5.2.X Font Rendering issues

Since the update to Chromium 61 in 5.2.0.900 the font rendering has been broken. The image shows the difference between v5.2.X and v5.1.7.2000 in alternating order. Notably the "Ul" in Ultra but its all over the place, 1 pixel shifts messing it up. I thought it was just a beta bug with the new core before but it still exists.

fontrenderingissue.png

• 1 month later...

I really hope you're just looking at the image wrong. The top is the new version in each pair. This makes it a lot more bothersome to read and bold text is even worse off.

Letters shouldn't be getting smashed up against others without any spacing, usually at the trade of some other letters having the space doubled. It can make rn (RN) look barely different than an m, just looking at this thread in the new version it makes "image" look closer to "im age". I'm recording my D&D games through roll20 which involves a lot of text. I basically can't use the new version until this is fixed.

1.png

Here's my settings fonts...Here we tried several times and the issue never happened.

@caligula73@UntamedLoli You two can reproduce this bug, could you please provide me more specific details?

1.System info/MX version

2.System fonts

3.Graphics card version

4.Have you change the system default font before?

5.If we still can't reproduce this issue, would u mind help us check this issue via teamviewer? we can check the issue remote

We need your cooperation to help us solve this issue asap:)

You need to turn off DirectWrite to see the problem. I've been checking between versions to see if anything changed since it broke and I posted this. I just checked again between a newly downloaded portable version of 5.1.7.2000 and 5.2.3.4000. It will end up looking like my image as long as DirectWrite is off.

1: Windows 10 Pro 1803, no difference from 1709. It displayed properly in 5.1.7.2000 that I'm using now, any version after that has the issue.

2: Font settings are default, never changed them.

3: AMD Radeon RX 480 with the latest drivers.

4: Unchanged.

5: Not something I would care to do but I can get any other information.

Thanks for looking into this.

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

The problem will not appear if you tick this option.

I confirm. Problems with the fonts, indicated in the last post Caligula73 (increased gap between the letters), appear if the settings disable the use of DirectWrite for drawing fonts.

4 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Why you want to turn off this settings? I can reproduce the problem-not totally same with u- There is space of some letters. The problem will not appear if you tick this option.

1.png

I have it off because the fuzzy and/or rainbow text it creates bothers my eyes and makes it irritating to read anything. I have Windows and anything else like Steam that lets me, set up the same way.

• 1 month later...

Archived