V 5.2.0.1400 won't start

V 5.2.0.1400 fails to start after installation. I tried several things including killing all Maxthon processes, but none worked. I had to install V 5.1.7.1000 to start up the browser. It was close to giving me a panic.

Why were two different versions released on the same day, anyhow? Also why are two lines of different versions being developed at the same time (V5.1 and V5.2)?

1 hour ago, Simamtk said:

Why were two different versions released

One is the main stable release (5.1.x), slightly updated with some bugfixes. Most users should stick with this version.

Other is a beta release for the updated core.

It's not unusual to be working on two (or more) versions concurrently. Best example at the moment is Windows. They're getting ready for a new release next month, but internally they're already working on the next version to be released in 6 months. Skip ahead insiders have had access to this for the past month.

5.2 versions are betas of what is in the works and 5.1.7.1000 is a final of the 5.1 series and still has some bugs that are fixed in the 5.2 series. It sounds like you installed the 5.2.0.1400 in the same folder as you had previous 5.1 versions installed, since you mentioned that you had to install 5.1.7.1000 in order to get something to work. When you said that you tried several things, did you try and go into File Explorer and navigate to your Maxthon installation folder, go to Bin folder and click on the Maxthon.exe file to see if it would start by doing that? Sometimes I have had to do that after installing a new version and receive a message that says that it failed to start. My tip for you is to install a new series version in a new folder and not over a previous version during the installation process: click on Advanced and designate a new path for the installation. It does not need to be installed into a folder named Maxthon 5 or MX 5 (it has been so long since I have installed any version completely from scratch, I have forgotten what Maxthon offers as the installation path). Currently, I have installed versions in folders named Maxthon 5.1.5.xx, 5.1.6.xx, 5.1.6.xxx and Maxthon 5.2.0.x and they all work (just not all at the same time; one version at a time). Try and install 5.2.0.1400 into a new folder and see if that works better for you.

Archived