Portable update

Hi, guys...

an easy question for you:
for many reasons I still use the portable version.

Everytime I update the version, I forget what do. I simply move some important folder in GUEST folder (I don't use anything with cloud).
Probably should be better to move the entire UserData folder, but I'm scared of moving something too old and useful...

What is the right way to update without problems?

Uhmmm...trying to analyze the situation.
I have 5 folders in the NEW version: Addons, AppData, Bin, Core, Modules, and 6 in the OLD (the difference is only the "UserData").

Eventually, when I start the new version for the 1st time, that creates UserData automatically.

So, substantially it's like to simply move the old UserData folder in to the new version.
The problem is that I think...if I directly extract the new version over the old, before the this automatic creation I risk to keep older files.

And if I move the new version on the old AFTER I created UserData, it will totally cover my important files like MagicFill, for example.

3 hours ago, QIK5L said:

I just extract over the old version, not had a problem yet.

Never thought of doing that. Seeing as the new install will overwrite any older files, and any new ones will be added. Seeing as there is no Userdata folder, everything there stays as is.

The only reason I don't do that is to ensure that any older files that have been made obsolete for some reason don't stay in the folders.

My process is this:

Backup the current version to a folder (MX5.x.x.xxxx)
Extract new version to Maxthon5 folder
Copy over Userdata folder from MX5.x.x.xxxx folder to the Maxthon5 folder
Copy/add any extra bits/mods (skins/flash updates etc)

All this is done with a batch file so it's just a matter of pressing a button to have it done. Haven't had an issue with this setup that I can recall.

1 hour ago, frankmorris said:

And if I move the new version on the old AFTER I created UserData, it will totally cover my important files like MagicFill, for example.

So long as you don't run the new version once it's been extracted that won't be an issue. The new Userdata files only get created on first run. If it sees a guest account with your old files there then it gets used on the first run as though nothing has changed.

Either option will work, you just have to be wary of when you copy over your current userdata.

Archived