Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wisely

pc issue PDF open on MX

25 posts in this topic

Hello MX,

could you let us to disable PDF open on MX and that we can download it by MX downloder or IDM?

sometime, the MX open the PDF but is very simple function.

we cannot remark, or others.....

also when we want to save the PDF file into PC, the file date cannot keep file original date.

this file date is long long long time issue on MX downloder and nobody to fix it or have user have option to keep file original date.

it's not good for us.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can try to tick this option, then you can choose others local applications to open it.

1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unchecking the option in settings > advanced > Default file type > file type association settings > pdf  should allow it to be downloaded. BUT in my version at least it still opens in the MX viewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, 

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Unchecking the option in settings > advanced > Default file type > file type association settings > pdf  should allow it to be downloaded. BUT in my version at least it still opens in the MX viewer

Here also, I have everything disabled, and even then PDFs are opened by Maxthon (v.5.1.7.2000)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would desire for all of my pdf's to open in Foxit, my default pdf reader. But they open first in Maxthon lately as it appears that is now a default function for Maxthon. However, I go to the top right of the Maxthon pdf window and click on download arrow. This usually triggers a download window in which I click on "open" (but I could also save it to my PC if I wanted to), which triggers another Maxthon pdf window to open. But clicking the download arrow again (in the top right of the Maxthon window), I successfully get the pdf to open in a new Foxit window. (I have a multiple monitor setup and Foxit opens on a separate monitor for me, so the browser is still open and visible) Definitely extra steps, but once I got used to it, it's just a minor annoyance to me. What I would desire is that the first attempt to open a pdf would go straight to one's default pc pdf reader and not open in Maxthon at all. I seem to remember that in earlier Maxthon versions (like in MX2 or MX3), Foxit (or Adobe Reader)would open right in the browser in it's own tab. That to me would be the ideal, which from there one could save it or copy it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 This option is for 'download manager'. If you tick this option, it will arouse the local application to open the download file(for example, pdf) when you finish downloading. It will open with local application not maxthon.

1.png

2.This one is for local file which not related with download manager. If you untick PDF, it will open by local file not maxthon.

2.png

21 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Unchecking the option in settings > advanced > Default file type > file type association settings > pdf  should allow it to be downloaded. BUT in my version at least it still opens in the MX viewer

I tested follow rob's step, unchecking the pdf option in settings. My local file will open with 'PDF SOFTEWARE', if I tick this option(pdf), it will open by maxthon. It's normal here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

1 This option is for 'download manager'. If you tick this option, it will arouse the local application to open the download file(for example, pdf) when you finish downloading. It will open with local application not maxthon.

2.This one is for local file which not related with download manager. If you untick PDF, it will open by local file not maxthon.

I tested follow rob's step, unchecking the pdf option in settings. My local file will open with 'PDF SOFTEWARE', if I tick this option(pdf), it will open by maxthon. It's normal here.

 

With the same parameters (I've always had them that way), tested on portable and installable versions, and it does not work for me as accounts. The pdf always opens in the maxthon browser

By discarding if it is a matter of the reader pdf, tested in chromiun, for example, and the pdf is downloaded and opened by the local reader (pdf-xchange)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

1 This option is for 'download manager'. If you tick this option, it will arouse the local application to open the download file(for example, pdf) when you finish downloading. It will open with local application not maxthon.

1.png

2.This one is for local file which not related with download manager. If you untick PDF, it will open by local file not maxthon.

2.png

I tested follow rob's step, unchecking the pdf option in settings. My local file will open with 'PDF SOFTEWARE', if I tick this option(pdf), it will open by maxthon. It's normal here.

 

IN my MX 5.2.0.1500 is not workable.

it's still open pdf on MX not download or open it on MX with adobe pdf reader or something....

15 hours ago, rick.lane said:

I would desire for all of my pdf's to open in Foxit, my default pdf reader. But they open first in Maxthon lately as it appears that is now a default function for Maxthon. However, I go to the top right of the Maxthon pdf window and click on download arrow. This usually triggers a download window in which I click on "open" (but I could also save it to my PC if I wanted to), which triggers another Maxthon pdf window to open. But clicking the download arrow again (in the top right of the Maxthon window), I successfully get the pdf to open in a new Foxit window. (I have a multiple monitor setup and Foxit opens on a separate monitor for me, so the browser is still open and visible) Definitely extra steps, but once I got used to it, it's just a minor annoyance to me. What I would desire is that the first attempt to open a pdf would go straight to one's default pc pdf reader and not open in Maxthon at all. I seem to remember that in earlier Maxthon versions (like in MX2 or MX3), Foxit (or Adobe Reader)would open right in the browser in it's own tab. That to me would be the ideal, which from there one could save it or copy it.

Yes, in Mx2 or MX3 is better function for user to open pdf....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

The pdf always opens in the maxthon browser

You mean the downloaded pdf file or local pdf file, please send me the file that I can have a test here. If it have problem in download manager, please send me the link where can download pdf file.

13 hours ago, Wisely said:

it's still open pdf on MX not download or open it on MX with adobe pdf reader or something....

Have you tried "tick" that option in Menu-Settings-General-Download settings-open the file using default program. If it still open with MX, please send me that link to download pdf here I can have a test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

You mean the downloaded pdf file or local pdf file, please send me the file that I can have a test here. If it have problem in download manager, please send me the link where can download pdf file.

Downloaded files (this is what we are talking about in the thread)

pdf you want :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:, type in google for example, filetype: pdf science

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

Downloaded files (this is what we are talking about in the thread)

pdf you want :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:, type in google for example, filetype: pdf science

It's works fine here.

Please check this video, if you change the settings, the result will also change.

Tick this option  'Open the file using default program'-it will open with local application

Untick this option 'Open the file using default program'-it will open with Maxthon

Maybe the settings need to be wait for effective for few seconds. Please retry.

111.gif

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jajajajaja, you have cheated BugSir006 :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:, also to you opens the pdf the browser by default, but then you download it once opened, that is not what we are talking about

In the case that you expose, it is a local way of opening a pdf, 

We talk about opening the pdf client BEFORE the browser opens it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If possible, please back to MX2 or MX3's PDF funtion.

we can open it on MX with Adboe acrobat /Foxit reder....

or we can download it by our choose.

 

And you step is not easy for end user or for us to understanding to switch off MX pdf function.

 

anyway, thanks your help. and think about normal user's feeling.

it's not always based on your engineering mind.  it's not everyone is computer expert.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

We talk about opening the pdf client BEFORE the browser opens it

I am a little confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BugSir006 said:

I am a little confused.

ok, I'll tell you in a graphic way with another browser, for example, Firefox

If you have it installed, and it goes to configuration, you will see how it manages the downloads.
Regarding pdf, you will see that there are several options:
1- download and save it,
2 - open it directly with the manager (client) of pdf that we have or 
3 - "preview" it, (which is what Maxthon always does without giving another option).

 

MaxthonSnap20180323084519.png

 

MaxthonSnap20180323084504.png

 

MaxthonSnap20180323084443.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

it is a local way of opening a pdf, 

Technically it's always going to be local. Whether the file is downloaded with the users knowledge (via the downloader/pdf preview), or in the background using the default PDF program won't make a difference.

@BugSir006
But what people are annoyed at is that MX doesn't auto load a PDF in the default program if MX isn't the default handler. MX always opens PDF's in it's own viewer unless you explicitly select the option to download/save target as.

To make it the same as Firefox for example, the expectation is:
Click on a link to a PDF file
The save file dialog opens (also includes options to open/save/always use the selected option)
Click Open and it opens in the default viewer

In Maxthon:
Click on a link to a PDF file
The Maxthon PDF viewer opens

with Maxthon, to open the file in the default viewer you need to either:
Right click > Save target as OR Click on a link to a PDF file > click the download button in the MX PDF viewer
The save file dialog opens
Click Open and it opens in the default viewer

While it's only a few extra clicks, it can be annoying especially if you do this a lot. Also any tabs opened because of it need to be closed as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Technically it's always going to be local. Whether the file is downloaded with the users knowledge (via the downloader/pdf preview), or in the background using the default PDF program won't make a difference.

 

Totally agreed, I did not want to enter into technicalities about whether it is local storage on disk, ram memory, etc., it was only by reference to the comment of @BugSir006 , 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, 7twenty said:

 

To make it the same as Firefox for example, the expectation is:
Click on a link to a PDF file
The save file dialog opens (also includes options to open/save/always use the selected option)
Click Open and it opens in the default viewer

In Maxthon:
Click on a link to a PDF file
The Maxthon PDF viewer opens

with Maxthon, to open the file in the default viewer you need to either:
Right click > Save target as OR Click on a link to a PDF file > click the download button in the MX PDF viewer
The save file dialog opens
Click Open and it opens in the default viewer

I do not know if I have understood correctly. I tried to get your point and..

1.You mean the "save file dialog opens" firefox is more simple than Maxthon. Maxthon need Right click > Save target as OR Click on a link to a PDF file > click the download button in the MX PDF viewer. I have firefox browser, the "save file dialog opens" is same with Maxthon. 

Both need click that button or "right click-save target" , then the save file dialog pop-up

Firefox:1.png

Maxthon 2.png

2. If you mean.. 

On 3/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, 7twenty said:

But what people are annoyed at is that MX doesn't auto load a PDF in the default program if MX isn't the default handler. 

MX doesn't auto load a PDF in the default program- not very understand. Users can go settings to choose the option whether open with MX viewer or default program.

 

On 3/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, 7twenty said:

or in the background using the default PDF program won't make a difference.

MX always opens PDF's in it's own viewer unless you explicitly select the option to download/save target as.

If you tap this option, it can open:

1.open with default program(pdf)

2.MX viewer 

It depends on the settings

3.png 

4.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

I do not know if I have understood correctly. I tried to get your point and..

1.You mean the "save file dialog opens" firefox is more simple than Maxthon. Maxthon need Right click > Save target as OR Click on a link to a PDF file > click the download button in the MX PDF viewer. I have firefox browser, the "save file dialog opens" is same with Maxthon. 

Both need click that button or "right click-save target" , then the save file dialog pop-up

Firefox:1.png

Maxthon 2.png

2. If you mean.. 

MX doesn't auto load a PDF in the default program- not very understand. Users can go settings to choose the option whether open with MX viewer or default program.

 

If you tap this option, it can open:

1.open with default program(pdf)

2.MX viewer 

It depends on the settings

3.png 

4.png

Firefox does not open a PDF automaticly when a PDF link is clicked (as I do frequently at work).  It opens a dialog that has two radio button options, Open In: and Save File.  The Open In option has a dropdowm menu showing all the programs installed on the system yhat can display a PDF file.  Typically this is set to Adobe Acrobat, but it stays where it eas last set.  There is also a checkbox that, when checked makes it do the same thing every time.  If that is checked this dialog is bypassed and either the file opens in Acrobat or the Save File dialog appears.  I don't check it because I might want to do te other action from time to time AND  I don't know how to uncheck it once checked since that dialog no longer would appear.

I'm perfectly content to have that dialog appear every time I click a PDF link and I think it would be a better addition for Maxthon, provided the Open In option included a program selector that listed Maxthon and other available programs even for the portable version.

                                     <<SL>>

PS:  I see now )after scrolling farther up thread) that my description is a morror of 7twenty's description.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BugSir006 said:

do not know if I have understood correctly. I tried to get your point and..

1.You mean the "save file dialog opens" firefox is more simple than Maxthon. Maxthon need Right click > Save target as OR Click on a link to a PDF file > click the download button in the MX PDF viewer. I have firefox browser, the "save file dialog opens" is same with Maxthon. 

Both need click that button or "right click-save target" , then the save file dialog pop-up

Firefox:1.png

Maxthon 2.png

You take for granted that you should preview "before" the pdf file in the browser.

What we are talking about is that the browser  should have an option to not load in the browser, if not directly open with the chosen pdf client or if it does not appear a dialog box that allows you to save it, !! BUT WITHOUT PREVISUALIZATION !!! in maxthon.

I refer you to try the 3 configurations of firefox that I have put you and see the difference.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

What we are talking about is that the browser  should have an option to not load in the browser, if not directly open with the chosen pdf client or if it does not appear a dialog box that allows you to save it, !! BUT WITHOUT PREVISUALIZATION !!! in maxthon.

 

20 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

I'm perfectly content to have that dialog appear every time I click a PDF link and I think it would be a better addition for Maxthon, provided the Open In option included a program selector that listed Maxthon and other available programs even for the portable version.

 I well understand your words. 

'Open In option included a program selector that listed’ - a place could be optimized.

I will carefully record all of your feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

 

 I well understand your words. 

'Open In option included a program selector that listed’ - a place could be optimized.

I will carefully record all of your feedback.

below link is same problem, even on the 5.2.0.2000

I don't know what's happening on MX. the workaround is same issue, same problem.....

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm#combined

 

https://www.google.com.tw/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwj8-ca_oIzaAhVBopQKHTiYDyAQFgg7MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dataman.com%2Fmedia%2Fdatasheet%2FASIX_Electronics%2FAX1100x.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0bGeyVYbX1AjyiKnZKxgB6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wisely said:

Didn't find the download button

1 hour ago, Wisely said:

Tried to download with enable/disable settings-Open the file using default program

It works fine with the settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

Didn't find the download button

Tried to download with enable/disable settings-Open the file using default program

It works fine with the settings.

my MX is not work on 5.2.0.2000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites