Permission to use Browser???????

Did I install something incorrectly??? When I hit the MX 5.2.1.6000 icon in the tray, it asks the question (every time) can MX make changes to this computer.  When I load up MX4 it asks that question (the 1st time {probably because I am switching from MX5 to MX4, and that makes sense}).  I understand it asking the question when switching from MX4 to MX5 because they apparently are structured somwhat differently.  BUT, if I am already using MX 5.2.1.6000, why is it asking the question EVERY TIME I hit the icon to use it.  Prior to this it just opened the browser up with no muss no fuss. And now, it's getting finicky.  Or is there something I need to do so when I hit the icon in the tray to open the browser, it just opens up like it is supposed to(unless it is a different version of course).

5 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Did I install something incorrectly??? When I hit the MX 5.2.1.6000 icon in the tray, it asks the question (every time) can MX make changes to this computer.  When I load up MX4 it asks that question (the 1st time {probably because I am switching from MX5 to MX4, and that makes sense}).  I understand it asking the question when switching from MX4 to MX5 because they apparently are structured somwhat differently.  BUT, if I am already using MX 5.2.1.6000, why is it asking the question EVERY TIME I hit the icon to use it.  Prior to this it just opened the browser up with no muss no fuss. And now, it's getting finicky.  Or is there something I need to do so when I hit the icon in the tray to open the browser, it just opens up like it is supposed to(unless it is a different version of course).

It is asking because Maxthon wants to be set as the Default browser.  If you click YES, it won't ask again.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

3 hours ago, nevergetany said:

I have had MX as my default browser for a long time.  Do you mean when I d/l the new one it did not remain my default browser?

Are you on Windows 10?  If yes, it  is notorious for changing the default to Edge, so you will have to go into "Default app settings" and change it there.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Is that default settings in MX or default settings in windows 10. In MX next to set as default browser there is a little red    .    and when I click on that nothing happens except the permission to use MX to make changes.  I have used windows 10 since 2015 (windows 7 prior to that and Vista prior to that [never used XP, but used what ever was before it]) and have been using MX as my default browser since approx 2012, and this is the 1st time when updating the browser I get this message.  In my MX settings I have checked the box that says ask me if another browser wants to be default.  So I am not sure what I need to change.  Incidently, Edge is a poor excuse for a browser; as one tech told me "it doesn't even qualify to be called a browser".  Edge belongs in a nudist camp, even IE does more than EDGE does.  But you are right Edge attempts to poke it nose into everything.  If I want to open a pdf file, I need to do a right click, because if I don't here comes Edge to the rescue to be the pdf reader........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR................as a pdf reader, Edge is a last resort reader......for that matter it is a last resort  Browser (or whatever it really is, because it is NOT a browser). So I'm not sure where to go to make what changes to what.  snap_screen_20180429195123.png 

2 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Is that default settings in MX or default settings in windows 10. In MX next to set as default browser there is a little red    .

That means that it's not set. The checkbox in your image shows that MX should check if it's the default, it doesn't show that it is the default

Press the "Set maxthon browser as default browser" button above it and it should fix the issue... but as No1 mentioned above, W10 can be a little finicky with this for some strange reason. That said, I haven't had this issue, but others seem to, and it doesn't seem to affect other browsers. So I think it's an MX issue as much as a W10 one.

7 hours ago, nevergetany said:

Well I pressed it and it still stays grey.  Not sure what MX has done in the most recent stable version, but something has tampered with the default setting.

Windows 10 has "tampered with the default settings". Go to Windows Settings>Apps>Default apps and scroll down until you see "Web Browser".

If it isn't MX5, click on it and change it. Windows sets the default browser to Edge when changes are made and I have found that simply setting it in Maxthon doesn't always make Windows 10 accept that. If you indeed have MX5 set as your default browser you shouldn't see the 
"permission" dialog box when you attempt to open Maxthon. BTW, that dialog shows up most times that you install new software asking if it's okay to go ahead with the setup file; it's not anything to worry about, just click yes or OK.

I've attempted to do that, but every time I hit the MX nothing happens. It still puts EDGE 1st.  If I knew removing Edge from the system entirely would work, that's what I would do, but it may replace it with something else.  I never had this issue with any of the prior releases of MX 5, MX4, or even MX3(cloud browser).  It wasn't until I put this newest release in that this issue happens, which make me think there is something in this release that prevents it from being the default browser and you have to give it permission every time.  This needs to be corrected before the next release.  OR maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I haven't figured out what it is.

sorry, but this doesn't happen to me at all, except when i first install a new version, so I have to think it isn't Maxthon per se so in my mi nd there is nothing that needs to be corrected in Maxthon. That said, how did you install the MX5 version 5.2.1.6000? From your original post, it sounds as though you are just now upgrading to MX5 from MX4. Did you install it into a new folder or over your installation of MX4? Ideally, each new version should be installed into it's own new folder and not over an older version so it should not be installed into the same folder that a previous MX4 version was installed into. But it also applies to versions of MX5, as the Mx5.1.x versions have a different core than the MX5.2.x versions. I don't know how you have installed the various versions or how m any you have tried, but in an effort to try and solve your problem, can you install the 5.2.1.6000 version into a totally new folder and then sync it with your passport data? (When you install a new version, in the dialog box, select Advanced and then modify the path that it is to be installed into so that it is a brand new folder and not what it is suggesting, which is usually the last folder you installed into. For instance, name the new folder MX5.2.x.x) Since I don't have the problem of being asked every time I open Maxthon if it is Okay, you either don't have it set as the default browser or your installation isn't working. Hope this helps but I don't guarantee it will solve your problem. Maxthon must be the default browser for that dialog box to stop appearing ( I get asked that every time I open an older version which is not my default browser anymore; and as a tester I have several versions installed simultaneously but only one is set as the default browser)

I have been using Mx since about 2012 (which I think was Mx 3--or cloud  browser...or maybe it was 2014 don 't remember when my 1st download was.  Originally I was IE,  but as I played with MX the more I liked it.  So as the updates came I just let MX do it's thing and never had any issues (of permission use, that is..I did have other issues), but the user forum helped me get through those.  And I do LOVE MX.  I tell others it's in the 22nd Century, and leaves all the other browsers out there in the dust.  It outperforms the other browsers out there 10million to 1). So back to the issue. The conversion from 3 to 4 went fine.  The conversion from 4 to 5 went fine. The changes from minor version to the next minor version went fine.  In late March or Early April I installed MX version 5.2.0.2000 and let MX do it however it does it, I don't change anything (and had no permission issues for ANY of the minor updates in version 5.  In fact the only time when I got a permission issue was when I loaded MX 4 [whatever]. But that I understood, I was going to a whole different version).  When the other versions after 5.2.0.2000 came out, I was not aware of it.  When I finally checked later in April I saw where the latest realease was 5.2.1.6000 . And I let MX install it iteself like I always do. I don't know if it has to create a new folder for every minor update or not, I just let it do what it needs to do. But for some reason this particular install ask permission every time I open it. Maybe I have a bad install.  I can re-install it again (I can let it re-write over itself, or I could uninstall it (which I really don't want to do, because I might lose all my settings that have been carried forward from version to version [successfully, I might add]) and then do another install. Or I can continue to grant permission every time until the next minor release comes and maybe the problem will rectify itself.  I do notice when I go into the windows settings for browsers it has EDGE at the top with a note underneath recommended. I don't think Microsoft would know a good browser it it bit 'em in the bottom.  If they really know a good browser, they would recommend MX.  Yeah, I'm prejudice, but I love MX.  I scroll down the list and for some reason I cannot explain there are 2 MX 5 icons. Could that cause this problem. If so, how do I know which one to delete, and what do I need to do...do I simply delete the extra folder (if it exists) or do uninstall (and hope it doesn't uninstall all my settings).  I'm not sure what is causing the double MX5 icon to show up in windows settings, because I don't see it on the desktop or the tray.

Can people please learn to use the enter key... most of the posts in this thread are very hard to read,.

10 hours ago, nevergetany said:

. I don't know if it has to create a new folder for every minor update or not, I just let it do what it needs to do

As you should. if using the installer, there's no need to do anything more then start and follow the instructions. If users want to delete all data/create new folders/stand on their head, then that's their choice.

I do notice when I go into the windows settings for browsers it has EDGE at the top with a note underneath recommended.

So long as MX5 is selected as your default, then that's all that should be required. If it's still doing that, then there's another issue.

I scroll down the list and for some reason I cannot explain there are 2 MX 5 icons.

not sure why that would be. Check your installed programs and see if there's more than one MX5 installed.

If you're using a passport account, i'd be tempted to delete ALL instances of MX5 and reinstall.

You can have 20 browsers installed, it shouldn't matter.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:50 PM, nevergetany said:

But I don't know where the folders are to rename one of them to MX4

Assuming you're only using the installer version they should all be in c:\program files (x86)\maxthon

Archived