Maxthon & VPN

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: I don't think has anything to do with your public IP address.

Physical Address: Is your device MAC address. Also doesn't have anything to do with your public IP address.

Link-local IPv6 Address: Is a local network only address.. and in this case is for IPV6, which i don't think you are using given your other details shown. And I don't believe has anything to do with your public IP address

I think it's related to your VPN. It seems that you don't have a public IP, because you're on the VPN which has given you the local IP of 169.254.xxx.xxx, which is very odd for a local IP. As far as Maxthon is concerned you're only on a local network and is giving you only the local IP address, which is actually that given to you by your VPN. Your true local IP is 192.168.1.4.

The simplest way to check is if you can test with the VPN off and see if things go back to normal.

I just showed what command ipconfig/all displays and I know what those values are.

If my local IP is  192.168.1.4  then how Maxthon see it as 169.254.112.87 which is reserved IP address used typically when computer can't find DHCP server.

As you can see that's not the case here because DHCP server is available and working.

Any 'what is my IP" web site I visit will show correct public IP address except Maxthon itself.

I could understand that Maxthon has issues seeing public IP due to VPN but local IP address should be always correct.

Point is that internet access is working even with Maxthon displaying wrong IP address information.

All sites are opening without any issues except Maxthon quick dial start page.

5 hours ago, 17167647 said:

All sites are opening without any issues except Maxthon quick dial start page.

tracert pc-newtab.maxthon.com

Should give an indication as to where the connection is being blocked/dropped.

5 hours ago, 17167647 said:

I could understand that Maxthon has issues seeing public IP due to VPN but local IP address should be always correct.

True, but I have no idea where MX get's the data from. It could be using some weird method and the VPN just screws things up more. As above, test with VPN off to confirm that is the cause.

On 2/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, 17167647 said:

Maxthon sees my IP as 0.0.0.0   :-(

2.jpg

And in version 4 Quick Acess works.

0.0.0.0  usually displays only when first booting M5 and usually quickly displays proper IP.

My surface lists 4 different local connections, check that you've chosen the correct one to show. My pc only shows 2.

If you're using win10 build17083 it could be causing the issue you are having with vpns.

Both M4 and M5 have had issues displaying local IP at one time or another but it seems to work fine now.

IP.png

Thank you PHYR. I'm sure I am using the right local connection. I'll check some older PC I have to eliminate possibility that Win10 is issue.

I am still convinced that problem is in Maxthon as every other browser I tried is working OK. Even, Maxthon is working great except that quick dial page is not loading.

I'll ask in pfsense forums too in case anyone else experienced something similar.

Archived