BugSir006

MX5 PC Beta Release 5.2.0.1400

27 posts in this topic

Hey Maxers, 

Welcome to have a try of the brand new release!

Version 5.2.0.1400

For the full release note and changelog: click here

Also available on Maxthon's official website

http://www.maxthon.com/

Happy browsing and feel free leave your comment!

1 person likes this

Received my auto-update notification a few minutes ago.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Received my auto-update notification a few minutes ago.

I received it too

2 people like this

a 5.2.0.1500 was just pushed.. where is the changelog ?

3 people like this

20 minutes ago, -ody- said:

for some reason i dont get anything pushed so a link to the portable would be useful

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, -ody- said:

Same here, while I was using 5.2.0.1400. I was informed that an updated version was ready to be installed and to restart Maxthon. Before restarting I checked the forum for a notification but there was nothing. I restarted Maxthon and ended up with 5.2.0.1500. This is really not acceptable for me as I would have installed 1500 in it's own folder and not on top of 1400 in most cases. No problems appeared, so not really a problem but I prefer to have more control over my upgrades. Interestingly, on my Windows 10 tablet, my installation of Maxthon 5.2.0.1400 has not indicated that it needs an upgrade and Help>About says that the version is up to date. If I hadn't been using Maxthon for so many years (around 14) and been a regular member of this forum and the dealings with the dev team and moderators, I would be a  bit confused as to what gives but I realize that this is just another example of par for the course with this team.

Edit: 5.2.0.1500 was just now pushed to my Win10 tablet, just as it did to my desktop an hour ago. I wonder what I'll get on my Win7 machine? Will have to try it later. 

Tony: If you are using the portable version, and I'm guessing from previous posts, maybe upgrades aren't being pushed out for those versions. Both of mine so far have been install desktop versions. Just a thought and I will check with my one portable version that I have installed.

Edited by rick.lane
2 people like this

2 hours ago, -ody- said:

Nothing here either.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, rick.lane said:

If you are using the portable version, and I'm guessing from previous posts, maybe upgrades aren't being pushed out for those versions.

portable doesn't get auto updates

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

portable doesn't get auto updates

Thanks. I have never experimented with the portable version until recently, and I am finding out more about it every day. I noticed a clue about the auto update in the portable version when one goes to Help>About and there is no effort showing that it is checking to see if there are any updates available as it does in the install version. Until recently I had never gotten any automatic updates in the installed version either, so I was just thinking out loud. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 person likes this

updates seem selective - i run the portable version for normal use but always have the install version on a second laptop - thats not showing an update to 1500

1 hour ago, Tony said:

updates seem selective - i run the portable version for normal use but always have the install version on a second laptop - thats not showing an update to 1500

Just came back to my computer after dinner and the update was there.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I think it is more about time than being selective. My main desktop got it after about an hour using it. My tablet got it about an hour later after I turned it on, opened Maxthon and went back to work. On my Win7 computer, I turned it on, opened Maxthon, realized it was still on version 5.1.6.3000, so I upgraded it to 5.2.0.1400 and then just left on for over an hour, ate dinner and came back to it and there was the notice of the update and to restart Maxthon to complete the update. Now all 3 of my desktop install versions have been automatically upgraded to 5.2.0.1500; just seemed to take some time with the browser opened.

hmmm could it be they finally got auto updates working properly?

That's funny., I just reinstalled v5.1.7.1000 which was updated to v5.1.7.2000 immediately. New automatic updates in both stable and beta versions.

not overly impressed - my backup install updated without asking or telling me - only way i knew was to check the version number - thats all well and good but it overwrites any custom files in the install dir without backing them up

Maxthon gets more like Microsoft everyday - arrogant in the extreme - it might be their software but its my setup - dont change things back to default without asking or making a backup

not much users can do when microsoft do it - with a program like maxthon users will vote with their keyboard and delete it

2 hours ago, Tony said:

users will vote with their keyboard and delete it

That's your choice as well.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

dont change things back to default without asking or making a backup

use portable, just better...

22 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

use portable, just better...

i do as said above - my point is that many will not and find updates they did not ask for or [maybe] want - fine keeping up to date but if a user has made mods to skins [for example] they will be overwritten - keep backups you may say and thats an option but why piss people off for no reason - sure its not beyond the devs to backup changed files ot even give the option to update - user choice is not something maxthon think much about - they have always known better than the users that support them or think they do

37 minutes ago, Tony said:

i do as said above - my point is that many will not and find updates they did not ask for or [maybe] want - fine keeping up to date but if a user has made mods to skins [for example] they will be overwritten - keep backups you may say and thats an option but why piss people off for no reason - sure its not beyond the devs to backup changed files ot even give the option to update - user choice is not something maxthon think much about - they have always known better than the users that support them or think they do

It occurs to me that there may be an easy fix to stop overwriting moded files - LOCK THEM.   Windows should through an error message (if Maxthon does a Windows WRITE call) or Maxthon should do the  same if the devs decided to duplicate the call their way.

But it deserves a test before relying on it, and a test with a backup in case it fails.  I can't run such a test because I use portables and either WinZIP or  7Zip are in control.

<<SL>>

2 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

It occurs to me that there may be an easy fix to stop overwriting moded files - LOCK THEM.  

you need to try it - well dont bother it does not work 

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

you need to try it - well dont bother it does not work 

So much for "wise idea" - defeated by %@#%#$ ...

<<SL>>

5 hours ago, Tony said:

ell dont bother it does not work 

my testing shows that it just won't update. Update was found yesterday, restarted and it's the same version. Now the update check just goes on forever.

The new files are in the appdata folder ready to go. I guess it's a good way for users to manually do an autoupdate? They get notified, but allows them to copy the files over if they want? haven't tried that yet though.

3 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

my testing shows that it just won't update. Update was found yesterday, restarted and it's the same version. Now the update check just goes on forever.

The new files are in the appdata folder ready to go. I guess it's a good way for users to manually do an autoupdate? They get notified, but allows them to copy the files over if they want? haven't tried that yet though.

not for me - clean install of 1400 - changed 3 dat files fo load my theme and write protected them - added a couple of other write protected files and a dir that were nothing to do with maxthosn and left it to auto update in its own time - no notification it just updated to 1500

standard theme so my write protected theme files had been over written and non maxthon files and dirs had gone

so maxthon basically deletes the dir from program files or wherever and starts again

using my own theme i have seen it many times in the past - auto update is crocked imo - its the main reason i now use the portable version - its the only way i can keep them out of my install

V5.2.0.1500 is not released and we made a pushing update from V5.2.0.1400 to V5.2.0.1500

3 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

V5.2.0.1500 is not released and we made a pushing update from V5.2.0.1400 to V5.2.0.1500

where is the changelog ?

and where can the portable version be found ?

46 minutes ago, -ody- said:

where is the changelog ?

and where can the portable version be found ?

This is not publish for users. If you are using V5.2.0.1400, it will be update to V5.2.0.1500 automatically.

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

This is not publish for users. If you are using V5.2.0.1400, it will be update to V5.2.0.1500 automatically.

that makes no sense to me

why have you pushed it - what are you hiding by not making it public and not issuing a change log

suspicion drives the internet - this is suspicious

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Tony said:

and not issuing a change log

Like it would matter. half the time things aren't even on there... 

eg. broken spotify... no mention.
fixed spotify... no mention

1 person likes this