Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MartinM

pc issue ABP custom filters lost after upgrade to V.5.1.3.2000

7 posts in this topic

Hi

After upgrading to version 5.1.3.2000 I discovered that I lost my AdBlock Plus custom added filters like EasyPrivacy. I added some custom filter lists to ABP since I haven't found anything better than AdBlock Plus for Maxthon. In Opera I'm using PrivacyBadger, uBlock Origin and Adguard AdBlocker on top of its very good built-in ad blocker.

Can something be done about this or do I always need to reconfigure ABP when I upgrade?

Thanks for any help
Martin

PS: since I don't remember the exact list of custom lists I had before the upgrade, please tell me if there are better filter lists than those listed on https://easylist.to/ , which I'm using now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried these but I don't seem to be able to add them to Maxthon's ABP. I get a Windows popup that refers to the Windows App Store when I click on the Subscribe link. The copied link is invalid for ABP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you have to manually add the link. MX doesn't support the abp:// protocol to import it directly.

In the add your own filters > filter list location, use the link https://easylist.to/easylist/easylist.txt for easylist.

Although, i'm not sure why you lost them in the first place. They should all be imported over with favourites/passwords etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only EasyList was there. The ones I added myself were gone.

In "add your own filters" I can only add individual links according to ABP's syntax.

I use "Filter Lists" -> "Add filter subscription" -> "Add your own filters", but your hint about the abp:// protocol is correct.

The links I get on https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions have a format like "abp:subscribe?location=https%3A//easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/malwaredomains_full.txt&title=Malware%20Domains".

Stripping "abp:subscribe?location=" isn't sufficient. "&title=Malware%20Domains" must be stripped as well. To make things worse, the link is URI/Percent encoded. It's the first time I see that perfectly legal, reserved URI characters like  ":", "=", and "?" are encoded.

A full conversion table can be found on http://www.degraeve.com/reference/urlencoding.php but it's easier to use a website like https://www.urldecoder.org/.

After taking all these hurdles the resulting and valid ABP link becomes like this:
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/malwaredomains_full.txt.

My conclusion is that it isn't easy to add malware/tracking blocking link lists coming from ABP's adblockplus.org website.

I've now added EasyPrivacy, Fanboy's Annoyance List, Fanboy's Social Blocking List, EasyList for my specific country, Adware filters, Malwaredomains full, Peter Lowe's list, Adblock Warning Removal List, and a new one: NoCoin (blocks coin miners which are quickly becoming another pest category).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MartinM said:

After taking all these hurdles the resulting and valid ABP link becomes like this:
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/malwaredomains_full.txt.

You can do it the easy way by following the "homepage" link for the filter on the ABP page, then copying the "View EasyList/Easy privacy" etc link from the easylist.to page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct. That's probably what I did before I tried those Subscribe links recommended by Magdalene. See my first post in this thread.

EDIT: As far as I can see and remember, the (domain) filters I had defined (using ABP filter syntax) in the category "Add your own filters" were transferred to the new version of Maxthon. Only the filter lists were missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites