MX 5.1.6.1000 Questions After My Overdue Upgrade

Chim

I just finished upgrading to MX 5.1.6.1000.  

(1)  I cannot find AdBlock Plus.  Where is it?  I did click on the box to install AdBlock Plus upon the install prompt, but just cannot find it anywhere.  I need to conduct my usual messing around with it to eventually get it to actually block Ads.  I always encounter this after from scratch Maxthon installs.  

(2)  What is DirectWrite?

(3)  What version of Flash Player does this version of MX5 have?  It probably won't work with Windows XP, but I'm curious, just in case I use it with another computer.

(4)  A little bit later, I'm going to install MX5 Portable in my PortableApps.com platform on my Flash Drive.  Now that I have my Favorites reorganized and back in order after the mess that was imported upon the MX5 install ... will my install of MX5 Portable import THOSE organized Favorites from my Desktop installed version of MX5?  Or will it import the Favorites from my Desktop installed version of Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 and messed up at that?  Or will it not even import anything automatically because it's a Portable app?

1 hour ago, Chim said:

I cannot find AdBlock Plus.

Click the square boxes next to the menu button. It should be in there. If not, check settings > functions &  addons, make sure it's enabled in there.

As with most things, if you look you will find it. Nothing is hidden to the point that it's impossible to find.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

What is DirectWrite?

To do with the way text and fonts are used. Doesn't support XP, so won't affect you.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

What version of Flash Player does this version of MX5 have?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

1 hour ago, Chim said:

will my install of MX5 Portable import THOSE organized Favorites from my Desktop installed version of MX5?  Or will it import the Favorites from my Desktop installed version of Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 and messed up at that?

It will import the data. I'm not sure which though. I would assume the MX5 data as it's the most recent. But as with a lot of things Maxthon related, what makes sense isn't always the way things happen.

3 hours ago, Chim said:

I just finished upgrading to MX 5.1.6.1000.  

(1)  I cannot find AdBlock Plus.  Where is it?  I did click on the box to install AdBlock Plus upon the install prompt, but just cannot find it anywhere.  I need to conduct my usual messing around with it to eventually get it to actually block Ads.  I always encounter this after from scratch Maxthon installs.  

Cover installation? If you are not cover installed, there will not appear this reminder. If you still can't find the adp extension

You can download it from extension center.

广告过滤,覆盖安装没有该提示.png

Actually, FYI, 7twenty ... my case turned out to be exactly that --- impossible to find.  Impossible because it wasn't there period.  Not only was it not enabled, it wasn't in the Functions & AddOns area period.  I wound up having to install it manually even though the initial MX5 install prompt led me to believe it would install it.  So see?  I can't just seek and find it if it's not there anywhere under the hood of MX5.  I don't frequent these forums remotely daily.  I'm not a Maxthon Expert.  That's why I come here for answers.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, that Adobe link only indicates what the latest version is, not what version is inside the latest version of MX5.  After some brief poking around in the Portable version, I thought I saw something about Flash Player version 24 something.

I already found the answer to my last question.  I went ahead with my MX5 Portable install.  Unfortunately, it imported my Maxthon 4.9.4.2000 Favorites in that same backwards messed up fashion as when I installed my Desktop version.  Not wanting to go through another manual reorganizing of messed up imported Favorites like I did earlier today, I tried switching out various Favorites folders in my Portable MX5 with what I figured was my Desktop MX5's Favorites folder ... to no avail.

Speaking of the Portable version of MX5, I am not thrilled with its internal folders / layers layout.  The Portable version of MX5 is the only Portable app that I have ever encountered that cannot be installed into my PortableApps.com platform in my Flash Drive and have it launch directly off the menu.  The Maxthon launching exe. file is buried 3 layers deep.  I can't figure out why that would be.  To launch it, I have to do so manually sans usage of the menu since it doesn't even display on the menu.  Unless someone knows how to get it to display and launch from the PortableApps.com menu.

@BugSir006 --- That box in the image you attached is exactly the box that I checked upon my MX5 installation and yet it apparently did NOT install.  I don't know if it's maybe a bug or it just didn't like my Windows XP.

But, it's installed now after the fact.  It'll probably be tomorrow before it starts working correctly and actually blocking Ads.  As with all my from scratch Maxthon installs, for some mysterious reason, AdBlock Plus usually doesn't start blocking Ads until the following day's EasyList downloads.

8 hours ago, Chim said:

Actually, FYI, 7twenty ... my case turned out to be exactly that --- impossible to find.  Impossible because it wasn't there period.  Not only was it not enabled, it wasn't in the Functions & AddOns area period.

I wasn't aware that ABP has become an optional extra. It's definitely still in there with the most recent portable version.

I apologise if you feel I misled you, but I gave the correct answer based on the information I had at hand.

8 hours ago, Chim said:

Anyway, as far as I can tell, that Adobe link only indicates what the latest version is, not what version is inside the latest version of MX5.

Nope, the table down the bottom shows the latest release on each platform. But the box underneath the flash video quite clearly states "Version Information - You have version xx,x,x,xx installed".

8 hours ago, Chim said:

Speaking of the Portable version of MX5, I am not thrilled with its internal folders / layers layout.  The Portable version of MX5 is the only Portable app that I have ever encountered that cannot be installed into my PortableApps.com platform in my Flash Drive and have it launch directly off the menu.  The Maxthon launching exe. file is buried 3 layers deep.  I can't figure out why that would be.

MX portable is a true portable version in every sense of the word. You can run that version on any system just extracted into a folder. No need for the stuffing about of "installing" a PortableApps.com-ified version. To my knowledge there were a few older releases made to work with portableapps.com, but none for a while.

I guess you could make up your own if you feel that it's worth it for yourself or others. For me the true portable version is all that is required.

I once tried playing about with portableApps.com-ified version of Chrome, biggest headache ever. And i learned my lesson to never bother with them again. But i guess if you want the menu and whatever other benefits it might offer then it might be good?!

But why in the world everything can't just be put into a nice zip file and run from it's own folder is beyond me..

9 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

I wasn't aware that ABP has become an optional extra. It's definitely still in there with the most recent portable version.

neither had i but this morning abp had turned itself off - i always ask what have i done - add to that that i had just added a rule but it certainly was not working after that

went back a couple of versions and it worked perfectly so back to latest version and into extensions and abp was off - numerous attempts to turn it on which it did eventually but something would seem to have changed

or as i say above - maybe its me!

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

@7twenty   Ahhh, okay.  I see it now ... that box that displays what version of Flash Player is installed.  I hadn't seen it before because it no doubt hadn't loaded yet.  For me with my Dial Up Internet, the Adobe website has historically been probably the slowest, longest-loading website on the Net.  So it's version 24 something.

Those PortableApps.com apps actually can also be run outside the PortableApps.com platform environment.  You would just install them anywhere and double click on the main exe. file.  I just happen to prefer those versions because they're easier / quicker to install.  And I prefer my Portable apps to be able to be launched from the PA.com menu because it's way more convenient and quicker.  I don't come remotely even close to having the know how to be able to make my own PA.com version of MX5.  I'll see about tossing the idea over to the Big Cheese at PortableApps.com for them to look into making a PA.com version of MX5.  I won't hold my breath that that will happen anytime soon, but at least I'll plant the seed.

@Golfmann and @Magdalene  I'll go ahead and do that, save my MX5 Favorites as an HTML file.  That said though, I have a question that maybe one of you two can answer.

Once the Favorites are saved as an HTML file, will that file need to be in a particular folder / path in order for the importing process to see it and USE it to import the Favorites from that HTML file instead of automatically importing them from my Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites like happened two or three times yesterday?  Yeah, yesterday I wasn't given any choice, wasn't prompted as to whether I even WANTED to import anything ... much less how or from where.  The importing process just started immediately all by itself.

20 minutes ago, Chim said:

yesterday I wasn't given any choice, wasn't prompted as to whether I even WANTED to import anything .

It's a "feature" to allow users to get up and running with their data as quickly as possible. Definitely not the most popular based on a few posts recently.

To stop that from happening, so long as you don't intend to use your older version, rename the %appdata%\Maxthon3 folder to something else (eg. maxthon3.old). To find it, open an Explorer window and paste %appdata% into the address bar.

29 minutes ago, Chim said:

Once the Favorites are saved as an HTML file, will that file need to be in a particular folder / path

No. You will get the option to choose where/which HTML file to import.

12 minutes ago, Magdalene said:

Don't log in Use the guest account. 

Makes no difference, data is still imported if there is an %appdata%\maxthon3 or 5 folder. It sounds like the guest account was already being used.

Had a play around with the whole portable apps thing... I still think it's a lot of stuffing about for something that doesn't offer much more than what the actual MX portable version does.

To add it to your menu, you need to slightly modify an .ini file from the default template to point to the .exe file, and to add the version/title/info etc. so it shows up in the menu properly. So not hard, but not something i'd be willing to do just for the "simplicity" of adding to a third party menu.

But honestly why you need to stuff about with that is still lost on me. Unless you are truly using it on a portable device, then yes having a menu to access the programs is a good idea. But for a standalone PC it's doesn't seem worth the effort, instead - Download MX portable, extract, create a shortcut to the maxthon.exe file on your desktop/start menu/taskbar and run it. Simple. No need for installers, portable apps, creating .ini files or anything. If a new version is required, extract to the same folder and all the links stay the same.

With that said...:To make it work:

Extract the Maxthon portable .7z file into the same folder as the PortableApps.com folder. It doesn't matter what it's called (Maxthon/MaxthonPortable/MX5Portable, whatever).

In that it should have created the MaxthonPortable folder. Rename that folder to App.

Extract the attached appInfo.zip file to the App folder.

After that you should a folder structure like this:
MaxthonSnap20180201001535.png

Refresh your Portable Apps menu and it should show up.

In future all you need to do is extract the latest version of MX portable into the App folder. Note you'll need to copy over the files in the MaxthonPortable folder in the .7z file, not just extract it.

Note1: that you will need to update the appinfo.ini file in the AppInfo folder with the current version if you want that displayed on the tooltip in the menu.

Note2: the MX icon isn't displayed, as you need to add the assets for that. I didn't bother.

Hope that helps.

AppInfo.zip

@7twenty  TOUCHDOWN!  You just threw a 99-yard touchdown pass, 7twenty!  Your steps worked.  Woo Hoo!  Yep, "Maxthon5 Portable" displayed in my PA.com menu AND it actually launched it upon one mere click of it.  That was brilliant ... genius ... awesome!  You outdid yourself.  :5884970a7da3a_1:

Actually at first I couldn't get it to work.  I did several takes, changing factors in the equation each time to see if it would work, but it kept failing to even display in the menu, much less actually launch.  I was just about ready to wave the white flag when suddenly at the last second, out of the corner of my eye I saw that "AppInfo.zip" link way at the bottom of your comment.  That was the missing link.  I kept being thrown off all those other times by that mention of "AppInfo.zip" and I couldn't figure out to what you were referring.  Once I factored that into the equation --- BAMM!  It worked.

Let me try one last time to elaborate / clarify why it is so important / useful to me to have all Portable apps be able to launch from my PA.com platform in my Flash Drive.  You have to look at the entire picture, all the possibilities, other scenarios.  I don't just use my Portable apps here on my desktop.  I periodically go to my siblings' houses to use their High Speed Internet to download apps updates onto my Flash Drive and / or to perform some computer maintenance.  Either way, on those occasions, I want my PortableApps.com platform toolbox all ready, willing and ABLE to bring up all my Portable apps at the simple click of the app name on the PA.com menu ... on ANY computer that is not my desktop.  Therefore, the idea that I just simply create a shortcut to MX5 Portable on MY DESKTOP does not work here.  I don't want to have to be manually launching various Portable apps on someone else's computer via a myriad of clicks and double clicks when I can just 1 click them into operation from 1 central location.

Oh well.  It is a preference.  Some people love Rap ... I can't stand it.  Some people prefer the PA.com way ... others don't.  :D  Thanks again for that life-saving info, 7twenty.

3 hours ago, Chim said:

useful to me to have all Portable apps be able to launch from my PA.com platform in my Flash Drive.

Yeah, i mentioned that. For whatever reason I was thinking you're using it as your default PC browser. Makes more sense in the way that you use it.

Although... if it was me, i'd have all my portable apps on my flash drive, and in the root folder a shortcut to the .exe file. Simple menu - may not look as pretty but would still work.

But as you say, it's a preference. Happy that you've got it working the way you want.

Archived