MX 5.1.1.1000+, video problems

SirNasso

Hi guys,

Since updating to versions 5.1.1.1000 or 5.1.2.100-beta a problem appeared.
In ultra mode no video or gif can be played in youtbe,facebook or similar sites.When I try to start a video the sound is playing fine,but instead of video there is only black screen.I tried reinstalling Maxthon but no luck.
In Retro mode everything is normal.On version 5.1.0.4000 it's working fine.The problem appeared only in later versions.

Same problem with videos and GIFs since last stable version. I can't use Youtube, Twitch, Facebook, and other similar pages. Very annoying. Only audio :(

Some screenshots:
(you can see the encoding on Youtube. strange thing that vp9 / opus encoded videos are working)

merr_facebook.jpg

merr_twitch.jpg

merr_youtube.jpg

15 hours ago, SirNasso said:

So there must be something changed from 5.1.0 to 5.1.1 that causes this to happen.

Fair assumption, but i had no issues with 5.1.0 and the same with 5.1.1. Based on that there is no issue.

As above:

16 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Please go through the points in this thread and see what you come up with: 

Hey All.. I can confirm that this issue is caused by the Youtube Center extension. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and returned home today so I still had MX 5.1.1.300 and Youtube would give me a white screen when opening a video in ultra mode. I upgraded to 5.1.2.200 and same issue. I deleted the YT Center extension and it works fine.

Can confirm.  For me it affects most video, gif, and gifv files that are not from youtube.  Youtube functions fine.  I do not have the YTC extension installed.  I can confirm this happens with both 5.1.1 and 5.1.2.  Most noticeably, content hosted on Reddit and Imgur are heavily affected by this.

Capture.png

1/ links to videos/images that show the problem is handy for others to test. Even if it "affects all videos", a link or three makes it easier for others to check and confirm the issue. And it makes it easier to test against as we're all looking at the same media.

2/ please post the console info from developer tools (F12 > console tab)

I found the reddit post above and i have no issue with the gif playing. MX5.1.2.100

1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

1/ links to videos/images that show the problem is handy for others to test. Even if it "affects all videos", a link or three makes it easier for others to check and confirm the issue. And it makes it easier to test against as we're all looking at the same media.

2/ please post the console info from developer tools (F12 > console tab)

I found the reddit post above and i have no issue with the gif playing. MX5.1.2.100

The one I posted earlier actually works if I click through to the image, rather than just expanding it in the preview.  I found another one that doesn't work in either.

When embedded in the comments page there is a lot of red on the dev console, but when the image is opened in a separate tab by itself there is none. https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/6yujjr/carrot_harvester/

Capture.png

Capture2.png

3.png

1 hour ago, Mo88 said:

Could it be due to other extensions? I'm not having any issues with any gifs or videos either... facebook videos work fine, reddit, etc.

carrot 1.jpg

carrot.jpg

The only one I have installed and enabled is ABP, and disabling that doesn't solve the problem.  I also verified that the videos/gifs work in other browsers, so it's not blocked traffic (I have a pi-hole on my network).  Prior to upgrading to stable 5.1.1.1000, I did not have this problem. Further upgrading to the beta release 5.1.2.100 did not solve it.

5 hours ago, WhiteRaven22 said:

When embedded in the comments page there is a lot of red on the dev console,

Looking at that, it's related to the google certificate issues that some users are having.

2 hours ago, Mo88 said:

Could it be due to other extensions?

No. See above.

9 hours ago, WhiteRaven22 said:

I found another supporting piece of evidence for that theory.  The active map section of Google Maps also blanks after flashing the map for a split second.

I can't confirm that though I might have seen something similar but not total failure.

I went to Actve Maps link for the USA.  The map (sattelie view) displayed properly immediately.  Then I tried to move it with my touch screen and it went to total white-out.  A Refresh cleared that and then I could move it as desired.  The only other effect I noticed was a white -out area left behind for a moment when the map was moved beyond the bounds of the current image(s) displayed.  It persisted until the new images were painted in, so this is normal but canvary in duration depending on your connection speed and link congestion.

I did not see black-out as you did from your screenshot.

Maxthon version 5.1.2.100.  Win7-64bit Enterprise.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

I did not see black-out as you did from your screenshot

Yeah, it's a case of either you have the issue or you don't.

Out of the users that have had issues it seems so far it's Europe that is having the issue. No one out of USA or AU that I can see yet, not sure about Asia. So leads me back to it being a regional problem.

7 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Yeah, it's a case of either you have the issue or you don't.

Out of the users that have had issues it seems so far it's Europe that is having the issue. No one out of USA or AU that I can see yet, not sure about Asia. So leads me back to it being a regional problem.

Actually, I'm in the U.S.

12 hours ago, WhiteRaven22 said:

Most of the videos affected by this (I've started noticing a few on youtube that ARE affected, contrary to my earlier claim) still have sound, but no picture.  I couldn't find the one I ran across on youtube earlier, but every video on weather.com does this.

I can hear the audio but see this:

Turn off ABP, weather.com works without issue.

WEAT.png

Tried the clean instal and nothing changed.Then I read that you mentioned updateing the video driver.And to my surprise Geforce experience software forgot to alert me that there is new one availabel.After updateing it everything works normaly.So consider the solution found - update to latest video (Nvidia???) driver.

8 hours ago, 7twenty said:

This is really odd. Curious to know how/why a driver update would fix it considering that other browsers were working ok.

Good to see a fix was found though.

That was strange to me too.Given that the older MX5 worked fine.What is even stranger is that so far that problem is with Nvidia drivers,haven't seen anyone with ATI/AMD gpu having this problem.And to make things even weirder I tried this on the office pc wich is also with Nvidia gpu (though a lot older that the one at home),and everythings works as it should.
Anyway glad that the problem is solved too.

Archived