Unwanted games on desktop !

A couple of days ago, I detected two icons of games, I have never installed, on my desktop. Checking where they refer to, I see they are linked to Maxthon Browser. I deleted both icons and today they are here again. Can anybody help to prevent this, that Maxthon browser installs games or other software, I do not want at all ???
If this cannot be prevented, I will for sure, move to a different browser. 

Bruno

10 hours ago, tatankamani said:

Checking where they refer to, I see they are linked to Maxthon Browser. I deleted both icons and today they are here again.

How are you sure they're from Maxthon? Can you provide more info/images of what the games actually are?

15 hours ago, tatankamani said:

A couple of days ago, I detected two icons of games, I have never installed, on my desktop. Checking where they refer to, I see they are linked to Maxthon Browser. I deleted both icons and today they are here again. Can anybody help to prevent this, that Maxthon browser installs games or other software, I do not want at all ???
If this cannot be prevented, I will for sure, move to a different browser. 

Bruno

Which version are you using?

Can you upload the installer that you used to install your version of maxthon? And where did you get it from?

Definitely doesn't look good. But could be whatever was used to add the shortcuts automatically inserts shortcuts to the default browser.

@tatankamani:  Out of curiosity, do you use the Maxthon home page (http://i.maxthon.com/) that comes preinstalled with Maxthon?

On Sunday night, the night before you posted, my wife had a string of attempted infections when visiting the Maxthon home page.  They were blocked by her anti-malware program, and she cleaned them immediately.  (Unfortunately, we were both on the run, and I didn't get to write down the name of the threat detected.)  I'd guess they were rogue ads served through the AdChoice network, but that's pure speculation.  We haven't encountered the issue again and your post is the first I've noticed here that may be related.

Have you deleted your temporary and cache files in Maxthon?  If not, be sure to hit CTRL+SHIFT+DEL in Maxthon and delete those, shutting down Maxthon afterward and restarting the computer to be sure you remove any trace of malicious scripting that may have slipped into those locations.  I'd also recommend running a full malware scan.  TrendMicro's Housecall may be a good place to start if you don't have or don't trust the anti-malware installed on your computer.  (If something slipped by, it may be hidden from the local anti-virus software, which is why I suggest running an online scan, too.)

@7twenty: I was running Maxthon 4 for a couple of years already. Maxthon 5 installation was initiated by Maxthon 4, anytime last year. I am sure that the Maxthon 5 installer was clean.

@Secret-HQ: I am using the Maxthon Home Page as default Home Page. I cleaned cache files etc. as per CTRL+SHIFT+DEL. Additionally TrendMicro did not detect any threat.

Thank you for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived