Maxthon installation folder

Hello!

At some point of time I noticed a brocken link in my start menu - Maxthon 5 it is. I checked executable it points to and I was unable to locate file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\Bin\MxStart.exe". I Checked all things deeper and found two links more, they point to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\5.1.4.1100\Bin\MxStart.exe" - does not work

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\5.1.5.2000\Bin\MxStart.exe" - working one

I wasn't sutisfied with the fact that my last release of Maxthon installed in "historical" folder. I made a clean install of last release mx5.1.6.3000.exe and last beta mx5.2.0.900-beta.exe, but both of them use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\5.1.5.2000\" folder to install despite of the fact I point install folder as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\"

Is it a cosmitic bug-feature or I made a misstake somewhere?

9 hours ago, 7twenty said:

how are you checking that each version is working?

Maxthon can only have one instance running at any time. So if you run 5.1.5.2000 then start 5.1.4.1000 to see if it works, 5.1.5.2000 with be given focus.

I do know Maxthon's habit to have only one instance running. So, I made deinstall of my current (at the point of investigation) Maxthon  5.1.6.3000, then I deleted former install folder of Maxthon -  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\", my User's Folder in AppData backed up, then a clean install of Maxthon Maxthon 5.1.6.3000 was performed. I had no luck - onstallation was in  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\5.1.5.2000\" folder. Then I repeated process with Maxthon 5.2.0.900 at tthe last stage with no luck too. I have had not only one instance of Maxthon running - I have had only one instance installed. But in the wrong folder, as I think.

8 hours ago, Astral Beast said:

I have had only one instance installed. But in the wrong folder, as I think.

Installed you can have the ones you want. As you say, running, just one instance.

Instead of running MxStart.exe, do it directly with Maxthon.exe

When uninstalling maxthon, do it with any tool like geekuninstaler or similary (free) that will erase the registry more thoroughly

Hey!

I don't care the way Maxthon is started, with start dongle or with direct link! I'm talking about installation folder!

Why MX with version 5.1.6.3000 or 5.2.0.900 gets installed in folder %installation_folder_from_setup_screen%\5.1.5.2000 instad of just %installation_folder_from_setup_screen%. If the product version is important in the installation folder's name, why it does not change with the self-product version change?

3 hours ago, Astral Beast said:

Hey!

I don't care the way Maxthon is started, with start dongle or with direct link! I'm talking about installation folder!

Why MX with version 5.1.6.3000 or 5.2.0.900 gets installed in folder %installation_folder_from_setup_screen%\5.1.5.2000 instad of just %installation_folder_from_setup_screen%. If the product version is important in the installation folder's name, why it does not change with the self-product version change?

I'm not following all of the complaint you have but let me ask this question: When you install a Maxthon version, do you click on Advanced in the install dialog? When you do, there is the path that the Maxthon Installer wants to install it into and it will be the last place you installed a version (unless it is the very first time a Maxthon 5 version is being installed on one's computer, then it is set to install into a folder named Maxthon 5, I believe, since it's been years since I have installed  a first time version). You can at that point install it into any folder you want to. I currently have 4 versions of Maxthon 5 installed all in different folders (I am a tester, so I have several installed at a time) and they are in folders named C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5.1.5.xx, Maxthon5.1.6.xx, Maxthon5.1.6.xxx and Maxthon5.2.0.x, which is exactly how I have directed them to be installed in the path dialog. I also have desktop shortcuts for 3 of them plus an icon for a portable version and all work fine. Maybe what you are experiencing is what Maxthon Installer does if you don't make changes before clicking install.  Sorry if I misunderstood what you are doing to install and this is not your problem, I just didn't gather that from your posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hola there!

As I said before, after previous install of MX 5.2.0.1200 I have real installation in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\5.1.5.2000\". With new beta 5.2.0.1300 I noticed a new folder created under  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxthon5\"  - 5.2.0.1300 (Yeah!), and all the shortcuts are got modified according to new version installed in new folder.

Hope, this momet will have no change.

Archived