IP addresses using Maxthon are being blocked

mwal

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com is blocking the IP addresses of visitors who use Maxthon.

The excuse they give for this is "Maxthon *is* sending automated scans to our site with a fake referrer", although I suspect that their motive is more racial, given the dirty tricks that American browsers get up to (which they seem happy to allow).

I'm directing them to this topic, so kindly address the matter here.

How far into the page does one have to go to get that blocking? Does one have to log in or does simple browsing the site make it happen for you? I just clicked your link and the page opened without any problem, but I don't do gaming and have no other reason to be there. You didn't provide any details about your Maxthon version or even if you are using a Windows or Mac or Android or iOS version or if you are using an installed or portable version, all of which may make a difference and/or lead to a possible solution. Sorry I am unable to offer any insight but maybe with a little more info, one of the more knowledgeable will be able to. 

1 hour ago, Galileusz said:

This page does not block me. But maybe because I'm using vpn.

If you browse around the site, it kicks in.  I tend to drag to open links (because it's there), so it might be related to the number of pages opened at once (never more than about half a dozen).

Does your VPN hide your browser version?  The page will scrape that, regardless -- which is perfectly fine by this site, of course, because it's they who are intruding on their visitors' privacy by scraping such details.

I thought it an interesting (and, of course, incredibly stupid and blinkered) concept.  I think I'll block chrome and IE users from visiting my site -- and anyone who uses an apple browser... fageddabahdit!

48 minutes ago, rick.lane said:

You didn't provide any details about your Maxthon version or even if you are using a Windows or Mac or Android or iOS version or if you are using an installed or portable version

They say that they ban IPs that use Maxthon, version independent.

That doesn't answer any of the questions I asked of you. I still haven't had any problem on that site and see no indication that there is a problem after browsing around the site; just asked to open an account. They haven't said anything yet about Maxthon. Please provide the information requested and maybe also provide us with what user agent you are using in your version of Maxthon, as that is how sites determine just what browser you are using. 

21 hours ago, rick.lane said:

That doesn't answer any of the questions I asked of you. I still haven't had any problem on that site and see no indication that there is a problem after browsing around the site; just asked to open an account. They haven't said anything yet about Maxthon. Please provide the information requested and maybe also provide us with what user agent you are using in your version of Maxthon, as that is how sites determine just what browser you are using. 

It looks like they've fixed it (probably after reading some of the material I suggested they read -- and perhaps realising that there are millions of Maxthon users), because I'm not getting the blocked notice myself, now, either, despite having opened a couple of dozen pages in short order.

But please do not ask me again for information that I am not willing to post on a public message board.

In fact, I would suggest that you don't ask for such information from anyone, without a private line of communication.

46 minutes ago, mwal said:

But please do not ask me again for information that I am not willing to post on a public message board.

In fact, I would suggest that you don't ask for such information from anyone, without a private line of communication.

I didn't ask for any information that we don't ask of anyone that needs help, and have been asking for, for 15 years that I have been on this forum. There is nothing that I asked for that is of a personal nature that shouldn't be on an open forum and may also be helpful to others that may be experiencing the same problem. Your version number and whether you are using a desktop installed installation or a portable one reveal nothing personal about you and are standard operating procedure for anyone to ask for when trying to help users with a problem. I am currently using a desktop installed Windows version Maxthon 5.1.6.1000 with the Maxthon specific custom user agent, obtained from a thread regularly updated on this forum, on a Windows 10 PC. See, that wasn't so hard and revealed nothing of a personal matter about me. And all of that info is necessary to begin to see why one is having a problem. Sorry, but I don't understand your concern and it only makes it harder to help you without that basic information, especially if we are unable to replicate the problem on our machines.

5 hours ago, rick.lane said:

I didn't ask for any information that we don't ask of anyone that needs help, and have been asking for, for 15 years that I have been on this forum. There is nothing that I asked for that is of a personal nature that shouldn't be on an open forum and may also be helpful to others that may be experiencing the same problem. Your version number and whether you are using a desktop installed installation or a portable one reveal nothing personal about you and are standard operating procedure for anyone to ask for when trying to help users with a problem. I am currently using a desktop installed Windows version Maxthon 5.1.6.1000 with the Maxthon specific custom user agent, obtained from a thread regularly updated on this forum, on a Windows 10 PC. See, that wasn't so hard and revealed nothing of a personal matter about me. And all of that info is necessary to begin to see why one is having a problem. Sorry, but I don't understand your concern and it only makes it harder to help you without that basic information, especially if we are unable to replicate the problem on our machines.

I didn't ask you to replicate anything, because it's nothing you can fix.  This isn't a Maxthon bug ticket; it's a thread in a discussion forum.

I simply provided a fact: that a substantial American web-site was banning users of Maxthon.  And I further directed that site's admins to this thread and to material about Maxthon.  My objective was to nip such behaviour in the bud, not to cry for help.

If you want to help (with the situation, not help me personally), then provide information in this thread that they can read.

And when speaking publicly on-line, you shouldn't even say what OS you use, let alone what browser version.  "Personal" has nothing to do with it; you're providing statistical data on who/what to target, and how.

7 minutes ago, mwal said:

I didn't ask you to replicate anything, because it's nothing you can fix.  This isn't a Maxthon bug ticket; it's a thread in a discussion forum.

I simply provided a fact: that a substantial American web-site was banning users of Maxthon.  And I further directed that site's admins to this thread and to material about Maxthon.  My objective was to nip such behaviour in the bud, not to cry for help.

If you want to help (with the situation, not help me personally), then provide information in this thread that they can read.

And when speaking publicly on-line, you shouldn't even say what OS you use, let alone what browser version.  "Personal" has nothing to do with it; you're providing statistical data on who/what to target, and how.

A lot people are here to help. No need to get so worked up.

46 minutes ago, Simamtk said:

A lot people are here to help. No need to get so worked up.

Who's worked up?  I'm stating facts, cleanly and clinically.

Web-sites that show such behaviour should be taught correct behaviour.

Anyone who wants to help can simply do as I asked, and address the matter, not go off on strange tangents and demand that I hand over unneeded information.

No-one has done that yet, though -- and, logically speaking, if no-one can provide any good reasons why web-sites should not ban Maxthon users, then maybe those web-sites are right.

3 hours ago, mwal said:

Anyone who wants to help can simply do as I asked, and address the matter, not go off on strange tangents and demand that I hand over unneeded information.

And everyone helped you by visiting the page you gave. No one has recorded the symptoms given by you. You do not want to provide more information, it is your business. But, none of us is a fairy to help you without additional information.

8 hours ago, mwal said:

And as an Administrator I know more about you than you have ever posted, so your diatribe about not wanting to release "important" information about anything was wasted.  And who gave the information to that website that you were using Maxthon?  And your comment about it being "racial" was totally uncalled for.  I'm sure they have nothing against people from the Netherlands.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

17 hours ago, mwal said:

It looks like they've fixed it (probably after reading some of the material I suggested they read -- and perhaps realising that there are millions of Maxthon users), because I'm not getting the blocked notice myself, now, either, despite having opened a couple of dozen pages in short order.

I think it was not "broken", all the others have been working for us. Nothing to blame maxthon.

17 hours ago, mwal said:

As indicated above, you are asked, as everyone before to address a problem (which you attribute to maxthon), a generic information that others can corraborrar. Nothing that any website you visit can extract.

http://whatsmyuseragent.org/
https://detectmybrowser.com/
https://ipleak.net/
https://whatbrowser.org/
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/
https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

For the rest, I respect the people who voluntarily spend their time answering in this forum.

8 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

And as an Administrator I know more about you than you have ever posted, so your diatribe about not wanting to release "important" information about anything was wasted.  And who gave the information to that website that you were using Maxthon?  And your comment about it being "racial" was totally uncalled for.  I'm sure they have nothing against people from the Netherlands.

As an administrator, you should have noticed that I posted details of a popular, American web-site was banning the IPs of people who visited the site using Maxthon -- and you should have taken action, by, in this case, addressing their "misgivings" in this public forum that I informed you I had directed them to.

As an administrator, you should know that here is a HUGE difference between allowing a web-site that has a valid certificate see what browser, etc. I am using, and posting the same information on a public message board.  E.g. as an administrator, you also have access to password administration for the forum-- are you suggesting that I should post my password on a public message board?

As an administrator, I'm sure that you know that Maxthon is Chinese -- one of the USA's pet politics-of-fear "enemies". 

I did not ask for help.

I did not demand that you give me private information.

I merely informed you that a high-ranking web-site was banning the IPs of people using Maxthon -- something that you, as an administrator, should want to do something about.

Instead of doing something about it, you chose to attack me for not being willing to post personal details on a public message board -- something that no-one should ever do.

But never mind.

I fixed the problem myself, while you were busy having a go at me.

The site is no longer blocking the IPs of Maxthon users, and can be used as an example if any other sites jerk their knees in response to current US political drum-bashing.

As an administrator, you should be damned well ashamed at how little you contributed to the fix.

<plonk>

33 minutes ago, mwal said:

As an administrator, you should be damned well ashamed at how little you contributed to the fix.

And you sir/madam, should be damned well ashamed at how childish you are with your silly rant about a glitch on a website that lasted for a few seconds and caused you to go off the deep end about something that was not even a problem, as evidenced by the 9 posts after yours that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the website.  And as far as your statement about that website "banning people using Maxthon", well, maybe that website knows a lot more about you than you think and that is why you were the only one that was banned and no one else.  

Have a great day.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Archived