Is it possible to try MX5 and then go back to MX4?

I am a user of Maxthon since MyIE. I am (supposedly) using the latest MX4 version (4.9.5.1000, why is it so hard to find a changelog nowadays? You have to google the information instead of just browsing the official website).

Anyway, I would like to try MX5 with my Maxthon Passport but I'm affraid that once all the information in my account is loaded into MX5 I wont be able to go back to MX4.

I already donwloaded MX5 Portable and used it for a while as Guest... but it's like when I use Chrome: it is sooo empty :p

That's why I would like to log in but I hesitate to do it yet.

3 hours ago, Ktulu789 said:

I already donwloaded MX5 Portable and used it for a while as Guest...

Use the same portable install and login to your account. Your MX4 data will be imported to MX5.

I'm not 100% certain, but i think the MX5 data is separate to the MX4 data from that point on. So whatever changes you make in MX5 won't sync to MX4. Also any changes to MX4 will no longer sync to MX5 as the MX5 account is now used for MX5 only.

Some quick testing confirms that.

So you should be able to test MX5 as you want, then if you don't like it/doesn't work for you, you can go back to MX4 where you left off.

Thanks for your reply!

12 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I'm not 100% certain, but i think the MX5 data is separate to the MX4 data from that point on

Any way to confirm that? Forum post or otherwise which doesn't include creating a dummy account?

I would have done that in the beginning but then, what's the forum for, right? :D Hahaha

4 hours ago, Ktulu789 said:

Any way to confirm that? Forum post or otherwise which doesn't include creating a dummy account?

Well based on my testing it's the way it works. Import MX4 to MX5. Removed some QA tiles from MX4, Start MX5 and the removed tiles are still showing. Based on that test it seems like the data is now unique to MX5.

Haven't tested with other things like passwords etc. but i can't imagine it would be different.

Archived