other data (not sure exactly what and isn't user readable) is saved in the lasttabsa.dat in %appdata%\Maxthon5\Users\guest\History

If your saved last session file looks something like this, then you haven't saved any data.

Last Session

View History

To save the last session page you need to choose "Web archive, Single file" or "Webpage, Complete" from the save as type options in the save dialog.

If you're lucky there might be some data in the config.ini file, otherwise I'd chalk this up to a learning experience...

On 5/31/2018 at 3:35 PM, conceptualclarity said:

When I click on "Choose file" and retrieve this file and then click on "Import From File", nothing happens

Read this again, it sounds like you're trying to import that using the import favourites option. They're are different files. This won't work.

"1. why don't type your post directly into the browser instead of always attaching a text file/word document?

If you must create the document, at least then copy the text into the browser."

The whole point is I can't copy the text into the browser or type into the browser because Maxthon provides me with boxes that cannot be typed into. They sometimes look good but as soon as I click on the box it almost always turns into something that can't be typed into. This happens on the browsers Maxthon, SeaMonkey, Firefox, and SlimJet, all the browsers I use. (I'm on Windows XP SP3, by the way.)

Just now I caught a lucky break on SeaMonkey and found a usable text box here.

In the first screenshot you can see what I typically encounter when trying to post on the Maxthon forum. In the second screenshot you see where I was hindered from posting on your profile. I request that you report this glitch to the IT people.

"2. Some readable Last session data is saved in the config.ini file in %appdata%\Maxthon5\Users\guest\Config

Some other data (not sure exactly what and isn't user readable) is saved in the lasttabsa.dat in %appdata%\Maxthon5\Users\guest\History"

Thank you. I have now bookmarked this page.

I have been saving a copy of the lasttabsa.dat file in the %Application Data\Maxthon5\Users\[user email address]\History folder every time I shut down, just as I used to save lasttabs.dat on Maxthon 4. Sometimes when I have a crash and I put the previous lasttabsa.dat back in the folder, it will show me a blank page instead of bringing back the data that's surely in the lasttabsa.dat file as indicated by its size. I didn't have this problem when utilizing saved copies of lassttabs.dat. I wonder if you know anything to make this work.

I believe this last time "Refresh Last Session" somehow bailed me out.

It doesn't seem to me that "the Saved Session data for Last Session Manager" would necessarily be the same as this .dat data in the History folder since Last Session Manager is an optional extension. That's why I posted this question.

Interestingly, I just now found a Last Session.html in my Downloads folder

"Read this again, it sounds like you're trying to import that using the import favourites option. They're are different files. This won't work."

No this is in reference to Last Session Manager on mx://last-visit/, clicking the "Choose file" box under "Saved Session List". When I try choosing file, the name of the HTML file will show up between "Choose file" and "Import From File". But nothing happens when I click on "Import From File." That's a real problem.

OK, now I have a screenshot showing what I'm talking about. Nothing happens when I click on "Import From File" to the right of "Last Session.html."

I want to go on record that it would really be helpful for somebody to post a thorough tutorial on the use of this relatively new Last Session Manager, covering all 11 tabs and the 2 buttons.

Maxthon forum glitch.png

more Maxthon forum glitch.png

Last Session Manager.png

reply on Maxthon forum.rtf

4 hours ago, conceptualclarity said:

In the first screenshot you can see what I typically encounter when trying to post on the Maxthon forum. In the second screenshot you see where I was hindered from posting on your profile. I request that you report this glitch to the IT people.

I doubt it's a glitch, it's more than likely an issue with a long decrepit OS that should no longer be used except the most extreme of circumstances. Just one of the issues you need to deal with if still using it.

I wonder if you know anything to make this work.

Nope. I don't use any extras like that. Just keep a backup of my Maxthon folder - on the slim chance that there's an error i can just copy it all back. And haven't had to do that for a long, long time.

t doesn't seem to me that "the Saved Session data for Last Session Manager" would necessarily be the same as this .dat data in the History folder since Last Session Manager is an optional extension. That's why I posted this question.

I'd say you're on the right track.

No this is in reference to Last Session Manager on mx://last-visit/,

Explaining that at the outset would have been helpful. I was scratching my head for some time trying to figure what you were on about. Incidentally, in doing so i did find out about being able to save the MX Last Session page. So that was a nice bonus. It's a actually a good workaround to using the extension, just save the page by date. It maybe not as user friendly, but in saying that...

I want to go on record that it would really be helpful for somebody to post a thorough tutorial on the use of this relatively new Last Session Manager, covering all 11 tabs and the 2 buttons.

Seems pretty straight forward to me based on a quick play around a while ago. The buttons are pretty self explanatory in their purpose - save/delete/rename etc. Import opens a previously saved session.  Export to HTML would save to a standard HTML file instead of whatever it uses by default (dat or xml?)

Probably something the dev should be messaged about so that can add some more info somewhere.

Is this thread showing in the forum or is it hidden? I have tried to find it starting from the forum page and been unable to do so.

To save the last session page you need to choose "Web archive, Single file" or "Webpage, Complete" from the save as type options in the save dialog.

I have been doing this. The .html files that I get from this do not save to any folder associated with Maxthon. I thought there might be a folder that was for saving stuff from the Maxthon Last Session Manager extension.

Furthermore, I am at a loss to know just what I can do in the way of restoring from the Last Session.html files saved in this fashion from the Maxthon Tools context menu. I have dragged and dropped and I have fiddled with the various tabs on the Last Session Manager extension trying to do this without success.

"Import opens a previously saved session."

When I click on that I don't get any of the sessions I've saved but rather what shows in the screenshot.

"Probably something the dev should be messaged about so that can add some more info somewhere."

Were you wanting me to do that?

It does indeed need explanation, and perhaps overhaul. Except the one weird occasion where I think "Refresh Last Session" helped me, I have spent a lot of time working with this extension to no benefit.

Another thing: "Earlier Session" on my mx://last-visit/ page continues showing a session from a while back. How do I get it to show something more recent?

another reply.rtf

failed to load file.png

1 hour ago, conceptualclarity said:

Is this thread showing in the forum or is it hidden?

It's showing as #1 on the forum page now.

Furthermore, I am at a loss to know just what I can do in the way of restoring from the Last Session.html files saved in this fashion from the Maxthon Tools context menu.

^^ this and this vv have nothing to do with each other.

I have dragged and dropped and I have fiddled with the various tabs on the Last Session Manager extension trying to do this without success.

If you want to open a last session that was saved from the MX tools menu, then open the .html or .mhtml file that was saved using that option. It should open and look like the normal last session page.

When I click on that I don't get any of the sessions I've saved but rather what shows in the screenshot.

(I believe) it will only import what's been saved with the extension using the "save last session/Last session save as" buttons as shown on your screenshot.

Mind you i haven't played with this extension for while, so i'm explaining this based on what/how I believe it should work.

Note: by named session, i mean a last session that has been saved by selecting the "Save Last Session" option

Refresh Last Session - refreshes from the maxthon last session data

Save Last Session - saves the last session data named with the current date/time to a named session

Last Session Save As - saves to a text file to be used with the import option

Clear Last Session - clears maxthon's last session data

Save Earlier Session - saves the maxthon earlier session data named with the current date/time to a named session

Import From File - imports data from a saved .txt file saved with last session extension

--- from within a named session ---

Save As - saves the named session to a text file to be used with the import option

Use Session - overwrites maxthon's last session data with tabs in this named session which can then be opened as normal

View Session - show the tabs saved in the selected named session (can open using right-click > open...

Rename Session - rename the named session

Export to HTML - export the tabs saved to a HTML which can be viewed in browser

Delete Session - deletes a the named session

On 7/12/2018 at 6:57 PM, 7twenty said:

Note: by named session, i mean a last session that has been saved by selecting the "Save Last Session" option

Refresh Last Session - refreshes from the maxthon last session data

Save Last Session - saves the last session data named with the current date/time to a named session

Last Session Save As - saves to a text file to be used with the import option

Clear Last Session - clears maxthon's last session data

Save Earlier Session - saves the maxthon earlier session data named with the current date/time to a named session

Import From File - imports data from a saved .txt file saved with last session extension

--- from within a named session ---

Save As - saves the named session to a text file to be used with the import option

Use Session - overwrites maxthon's last session data with tabs in this named session which can then be opened as normal

View Session - show the tabs saved in the selected named session (can open using right-click > open...

Rename Session - rename the named session

Export to HTML - export the tabs saved to a HTML which can be viewed in browser

Delete Session - deletes a the named session

Thank you very much for the effort you put into compiling or obtaining this information. It is very good for the community to have this. I intend to print it out.

There is a problem with the extension itself. On the mx://last-visit/ page we happily get links with good English language captions. Saving to a text file does not preserve the links. I did some asking around about this. See https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/way-to-convert-html-file-to-txt-file-and-keep-the-links.319000/#post-2017383

If you open Notepad you will find it's impossible to put a link in a .txt file. You can do it in .rtf, but not in .txt. This is something the extension developers need to address. You can't restore the mx://last-visit/ page from a text file. It would be good if it was allowing restoration from an .html file, but it apparently doesn't.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:57 AM, 7twenty said:

If you want to open a last session that was saved from the MX tools menu, then open the .html or .mhtml file that was saved using that option. It should open and look like the normal last session page.

That is good, but it's not the same as restoring the mx://last-visit/ page itself. For example, you can't type directly into Maxthon to remove pages you have dealt with to your satisfaction the way you can with the mx://last-visit/ page.

Also, as I said, it would be good to have some control over the "Earlier Session" function.

3 hours ago, conceptualclarity said:

If you open Notepad you will find it's impossible to put a link in a .txt file. You can do it in .rtf, but not in .txt. This is something the extension developers need to address.

There is nothing to address as the extension and files are working as designed. The txt file is there for the extension to use and isn't designed to be altered by the user (it can be if you know what you're doing, but shouldn't if you don't).

You can't restore the mx://last-visit/ page from a text file.

There's no need to if you're using the extension properly. The only txt file it reads is ones saved by the extension using the "save as" button.

It would be good if it was allowing restoration from an .html file, but it apparently doesn't.

There's no need to because it already works properly if it's used as designed.

Save the current last session using "save last session", use that session from within the extension using "view session", or from the MX last session using "use session".

Use "save as" to keep a copy of the last session for whatever reason. If you need to restore it, import using that file with the import session option.

it seems you want or expect the extension to do something that it's not designed to do. Use it as it's designed and you'll have no problem.

Just to reiterate: you can't import anything that wasn't saved with the "save as" option within the extension

3 hours ago, conceptualclarity said:

Also, as I said, it would be good to have some control over the "Earlier Session" function.

Something the dev's need to look into. I'm not even sure how/when that is updated. I've still get an old earlier session from ages ago.

The people behind the Maxthon Last Session extension who have it saving the data as a text file with captions rather than web addresses apparently don't know what they're doing, and I will get back to them about this

So I read you majorgeeks post and understand what you're trying to do... and why the extension isn't working for you.

But I think it's a little presumptuous of you to assume the creator of the extension "doesn't know what they're doing". As described above, the issue isn't with the extension or the file formats that it uses, or the intuitiveness (or lack thereof). It's simply that you are unaware of what it's capabilities and limitations are, and are trying to do something that it was not designed to do.

SO:

you have 2 options to fix the issue that you have:

1/ drag/drop (copy/paste what ever you want) the URL's from the saved HTML into maxthon. While the tabs are open save them to favourites (right-click a tab > add all pages to favourites). They won't be part of your last session page, but they will be saved.

2/ PM me your html file and i'll create a valid.txt file that will work with the extension so it can be imported via the import session option and you'll get the list back in to last session.

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to submit a bug report about my latest crash at http://www.maxthon.com/mx/bug/post/###

I fill everything out, including properly entering the verification code. Then when I click on "Submit bug", a red line comes up under the text box saying " Please fill in your bug report (Less than 1000 words)"

However, I have already indeed filled in my bug report. The page will not "Submit bug" for me.

I have filled in email address, selected the correct make of Maxthon browser, filled in a bug report of under 500 words, included a screenshot, indicated the problem happens " Once in a while ", and entered the right verification code. This happens on both Maxthon and SeaMonkey browsers.

Tried to put this in an edit, but it wouldn't let me. I also did fill in my exact Maxthon version and chose "User data lost" and "Other lost" in the tabs at the top of the text box.

I have good news. I had saved a few days before my latest crash a 58KB text file from the Last Session Manager. I had at that time opened it with File Viewer Lite. I was pretty disappointed because all I saw viewing it that way was a few URLs in text form, just a small fraction of the data that was on the mx://last-visit/ page.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I was reminded of that text file and decided to follow your guidance here and see what would happen opening it from within Last Session Manager. I was pleasantly surprised to see all my mx://last-visit/ data from July 11 restored. I don't understand the discrepancy with what I saw in File Viewer Lite; it seems like abra cadabra. At any rate, I'm delighted. Thank you for your help on these matters.

I still am desiring to send a bug report. My last Maxthon crash was exceptional. Afterwards I was unable to get Maxthon to load without crashing first, even after reinstalling and updating. I found the website's advice to rename the Application Data folder to Maxthon51, and that worked. The article (http://www.maxthon.com/mx5/help/question/hotIssues/crashAndSolution.php) told users who experienced that problem to upload their data with a bug report, so I'm wanting to do that.

Document__.rtf

• 1 month later...

%appdata%\maxthon5\Users\guest\Local Storage\

Open an Explorer window and paste above into it. It should contain at least one more folder, in that folder should be the data. So long as you save and restore that data you will keep any sessions saved using Last Session Manager.

Archived