Backspace button not mappped to "Back" in M5.1.0.X

Starting with new 5.1.0.1400 version the Backspace button on keyboard is no longer mapped to "Back" function to return to previous web page.

It works for retro mode, but doesn't work for Ultra.

Same in both 5.1.0.1400 and 5.1.0.1700.

Hmmm, what an odd change?

The fact that (shift +) backspace has been a long universal (forward) back key that works across all browsers means it should be the default, and have the alt+left/right as an option.

Although I don't disagree with the change. Sort of makes sense having the left/right keys as back/forward.

Thankfully backspace can easily be added if that's what you want. Although i'm sure a few people might start wondering why it no longer works.

Assuming it's a known change it's something that should be mentioned in the changelog. Users shouldn't have to question why changes like this happened or whether it's a bug.

9 hours ago, 7twenty said:

The fact that (shift +) backspace has been a long universal (forward) back key that works across all browsers

Hi Rob, does shift+backspace have the same effect as alt+left? I tried on Chrome, alt+left works while shift+backspace doesn't work. Or backspace only?

5 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Hi Rob, does shift+backspace have the same effect as alt+left? I tried on Chrome, alt+left works while shift+backspace doesn't work. Or backspace only?

Shift + Backspace is forward, same as Alt + Right

Although i see what's going on how. It seems Chrome has removed backspace as the back command. When you press backspace in Chrome you get a notification to use Alt + Left. It seems some browsers (at least chromium related ones?) are moving to use alt + direction instead of the long used backspace key. It seems that Maxthon has jumped onto that bandwagon as well.

Tested in Chrome/Opera. Both use alt + directions.
Edge and firefox still use backspace. Although I wouldn't be surprised if that changes at some stage.

Archived