Web of Trust

vljenewein

On Firefox and Internet Explorer I have an add on called Web Of Trust. Basically it is green if it is a good site and red for not very good for trustworthy. Orange is in the middle. Nice add on app, and wondered if it might be available for Maxthon in the near future? It's available for Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera and others.

odyssee replied at 2013-5-25 11:38 back.gif

Maxthon has an inbuilt "web of trust"

here you can see a green shield

That is just Certificate, what he mean is WOT ratings are powered by millions of users who rate websites based on their experiences. - Not a certificate option

You don't need an addon, you can do a search from WOT.surfacecanyon.com or Qrobe.it, both will show WOT rating although you need to hover the result in Qrobe.it. WOT icon can also be added to duckduckgo.com in settings.

post-7385961-14315110259143_thumb.jpg

post-7385961-14315110259682_thumb.jpg

vljenewein replied at 2013-5-26 08:39 back.gif

What I thought was really nice about WOT (Web Of Trust) in both the IE8 and Firefox, is that when I ...

MyWOT is also overrated with a lot of people who post before they know the facts, or out of hate, or to destroy rival businesses, etc. It's a good source when you're not sure, because it's better to be safe than sorry, but there are many, many false positives by most of its user-population, and much of it is opinion-based, rather than about actual safety and whether or not the site in question is malicious or not.

I'd suggest changing your DNS servers to OpenDNS, primary: 208.67.222.220, and secondary: 208.67.220.222 (yes, on the main page, it shows 220.220 and 222.222, but these ones I've suggested are also available for use and hosted by OpenDNS) - it blocks malware, and filters a lot of malicious sites. It also allows custom blocking, and a lot of protection measures for dns attacks.

I also might suggest, as joemax says, DuckDuckGo. Try adding THIS search URL to your search bar:https://www.duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&?kp=-1&kn=1&kad=en_US&kl=us-en&kf=w&kd=-1&kg=g&ks=m&kw=s&k2=-1&ko=1&k4=-1&ke=-1&kk=-1&kr=-1&kq=1&k1=-1&kv=1-- web of trust is already enabled, along with some other choices I've toggled. Unlike the main-page URL with parameters the settings panel gives you, this, when plugged into your search bar, will use the settings when you search, directly, rather than using the site as a favorite. It also doesn't need a cookie, because it uses the said url parameters.

cooltext.png

Archived