Favorites Bar & Ad Block Plus?

Chim

I FINALLY threw caution to the wind and installed MX 5 (5.1.2.3000) after still having been holding out with Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 all this time.

Oooo --- kay!  So how do I get the Favorites Bar to display?  IS there one?  I took the liberty of removing the Favorites folder from MX5 and installing my ole Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites folder in the same location.  That certainly didn't get the Favorites Bar to display.  Is the Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites folder even compatible with MX5?  If not, how would I go about getting all my Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites set up in my MX5.  I already completely uninstalled my Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000.  So, performing some Favorites importing would probably be out of the question.

I sure wouldn't have to resort to manually recreating my entire Favorites collection like I did when I switched from Opera browser to Maxthon Cloud.  That would bite.

The other issue:  I haven't seen AdBlock Plus on MX5 as there was on Maxthon Cloud 4.  IS there AdBlock Plus or at least the similar function hidden somewhere in MX5 and I just haven't seen it?  How do I activate it?  Because since I have Dial Up Internet, I REALLY NEED --- DEPEND on AdBlock Plus to work.  Otherwise, if all the annoying ads display on any and all websites, download speed of anything gets slowed down wayyy significantly.

On 02/10/2017 at 0:11 PM, Chim said:

So how do I get the Favorites Bar to display?

Ctrl-B or using the menu as QIK5L said.

how would I go about getting all my Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites set up in my MX5.  

If you use a passport account, login and they will be imported. If not, you can use the import option in the menu to import them, depending on how they're saved. If neither of those are an option, find where ever you kept a backup of your maxthon favourites, copy them to %appdata%\Maxthon3\users\guest\favorites and MX5 will import them when you start it next.

IS there AdBlock Plus

Yes, QIK5L described above. Or check the "..." menu in the top right and make sure the icon hasn't been hidden. Click the + button to move it to the main toolbar.

I eventually figured out that the Favorites Bar WAS there ... where this weirdly-labeled folder was.  So, I kinda figured out what was going on with the Favorites.  However ... I still wasn't able to have success getting my ole Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 Favorites to display in the now present Favorites Bar.

QIK5L ... 7twenty, are y'all absolutely sure that the ole Maxthon Cloud 4.x Favorites Folder data is compatible with the MX5 Favorites Folder data?  I could be wrong, but I THINK that I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they were NOT compatible.  You know ... is in that we CANNOT just simply insert the ole Maxthon Cloud 4.x Favorites folder in the similarly corresponding location in MX5 and have it work correctly.

Because I have twice inserted my ole Maxthon Cloud 4.x Favorites backup folder into my MX5 location of:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Maxthon5\Users\guest\Favorite and it doesn't work.  My ole Favorites from Maxthon Cloud 4.x do not display.  Heck, I even performed an uninstall and reinstall of MX5 in between those 2 insertions of my Favorites backup folder.

I have given up and bit the bullet and started manually recreating my entire Favorites collection. :( I already have my Favorites Bar full.  Now I just have to create all the rest of the Favorites in folders.  I take it that MX5 does not have that perk like Maxthon Cloud 4.x whereby we just hovered over at the right side of the full Favorites Bar to quickly access the rest of the Favorites?  The best that I can figure out right now, I actually have to click on that Star in the toolbar in order to access the rest of the Favorites.

With your help, QIK5L ... 7twenty, I now have AdBlock Plus working.  The bad news is that apparently I did first encounter that same mysterious BS problem that I used to encounter with Maxthon Cloud 4.x whereby upon an install of a new version or a reinstall ... AdBlock Plus would mysteriously not work at first.  It would then later start working on its own whenever it felt like it.  Yeah, I encountered that problem with MX5 as well.  Everything was set correctly, but the ads were just not being blocked.  After the reinstall that I performed, I simply accessed my Blog and AdBlock Plus simply started working correctly on its own.

Anyway, it's working right now.  And once it's working, it stays working until another install / reinstall is performed for whatever reason.

Thanks, guys.

23 minutes ago, Chim said:

Because I have twice inserted my ole Maxthon Cloud 4.x Favorites backup folder into my MX5 location of:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Maxthon5\Users\guest\Favorite and it doesn't work.

That's what happens when instructions aren't followed exactly...

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

copy them to %appdata%\Maxthon3\users\guest\favorites and MX5 will import them when you start it next.

Although after some testing it seems data may not import automatically. You may have to manually run the import option in the menu. But so long as the files are in the old Maxthon3 folder they should be imported and updated to the MX5 format.

It's not that I just decided to up and ignore your info and not follow your instructions.  Here was my logic --- I had just finished thoroughly uninstalling Maxthon Cloud 4 and all its remnants with Wise Program Uninstaller and then cleaning up with CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Wise Care 365.  With all that and now MX5 in place, I figured there was no way there should be a "Maxthon3" anything in my system.  So, I figured that with that path that you provided, you were almost assuredly giving me the old Maxthon Cloud 4 path equivalent from your info stash ... and expecting me to use the MX5 equivalent.  So that's what I did, although I know NOW that that's not what you meant.

Anyway ... I already checked with Glary Utilities' detailed Search function and there were only 2 "Maxthon3" instances (folders) in my system and there was no path of "%appdata%\Maxthon3\users\guest\favorites" even close to being found.

I'll just stop wasting time and continue the arduous task of recreating my Favorites collection manually.  I've heard horror stories of importing / exporting anyway.  

Thanks anyway, 7twenty.

2 hours ago, Chim said:

I had just finished thoroughly uninstalling Maxthon Cloud 4 and all its remnants with Wise Program Uninstaller and then cleaning up with CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Wise Care 365.   I figured there was no way there should be a "Maxthon3" anything in my system.  

I'll just stop wasting time and continue the arduous task of recreating my Favorites collection manually.  I've heard horror stories of importing / exporting anyway.  

The only question I have is why did you take all of that time uninstalling Maxthon4? Maxthon 5 installs into a different folder and creates it's own data folder in the Roaming folder called Maxthon5. Maxthon4 used the Maxthon3 folder in the same Roaming folder location. And if you had a working passport account, there is no "horror stories" about importing and exporting your favorites; you sync your passport once MX5 is installed. MX4 and MX5 can both be installed on the same computer without interfering with each other and you can choose which one you want to use: they just can't be opened at the same time. 

11 hours ago, rick.lane said:

The only question I have is why did you take all of that time uninstalling Maxthon4?

I think there is a lot of confusion about how to do things properly, not just with Maxthon, but programs in general. Some state uninstall before upgrading, some say directly install over, some say update then restore userdata etc..

Even updating windows there's the format > fresh install vs ISO update vs use winupdate. I have only ever fully installed Windows 10 once. Since then all subsequent updates were using an ISO update or winupdate. While others still say that's "wrong"  and i have to format > fresh install because they feel that's the "proper" way of doing it.

And then you get users who are unsure, or think they know more than they actually do, so end up deleting or breaking something then wondering why things don't work. And that will always be the case, not everyone needs or wants to know the ins/outs of how things work. They just want them to work.

As much as it would be nice that everything just worked, it's not always the case.

---

In my view for MX:

Installer version:-
Using a Passport account - Install/update MX, login to your account and let it sync. You can delete the previous version before updating if desired, but it's not required.

Using a guest account - install/update MX. Maxthon should detect and import any guest account data. If you deleted the userdata folder you'll lose all your data if it wasn't saved elsewhere. If it's not in the default folder, then MX also won't be able to import it.

Portable version:-
Using a Passport account - same applies as with the installer version above. Just that the data is saved under the Maxthon/userdata folder.

Using a guest account - copy the previous versions userdata folder into the newly extracted versions userdata folder (this is what I use).

13 hours ago, Chim said:

It's not that I just decided to up and ignore your info and not follow your instructions.

Apologies if my response came off a little short. Just that there's been plenty of posts in the past where users skim over instructions, keep asking for help, then when they finally go back and do things properly the issue gets resolved.

This looked like a textbook example assuming that maxthon3 was supposed to be maxthon5.

I do appreciate the fact that you actually try and resolve the problem rather than expecting a 1 button fix as some users seem to.

11 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Before Upgrading versions make an HTML copy of your favorites. If necessary you can import that.

Excellent suggestion.

16 hours ago, Magdalene said:

Before Upgrading versions make an HTML copy of your favorites. If necessary you can import that.

Menu/Import/Export user data/Export Bookmarks.

So if I follow that path of instructions, that would simply make the HTML copy of my Favorites ... without touching my current install of MX5?  Right now I'm around halfway finished manually recreating my Favorites here on MX5.  I would hate to find out that that procedure in some way could possibly alter or destroy my current / NEW stash of Favorites.

Okay, then once that HTML copy of my Favorites has been created ... upon it being needed in the future, where exactly would it be placed for an importing process to work correctly?  Or would MX5 or any other browser for that matter find that HTML copy anywhere in C: Drive?

16 hours ago, rick.lane said:

The only question I have is why did you take all of that time uninstalling Maxthon4? Maxthon 5 installs into a different folder and creates it's own data folder in the Roaming folder called Maxthon5. Maxthon4 used the Maxthon3 folder in the same Roaming folder location. And if you had a working passport account, there is no "horror stories" about importing and exporting your favorites; you sync your passport once MX5 is installed. MX4 and MX5 can both be installed on the same computer without interfering with each other and you can choose which one you want to use: they just can't be opened at the same time. 

Well, I took all of that time to uninstall Maxthon 4 because any which way that I looked at it, it's been kicked to the curb.  Support for it, both from Maxthon itself and from here on the forums in general is now slim to none.  Like I had some issues with the new 4.9.5.1000 update and it was obvious that there was no interest in fixing them.  Then this past week my Maxthon Cloud 4 started displaying right in my face the message that my version of Maxthon was "very old and loading speed was slow and that I should upgrade."  Then I started experiencing some mysterious, suspicious glitches.  I know Maxthon would deny it, but I was convinced that Maxthon probably injected them on purpose so as to force holdouts like me to finally upgrade to the new version.

So with everything and everyone doing their best to bulldoze me into upgrading to MX5, I finally did.  So with that having happened and MX5 presumably being light years ahead / superior to Maxthon Cloud 4 ... why would I keep it around?  I do still have the Maxthon Cloud 4.9.4.2000 install file just in case I need to go back to it.  Otherwise, I figured the idea was to toss Maxthon Cloud 4 out the window as far as it being installed ... and never look back.

As to Maxthon 4 and MX5 installing into completely independent folders?  I tried MX5 back in its infancy and while I don't recall the specifics now, I vaguely recall encountering some issue that made me wonder if they were REALLY truly independently installed.  I've just never been a fan of multiple versions of software simultaneously installed.  Just like I have also never been a fan of installing newer versions of software over the old versions.  I've always preferred ripping out the old version by its roots before installing the new version.  But, that's just me.

As to going the Passport account and syncing route?  Nnnnggg, not for me.  I'm not a fan of Cloud anything, syncing anything.  I prefer to avoid registering, joining, signing in into anything if at all possible.  So like when I installed MX5, I naturally skipped the signing in option.

The Favorites are saved as an HTML file and can be saved anywhere. The path I gave earlier is wrong it should be

Menu/Tools/Import/Export user data/Export Bookmarks

Just follow the instructions.

To import go to the same path and import "HTML file"  select your saved HTML favorites file.

Alrighty then, Magdalene.  I quickly followed that path and appears easy enough to follow.  Once I finish recreating my Favorites, which should probably be sometime later this evening, I'll see about actually saving my just out of the oven, freshly-created Favorites to an HTML file.

Thanks, Magdalene. :)

And thanks everyone else also for chiming in with info. :5884970a7da3a_1:

Archived