Mx 5 and Flash Player MS Update

BGFun

Version 5.1.04000, I have plash Player 26 installed however when I run a check for Flash Player several sites show Flash Player V 24. I have copied the win system 32 Macromed flashplayer dll into Maxthon 5 after renaming the old dll but flash player checks always say it is 24. Microsoft released a Security Update for Flash Player earlier this month. This update brings all my browsers to a slow crawl. Uninstall the update and all runs smooth again. I have seen this happen on multiple machines.

So

1) why do the Flash Player checks always indicate 24 in MX 5 when v24 it isn't even installed"

2) is Flash Player really necessary? I am reading many articles saying Flash Player is slowly but surely going away and some browsers allow you to disable Flash Player

7 hours ago, BGFun said:

why do the Flash Player checks always indicate 24 in MX 5 when v24 it isn't even installed"

Because that is the version that MX5 still comes with. It's separate to the version that is downloaded and installed via the adobe installer.

7 hours ago, BGFun said:

is Flash Player really necessary?

No, not really. What you read is correct. But it depends on what sites you visit and if they need them. In time it will disappear, but until then some sites are sticking with it. So if no sites you use need it, then don't install it.

7 hours ago, BGFun said:

Microsoft released a Security Update for Flash Player earlier this month.

I'm pretty sure that is only for Edge. Doesn't affect the main flash install for any other browsers.

7 hours ago, BGFun said:

Version 5.1.04000, I have plash Player 26 installed however when I run a check for Flash Player several sites show Flash Player V 24. I have copied the win system 32 Macromed flashplayer dll into Maxthon 5 after renaming the old dll but flash player checks always say it is 24.

Either you're doing it wrong, wrong file, or there's something else going on. I'd recommend using the MX Flash updater program linked in the flash and maxthon thread. Makes it much easier.

I uninstalled Flash Player, Windows updated the Security Update for Flash Player and MX 5, Edge and Opera run smoothly now. I will try the MX updater and see what happens. If the issue comes back. I am just going to run without it.

11 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Because that is the version that MX5 still comes with. It's separate to the version that is downloaded and installed via the adobe installer.

No, not really. What you read is correct. But it depends on what sites you visit and if they need them. In time it will disappear, but until then some sites are sticking with it. So if no sites you use need it, then don't install it.

I'm pretty sure that is only for Edge. Doesn't affect the main flash install for any other browsers.

Either you're doing it wrong, wrong file, or there's something else going on. I'd recommend using the MX Flash updater program linked in the flash and maxthon thread. Makes it much easier.

54 minutes ago, BGFun said:

If the issue comes back. I am just going to run without it.

I do not install flash player on the system. I'm downloading "NPAPI" NPSWF32 xx.x.x.xxx (Mx4), "PPAPI" pepflash xx.x.x.xxx (Mx5) files from this site Adobe Flash Player Portable and I'm replacing older ones.

An example with a new version:

Mx4: I copy NPSWF32_27_0_0_130.dll and plugin.vch (this replaces) files to the folder Maxthon\Core\Webkit\Npplugins and I delete the older .dll file

Mx5: I rename the pepflashplayer32_27_0_0_130.dll file to pepflashplayer.dll and I replace the older file in Maxthon\Core\plugins

Everything works flawlessly :)

Archived