AaronX

Apostrophe corruption in tab title

11 posts in this topic

When a page has an apostrophe in the <title>, it becomes corrupted with a wide extra space in the tab name. I've observed this on multiple sites over the last few Windows releases, both beta and final.

Apostrophe tab.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Aaron, 

Thanks for feedback! We will check and feedback

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Aaron

We tested on Chrome Firefox, they all displayed as the screenshot you provided us. It should be the website itself displayed abnormally.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, BugSir006 said:

Hi, Aaron

We tested on Chrome Firefox, they all displayed as the screenshot you provided us. It should be the website itself displayed abnormally.

Do you mean that Chrome and Firefox also display the big space, and thus it must be a website issue?

I've found the same behaviour on multiple websites and on inspecting the code, none of the <title> tags have any big odd gaps in - so it must be a wider WebKit bug.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chrome displays the same space as Maxthon on my system. Can anybody else confirm ?

傲游截图20180619100753.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure it's due to the different font that's being used. I tested with an older version of Chrome, and get the same as AaronX.

If i'm not mistaken MX uses MS YaHei in most of the UI, I think Chrome uses Arial, or something similar.

Using the same text copied from Notepad into MS Word:
font.png

It's something related to the spacing of some of the special characters. It's not a fixed width font, but the spacing of the special characters seems to be double what it should be.

Changing the UI font to use MS Yahei UI, instead of the base version should fix the issue as shown above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you've probably diagnosed that correctly, 7twenty. There's a very subtle difference in the fonts used in each browser that I've only just noticed; and Jeff's Chrome screenshot appears to use the same font as my MX one. (Note the dot above the i, which appears to be a single pixel in my Chrome screenshot but 2 pixels vertically in Jeff's Chrome and my MX.)

I can't see a way to change my MX font, or to set Chrome to YaHei in order to test that specifically, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AaronX said:

I can't see a way to change my MX font, or to set Chrome to YaHei in order to test that specifically, however.

There isn't. It needs to be changed in the UI files. It's a simple fix, so there's no reason why they shouldn't get it done before the next release... But no guarantee that it will happen then, or any time after that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what it looks like when the correct font (YaHei UI) is set in the UI files.

Untitled.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little disappointing that after 2 more releases (final and a new beta), this still isn't fixed. It's a very minor issue, sure, but it also has the simplest fix you can get - it's literally adding " UI" to the fonts section in the UI files! Just 3 characters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites