Request: handle many tabs better

1.In case of too many tabs, allow to scroll between them, instead of the "+" button that allows to go between them.
Another alternative should be to have multi-line tabs.

2. Allow to load the tabs that are opened in the background, only when the user goes to it. This can help with opening many tabs from the current one.

3. Allow to have the locked tabs, as small ones, like the pinned tabs on other web browsers.

57 minutes ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

1.In case of too many tabs, allow to scroll between them, instead of the "+" button that allows to go between them.

I would prefer to group them, either by domain, or as the user wishes. The Opera browser at least in old versions allowed it, and it was very much like when you had many tabs.

1 hour ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

3. Allow to have the locked tabs, as small ones, like the pinned tabs on other web browsers.

If you mean that when a tab is fixed, it is shortened in width, yes, the truth would be fine :) 

8 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

I believe I'd prefer that, too — a la moving through worksheets in Microsoft Excel, for example.

11 hours ago, pantantrollo said:

I would prefer to group them, either by domain, or as the user wishes. The Opera browser at least in old versions allowed it, and it was very much like when you had many tabs.

If you mean that when a tab is fixed, it is shortened in width, yes, the truth would be fine :) 

Grouping by domain can be cool too, but again, you will still have to deal with the case of a lot of tabs, in case each of them belong to a different domain.

About fixed tabs, just try it on Chrome. It's called "pin" there.

3 hours ago, Secret-HQ said:

I believe I'd prefer that, too — a la moving through worksheets in Microsoft Excel, for example.

I mean a bit more than that. You could scroll without a scroller, using the mouse wheel.

Try CentBrowser and open there mutliple tabs. You will see what I mean.

Here's a video showing how it's done there:

ice_video_20171209-111436.webm

In addition, in case there are too many tabs, an arrow button appears that upon clicking, shows all of the tabs, always in the exact order you are in, and marks the one you are currently in. The tabs don't change their order unless you do it on your own.

On 12/9/2017 at 4:17 AM, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

I mean a bit more than that. You could scroll without a scroller, using the mouse wheel.

Try CentBrowser and open there mutliple tabs. You will see what I mean.

Here's a video showing how it's done there:

ice_video_20171209-111436.webm

I see!  Very cool, but I think I'd prefer an arrow or something in the UI that I could hover over and use the mousewheel to scroll from there.  Or maybe make that an ability for Maxthon's existing "more" tab.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, Secret-HQ said:

I see!  Very cool, but I think I'd prefer an arrow or something in the UI that I could hover over and use the mousewheel to scroll from there.  Or maybe make that an ability for Maxthon's existing "more" tab.

There are many ways to handle this. You can have arrow buttons that will also indicate that you can scroll. Those will hide when you can't scroll.

You could also have ability to have much smaller tabs. 

The multi-line tabs and minimal sized tabs were features on older MX versions. No idea why they didn't come to MX on current versions.

5 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

The multi-line tabs and minimal sized tabs were features on older MX versions. No idea why they didn't come to MX on current versions.

If I had to guess, I'd say the multi-line tabs may have run into conflicts with page rendering because they made the dimensions of the Maxthon UI frame dynamic.

Digging your tab-management ideas!

5 hours ago, Secret-HQ said:

If I had to guess, I'd say the multi-line tabs may have run into conflicts with page rendering because they made the dimensions of the Maxthon UI frame dynamic.

Digging your tab-management ideas!

I remember the time that MX was much more customizable. I could drag buttons&toolbars anywhere. More and more features were coming. There was even a time (in beta version) that we could make a Flash content run faster, to speed it up, using the floar bar. The float bar usually could get real videos being saved into files, yet now it usually puts junk files to download . It also had a live extensions website. Now it's mostly dead or have some Chinese addons I can't understand what they are meant for. Ad hunter back then was more powerful, letting you choose what to remove, manually, including rules you could edit after adding them (first click on ad, then choose to edit the rule).

Now, not only we don't have the same customizability, but even though MX is based on Chrome engine, it doesn't have all the features Chrome has, including its addons. It's also not as smooth

Currently, the only reasons I still use MX are:
1. ability to save&restore passwords/forms easily, with hotkeys.

2. Nice screenshot tool.

3. split screen

4. Make videos detach, without closing current tab. 

5. It has 2 addons that still work, for removing ads : Clipper and noads . Sadly I don't think either of those is getting any updates.

6. Ability to switch core to IE, though I've barely used it in the past years, probably because finally all websites I visit work well.

7. Has good downloader UI, though I wish it didn't need to have a window of its own. Sadly it also doesn't manage default apps well, as when I choose to open some files, it opens them on MX, even though I already have apps to handle them (WebM video files, for example)

8. Good mouse gestures, including dragging stuff 

9. website alias, though I use only a few.

I think MX should go in the path of Cent Browser: have MX features on top of Chromium itself. 

4 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Now, not only we don't have the same customizability, but even though MX is based on Chrome engine, it doesn't have all the features Chrome has, including its addons. It's also not as smooth

True, and that is the biggest problem of Maxthon, the clipping of personalization (with respect to older versions), which is coupled with the fact that chrome extensions can not be used (which will fix some customization)

5 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

2. Nice screenshot tool.

Of the best that Maxthon has :-). Now other browsers are including it, (Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox etc), but ONLY for captures of the browser itself, not all the UI of the environment

Archived