Latest version ---- Excessive CPU Usage

gregl7

I recently upgraded to the latest version (5.1.5.2000).  Since then I have noticed that Maxthon has been freezing randomly on certain websites.  I've noticed it a few times on Facebook, but it happens constantly on Amazon when browsing the website.  At the moment I only have 2 tabs open in Maxthon --- this and Amazon.com.  When I have this tab open, CPU usage is normal (around 8%).  If I switch to the Amazon tab, however, Maxthon freezes and CPU usage jumps to between 35-40% (screenshot attached). 

This has happened several times now, across the period of several days, having turned off my computer between each time.  It generally happens after being on Amazon after about 10 minutes or so when I'm searching for a product and browsing items.  

amazon_maxthon.JPG

19 hours ago, gregl7 said:

I recently upgraded to the latest version (5.1.5.2000).  Since then I have noticed that Maxthon has been freezing randomly on certain websites.  I've noticed it a few times on Facebook, but it happens constantly on Amazon when browsing the website.  At the moment I only have 2 tabs open in Maxthon --- this and Amazon.com.  When I have this tab open, CPU usage is normal (around 8%).  If I switch to the Amazon tab, however, Maxthon freezes and CPU usage jumps to between 35-40% (screenshot attached). 

This has happened several times now, across the period of several days, having turned off my computer between each time.  It generally happens after being on Amazon after about 10 minutes or so when I'm searching for a product and browsing items.  

amazon_maxthon.JPG

I am also getting some times more than 1300 - 1400 MB usage.... Also the Browser is again Unstable and Crashing too many times

On 15/01/2018 at 0:22 PM, 22518361 said:

I am also getting some times more than 1300 - 1400 MB usage..

Same, but i've got 14gb to play with. I paid for that RAM so it may as well get used.

On 15/01/2018 at 0:22 PM, 22518361 said:

Also the Browser is again Unstable and Crashing too many times

Can't say that's the case for me. Same session running for quite a while now. Still running well with 15 tabs opened.

I understand everyone uses their browser differently and visits different sites, but i'm not sure what people are doing that's causing so many issues.

2 hours ago, Golfmann said:

memory usage in Maxthon is poor. It is a fact,

Leaks bad on my system. Does not clear ever without a re-start,

I've seen other browsers with options to purge memory every 30 minutes or whatever or on closing at least, etc.

Just a fact

I don't know what you call "facts" but I don't have any of the memory problems that you are reporting. Not sure what you mean by "leaks bad" on your system either, but Maxthon clears completely for me when I close the program, with no trace. I am using Windows 10 Home fully upgraded with 12GB of RAM. And I install each new version in a new folder (well most of the time) but leave the data folder in Roaming intact; betas I tend to install in the same folder as the previous beta version but never install a beta into the same folder as a final version or a final version over a beta. Many folks never tell us just how they installed so we don't know if that is the problem or not; they just say "just upgraded to the latest version" with some actually identifying which version that is by number, as the OP did on this thread. I have found that how one installs a new version does make a difference.

6 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Same, but i've got 14gb to play with. I paid for that RAM so it may as well get used.

Can't say that's the case for me. Same session running for quite a while now. Still running well with 15 tabs opened.

I understand everyone uses their browser differently and visits different sites, but i'm not sure what people are doing that's causing so many issues.

I've never understood people's problem with RAM usage. RAM is designed to speed up the recovery of data. M5 allocates a small amount of RAM for various tasks, such as addons, RSS reader, etc. So unless you are stuck with only one or two GBs of RAM on your machine, 1.5GBs of RAM usage by M5 should not be an issue unless you are running other programs simultaneously. 

it runs away on mine, ok...
it's a fact with mine.
I always do clean installs and I've used computers sine 1974 and  have other bonifides including degrees and career experience, but it isn't important.

I see it climb in real time using a gadget on my desktop and no the memory does not clear on closing the program. The program parts clear but not the memory used.

Ram usage is fine to a point but it also interferes and actually the program slows if too much is used 9 or 10 gig, say.
I am talking about my machine:
i7 intel, windows 10 pro, 18 gig memory

Install this gadget if you want and track it in real time yourselves. Up to you.
http://gadgetsrevived.com/2347/

btw, is this a browser or a cult?

11 hours ago, Golfmann said:

it runs away on mine, ok...
it's a fact with mine.
I always do clean installs and I've used computers sine 1974 and  have other bonifides including degrees and career experience, but it isn't important.

I see it climb in real time using a gadget on my desktop and no the memory does not clear on closing the program. The program parts clear but not the memory used.

Ram usage is fine to a point but it also interferes and actually the program slows if too much is used 9 or 10 gig, say.
I am talking about my machine:
i7 intel, windows 10 pro, 18 gig memory

Install this gadget if you want and track it in real time yourselves. Up to you.
http://gadgetsrevived.com/2347/

btw, is this a browser or a cult?

How many tabs do you have open?

I'm on Win7x64 Enterprise running Mx 5.1.6.200 and Firefox 59.0a1 simultaneously.  I'm monitoring memory with TaskManager.

Each browser has about 500-600 Mrgs spread over multiple "instances; Firefox has 7 and Maxthon has 10 "instances" in TaskManager.  Each has on the order of 0.5 Gig total.   On Firefox there are 2 tabs one playing a video silently; on Maxthonn 2 two tabs open one playing the same video with audio and this tab..

I did see one instance close down in Maxthon and the memory appears to be cleared (~32M in that case).

I decided to confirm how much memory is used by the system vs. the browser.  I exited Windows and logged back in: 4 Gigs used by the system.

Launch Maxthon and open the video tab and this one: 4.69 Gigs.  Shut down the browser: immediately memory drops to 3,94 Gig (~4 G).

I can't say much about Win10 behavior ...

<<SL>>

On 1/20/2018 at 11:00 PM, 7twenty said:

Thats is not the point, the Point is when we download New Version and compare with the previous versions the performance degradation

Shows the  Marked change, then only we complain as to some thing happened while coding this which needs to be rectified and needs a relook.

Even if it is working fine in your case, the difference might have happened in our case. This version is not stable...

On 1/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, rick.lane said:

What version did you upgrade from and how/where did you install the new version 5.1.5.2000?

I upgraded from whatever the latest prior verson was (which actually worked, by the way....I should have stayed with it).  I upgraded via the notification that popped up saying there was a new version available.

As an FYI, the only place I've noticed issues is on Amazon and Facebook.  With Facebook, the Maxthon screen randomly goes blank as you scroll up and down and you have to keep scrolling up and down to get it back.  With Amazon, the problem is as I described originally....stay on Amazon for 10 minutes searching for things, and all hell starts breaking loose.

6 hours ago, gregl7 said:

With Facebook, the Maxthon screen randomly goes blank as you scroll up and down and you have to keep scrolling up and down to get it back.

That's a known issue. Should be fixed with the next core update, supposedly coming soon...

Can't recreate the Amazon.com issue on my end.

Archived