Forced Auto-update?

Hey,

I've updated to the latest stable version which forced me to auto-update to the latest beta version.
Usually I update the betas as well, but this time I did not want that.

Why is there no option to set auto-update on or off?
I did not want to be forced to update whenever.
I decided to rename the updater file for now, but I think that the decision to update or not should be up to the users.
Please add the option to disable the updater.

17 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

Hey,

I've updated to the latest stable version which forced me to auto-update to the latest beta version.
Usually I update the betas as well, but this time I did not want that.

Why is there no option to set auto-update on or off?
I did not want to be forced to update whenever.
I decided to rename the updater file for now, but I think that the decision to update or not should be up to the users.
Please add the option to disable the updater.

I agree, I do NOT want an auto-update without giving my permission.  The should be an "Auto-update setting with options "Auto-updat;" "Ask permission to update," and "Do not auto-update."  "Ask permission..." would produce a notification that an update is available and options to agree or not (or maybe Agree, Later, and NO).

This would be much more pleasing to the users.

<<SL>>

23 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

I agree, I do NOT want an auto-update without giving my permission.  The should be an "Auto-update setting with options "Auto-updat;" "Ask permission to update," and "Do not auto-update."  "Ask permission..." would produce a notification that an update is available and options to agree or not (or maybe Agree, Later, and NO).

This would be much more pleasing to the users.

<<SL>>

what users want has never been something maxthon worried much about - they have always known best so we just have to keep in line and do as we are told

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

2 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

It was v.5.2.0.1400 when I posted.
Now it was "updated" to 5.1.7.2000

But regardless - it doesn't matter. I disable auto-update on all of my software.
Auto-update should be an option, not forced.

so you were "downdated" to the latest official version ? odd... most people using the beta were "updated" to the next beta which is 5.2.0.1500 !

sigmax2.png

8 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

It was v.5.2.0.1400 when I posted.
Now it was "updated" to 5.1.7.2000

That's why I was asking. Odd that they'd "update" you to an older release if your version was one of the new core beta versions.

Looks like they still have some testing to do on how to detect what/how to update what

20 hours ago, Tony said:

what users want has never been something maxthon worried much about - they have always known best so we just have to keep in line and do as we are told

Actually, auto update has been requested for years by many users and now that they finally incorporated it, all of those that didn't request it are speaking up. I think casual users want it and the hard core would like to have more control over their updates and upgrades. From the beginning it has always been suggested to make all items such as this to be optional, and not set in stone; some they have listened and others they have done as they think will be what everyone will want. In this case, make it possible for users to forgo the restart and continue to use their current version. Just a simple "No Thanks" button would suffice.

12 hours ago, Sergey_K said:

However, I will remind you that Opera browsers and Google Chrome automatically update and do not ask the user about his desire. It's true that this does not apply to beta versions ....

My Chrome installation only updates if I visit Help>About Chrome.  Do that and the download begins if an update is available - and these are "Official Release" versions.

<<SL>>

15 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

My Chrome installation only updates if I visit Help>About Chrome. 

Look in the task manager - the process GoogleUpdate.exe constantly works in the system. Everything will be updated without your participation.

5 minutes ago, Sergey_K said:

Look in the task manager - the process GoogleUpdate.exe constantly works in the system. Everything will be updated without your participation.

That process and another process, (actually services)) not only updates chrome, but all the google software (drive, google earth, etc ..), which does not mean that this type of action is correct (in my opinion)

Well, then you can advise the developers of Maxthon to be guided by a different principle of implementing updates: to make a pop-up window when you start the program with a message about the new version release and an invitation to go to the download page, and add the "to report the beta version of the program" in the browser settings.

6 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

That process and another process, (actually services)) not only updates chrome, but all the google software (drive, google earth, etc ..), which does not mean that this type of action is correct (in my opinion)

Well, just checked and we don't have that process, so Chrome does not full-auto-update.  It's probably stripped out by the sys-admins.

<<SL>>

Archived