So maybe this is a time to MaxthonJeff?

3 minutes ago, Mhzayer said:

You are absolutely right

Maxthon developers and users connection is so weak 

something has to be done about it

maxthon devs have always ignored users - when was the last time we saw a dev on here - all we see is bugsirs who patronise - they come and go like summer snow so have no insight into whats been asked before

the bottom lines are the browser is free as are all others - if it works for you then expect no more - you can but nothing will happen

Jeff talks a good story but follows nothing up - too busy with crypto-currency or whatever to dirty his hands with this place and the user base that gave him what he has

long term users are leaving which is not good - input here is all but dried up - it does need a statement from Jeff or whoever but we all know that is unlikely to happen in any meaningful way apart from whoever is sitting in the bugsirs chair this week telling us that the users are important - more platitudes - we have heard it all before

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

18 hours ago, Tony said:

maxthon devs have always ignored users - when was the last time we saw a dev on here - all we see is bugsirs who patronise - they come and go like summer snow so have no insight into whats been asked before

the bottom lines are the browser is free as are all others - if it works for you then expect no more - you can but nothing will happen

Jeff talks a good story but follows nothing up - too busy with crypto-currency or whatever to dirty his hands with this place and the user base that gave him what he has

long term users are leaving which is not good - input here is all but dried up - it does need a statement from Jeff or whoever but we all know that is unlikely to happen in any meaningful way apart from whoever is sitting in the bugsirs chair this week telling us that the users are important - more platitudes - we have heard it all before

Not only do they ignore the users, but they ignore the users who, in good faith, contribute their time to give free support to the company and in a disinterested way, and it is that same company that looks the other way, when it is precisely that what else should you take care of, your free support towards the other users of these forums.

• -ody- pinned and featured this topic

Despite previous efforts from years ago, there has never been a good connection between users and devs here. The main connection was from the San Francisco office and here, and after several key figures left for greener pastures the whole thing went back to how it was before.

You might be able to find previous posts expressing my frustrations but I gave that up long ago too. I knew there was no point in venting in the hope someone would actually do something about it so I saved my energy to enjoy something else.

Meanwhile on the Chinese forum I see negative feedback about how MX5 is slower than v4, the inability to customise skins further and startup speed. The innovation that brought me over to Maxthon 3 died with v4 and is being beaten like a dead horse with MX5.

As a Firefox Nightly user, it gets better with every daily build even if it generates bad reactions (WebExtensions, for example) which is far more than from stuff released here over months. That says something.

3 hours ago, bricky149 said:

Despite previous efforts from years ago, there has never been a good connection between users and devs here. The main connection was from the San Francisco office and here, and after several key figures left for greener pastures the whole thing went back to how it was before.

You might be able to find previous posts expressing my frustrations but I gave that up long ago too. I knew there was no point in venting in the hope someone would actually do something about it so I saved my energy to enjoy something else.

Meanwhile on the Chinese forum I see negative feedback about how MX5 is slower than v4, the inability to customise skins further and startup speed. The innovation that brought me over to Maxthon 3 died with v4 and is being beaten like a dead horse with MX5.

As a Firefox Nightly user, it gets better with every daily build even if it generates bad reactions (WebExtensions, for example) which is far more than from stuff released here over months. That says something.

Yeah you can say that again

Thanks all for the concern. I admit there is some disconnect between dev team and the forum users. Let me brief what we did for the past several month.

We are working on adding Chrome addon support. And it turns out it will be much easier to have it in a seperate product, like Nitro, than in Maxthon.

And we also did some research with blockchain technology.

We decide to build a separate product, continuing Nitro product line (may with a different name). The product will support Chrome addons from the beginning, adding blockchain technology, being cryptocurrency friendly. We have a lot of new ideas about how to use browser to build a decentrolized internet.

We will continue to improve Maxthon as well. Some improvements are being cooked, like Translation, Snipper and Quick Access. 

We also upgraded the browser core to bing up-to-date engine, improved performance.

There are a lot to expect.

Thank you again

Jeff

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

1 hour ago, MaxthonJeff said:

Thanks all for the concern. I admit there is some disconnect between dev team and the forum users. Let me brief what we did for the past several month.

We are working on adding Chrome addon support. And it turns out it will be much easier to have it in a seperate product, like Nitro, than in Maxthon.

And we also did some research with blockchain technology.

We decide to build a separate product, continuing Nitro product line (may with a different name). The product will support Chrome addons from the beginning, adding blockchain technology, being cryptocurrency friendly. We have a lot of new ideas about how to use browser to build a decentrolized internet.

We will continue to improve Maxthon as well. Some improvements are being cooked, like Translation, Snipper and Quick Access. 

We also upgraded the browser core to bing up-to-date engine, improved performance.

There are a lot to expect.

Thank you again

Jeff

Firstly, I'm glad you acknowledge said disconnect.

The second and fourth sentences tell me a Chromium clone with Maxthon branding is coming.

It's also nice to see the CEF component is being updated although one has to wonder when the hacky way of 'fixing' site support (i.e. old/unsupported browser prompts) by using three separate lists where Maxthon changes its UA string will unship.

3 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

Being a widely demanded feature, it may happen that the new "nitro" version ends up killing maxthon, if the latter fails to incorporate this feature.

3 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

IMHO, in a market where the big ones create the trends, I do not think that Maxthon, which is a great browser, suits you to be closed in quantity and quality of options (chrome extensions, flags chrome, these also demanded, etc), you just have to look at the browsers that are based on chrome

10 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Being a widely demanded feature, it may happen that the new "nitro" version ends up killing maxthon, if the latter fails to incorporate this feature.

IMHO, in a market where the big ones create the trends, I do not think that Maxthon, which is a great browser, suits you to be closed in quantity and quality of options (chrome extensions, flags chrome, these also demanded, etc), you just have to look at the browsers that are based on chrome

The new one will take a different path than Maxthon. It’s designed for people who have used to Chrome, not mean to replace Maxthon. And it will be more focus on blockchain related features .

Maxthon will continue act as the All in One package, feature rich browser.

12 hours ago, bricky149 said:

Firstly, I'm glad you acknowledge said disconnect.

The second and fourth sentences tell me a Chromium clone with Maxthon branding is coming.

It's also nice to see the CEF component is being updated although one has to wonder when the hacky way of 'fixing' site support (i.e. old/unsupported browser prompts) by using three separate lists where Maxthon changes its UA string will unship.

The new one will not be Maxthon branded. It will be released under a non-profit foundation. 

I am not sure what do you mean “three separate lists”. I suppose after CEF upgrade, the unsupported site will not support Maxthon.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

On 5/30/2018 at 11:52 AM, MaxthonJeff said:

Who's calling me ? I hear your voice in my dream :Ghost_Emoji_42x42:

Hello, MaxthonJeff  \0/

As I wrote in the very first message of this thread there are a full misunderstood between MX community and MX developers.

Peoples asking for features especially lost ones that was in old MX and were removed by unknown reason. Developers working in "full isolation mode" and ignore any feature requests.

As I wrote MX moving to "Just another Chromium browser". All the time developers have they use to adapt chromium engine and there are no time for creating new features or fix errors not related to chromium, for example UI bugs.

Dear MaxthonJeff! Did you hear about Apple's decision that iOS12 will not have any new features? This release will be just a "bug hunt" version. Great idea!

Can you make a same decision for a next MX version (5.3?)? Just bug fixes.

And next version (5.4?) only for new features ASKED BY COMMUNITY AND NOT BY DEVELOPERS

2 hours ago, Kilmatar said:

Hello, MaxthonJeff  \0/

As I wrote in the very first message of this thread there are a full misunderstood between MX community and MX developers.

Peoples asking for features especially lost ones that was in old MX and were removed by unknown reason. Developers working in "full isolation mode" and ignore any feature requests.

As I wrote MX moving to "Just another Chromium browser". All the time developers have they use to adapt chromium engine and there are no time for creating new features or fix errors not related to chromium, for example UI bugs.

Dear MaxthonJeff! Did you hear about Apple's decision that iOS12 will not have any new features? This release will be just a "bug hunt" version. Great idea!

Can you make a same decision for a next MX version (5.3?)? Just bug fixes.

And next version (5.4?) only for new features ASKED BY COMMUNITY AND NOT BY DEVELOPERS

The priority of Maxthon is always perfmance/bug fix. It already has a lot of build-in features.Upgrading current features follows.

Brand new feature will be carefully selected. Unless we feel the feature will benefit most users, not just a small group, we will not add it. The best place of these features are addons. We may put more time upgrading addon SDK than building every feature by ourselves, which may be an endless task (just check how many cool ideas in firefox/chrome addons).

Thanks

Jeff

11 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

The priority of Maxthon is always perfmance/bug fix. It already has a lot of build-in features.Upgrading current features follows.

Brand new feature will be carefully selected. Unless we feel the feature will benefit most users, not just a small group, we will not add it. The best place of these features are addons. We may put more time upgrading addon SDK than building every feature by ourselves, which may be an endless task (just check how many cool ideas in firefox/chrome addons).

Thanks

Jeff

addons are great BUT all those who seemed to understand how to make them seem to have left - the problems with MX5 and the thought that talking to the company was like talking to the wall sent those users elsewhere 

same with those who contributed themes - the difficult way to add themes being one problem - another being the state of MX5 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

19 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

We may put more time upgrading addon SDK than building every feature by ourselves, which may be an endless task (just check how many cool ideas in firefox/chrome addons)

You say it yourself, then, why develop / improve an SDK for extensions, if we already have one created and running with chrome?

6 hours ago, MaxthonJeff said:

why chrome has SDK when firefox is already on market?

Because Chrome has the backing of Google behind it, which has in turn made it the biggest browser in the market. Maxthon isn't, and won't be, the next Chrome.

Because of that, forcing developers to create content that only a minute number of users will be using isn't viable. Which is why you don't see many of the big addons on the other browsers on Maxthon.

While it's great that there are Maxthon specific API's, if a dev isn't willing to put the time in to use them it's not really a feature to talk up.

While not a feature, the Youtube Centre addon for Maxthon never had the icon display correctly. All that was required was to copy the icon files to the correct folder in the addon. But even that was too hard for the dev. So to add other specific API's is a bit of a stretch.

Maxthon still doesn't have something that will draw users to allow for a more viable addon platform.

1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

Because Chrome has the backing of Google behind it, which has in turn made it the biggest browser in the market. Maxthon isn't, and won't be, the next Chrome.

Because of that, forcing developers to create content that only a minute number of users will be using isn't viable. Which is why you don't see many of the big addons on the other browsers on Maxthon.

While it's great that there are Maxthon specific API's, if a dev isn't willing to put the time in to use them it's not really a feature to talk up.

While not a feature, the Youtube Centre addon for Maxthon never had the icon display correctly. All that was required was to copy the icon files to the correct folder in the addon. But even that was too hard for the dev. So to add other specific API's is a bit of a stretch.

Maxthon still doesn't have something that will draw users to allow for a more viable addon platform.

It's as if they are ashamed of what Maxthon users suggest.

Why is there a big gap between them and us?
Isn't Maxthon users browser?

7 hours ago, Mhzayer said:

I don't think so... Let's say the truth : My biggest concern was the future of maxthon in Jeff's mind. It seems Jeff didn't give up, this is good news to me, because I had reached a point of discouragement which made me look for another browser .

Maxthon is not the most popular browser in the world, developers team is probably not very big so progress is slower than we wish. But I'm not sure other browsers communicate with users more than maxthon team does, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

in the end, it's still the browser I use because I couldn't find another one that suits me. Of course I would like to get back some more Mx2  or Mx3 had, for example it should be skinnable in a easier way than it is now ; I used to send links by sms  unfortunately it's no longer available , and a few more things.. 

But generally speaking, it's a good browser, although devs are in a hurry to post buggy updates without enough testing, and as a result  thre are some compatibility issues and it crashes more often than it did in the past, this is the main issue IMO.

I'm glad to believe that maxthon still has a future.  Thank you Jeff for letting us know you are still here. Communication has never been maxthon best skill; hopefully it will improve.

sigmax2.png

12 hours ago, Mhzayer said:

It’s a users browser, but not a ‘some users’ browser.  It seems everyone think he/she can represent “The User” and the dev team shall develop the product as ‘he/she’ wishes. What if what you suggest is not majority user wants? Who to blame if there is something wrong ? I believe it’s always me and the team. Product design is not as easy as it feels.

As the dev team, we have to think beyond users.  The reality is not always the same as it looks like. For example, people always say how good mx2/mx3/mx4 is. But I remember how many blames appear with these product. It’s more like how my father always say how good the old time is, like 50s,60s. 

Remember, you always see negetive posts in forum is because people with no problem will not come to report anything. From our backend, mx5 has much less crashes rates than mx4 and probably mx3. 

14 hours ago, 7twenty said:

If you think because Maxthon is not as big as Google, we cannot do SDK. You can say it again with anything we do.

Just because we are not as big as Google, we have to be careful in choosing what to do. We are not that failure resistant as Google. If Google does something wrong, it can just shut it down which happens many times. But if we did something wrong, Maxthon is gone.

ALL users want it FAST...want it to load pages crisply and display solidly.

Over the years, it seems you get it there, THEN... come out with a new "greatest" version and start over.

NOW you're talking about another one! fine...do it! what the heck, why not...

I am using version v5.1.3.2000 because it avoids many of your improvements and patched together bug fixes AND works as above!

I am waiting and will continue to TRY and use Maxthon until you get "the one"...
Someday :)

16 hours ago, Golfmann said:

ALL users want it FAST...want it to load pages crisply and display solidly.

Over the years, it seems you get it there, THEN... come out with a new "greatest" version and start over.

NOW you're talking about another one! fine...do it! what the heck, why not...

I am using version v5.1.3.2000 because it avoids many of your improvements and patched together bug fixes AND works as above!

I am waiting and will continue to TRY and use Maxthon until you get "the one"...
Someday :)

If that’s all the users want, they will not choose Maxthon. Users want EVERYTHING. You can only speak for yourself. ;-)

And actually no browser has been there. Try Googling “Chrome crash”, “Firefox crash”, “Opera crash”, “IE crash” and do it again, replacing “crash” with “slow”.

I am glad you find a version that suits you well. But we will continue to improve/innovate instead of staying at a version. Developing the best product is always a way in progress.

On 01/06/2018 at 2:27 AM, MaxthonJeff said:

I am not sure what do you mean “three separate lists”. I suppose after CEF upgrade, the unsupported site will not support Maxthon.

In mx_core.pak, somewhat viewable in a text editor, there is a 'version_controller' key with values that correlate to different versions of Maxthon. There are *four* lists of domains where different UA strings are reported to sites to work around incompatibilities.

The comments next to each exception list 'version' suggest this was a Maxthon-specific change.

exception_list.txt

Archived