MX4 cache file "MX *.TMP" to manage or limit?

Hello,
Can I manage or limit the MX * .TMP files that are created in the disk cache?
After a few hours it's easy to get hundreds of files with hundreds of MBs and the only way is to close Maxthon4.

Thanks and good job.
(I'm sorry for my english)

Unfortunately, it's a big deal, and it looks a lot when I see or listen to Youtube videos.

I work with more than 10 pages open at the same time but when I try to go back to the previously open pages Maxthon becomes very very slow ..

The thing is better if I use the SESSION windows (in the cache they create the "Session" and then "1", "2" folders).

If I go to see MX * .TMP files are all small by 1,300 KB but are hundreds and they easily exceed 500 MB.

Quitting Maxthon I have to do it many times but it is not the best solution, then I have to reopen the many open pages previously.

And sometimes Maxthon does not want to close and to force I created this BATCH.

@ECHO OFF

SET EXE=MAXTHON
SET VER=4

CLS

ECHO,
ECHO  PROCESS "%EXE%" AND %EXE%%VER%
TASKLIST | FIND /I "%EXE%"

ECHO,
ECHO  KILL "%EXE%" AND %EXE%%VER%
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%.EXE
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%%VER%.EXE
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%%VER%-PORTABLE.EXE

ECHO,
ECHO  KILL "%EXE%" AND %EXE%%VER%
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%.EXE
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%%VER%.EXE
TASKKILL /f /im %EXE%%VER%-PORTABLE.EXE

ECHO,
ECHO  PROCESS "%EXE%" AND %EXE%%VER%
TASKLIST | FIND /I "%EXE%"

PAUSE

Thanks and good job.
(I'm sorry for my english)

On 4/27/2017 at 1:44 AM, sussani said:

If I go to see MX * .TMP files are all small by 1,300 KB but are hundreds and they easily exceed 500 MB.

Wow, that frightened me, could you tell me where to check the TMP files? I want to check mine.

2 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

all of these?

all together less than 1mb. :Flushed_Face_Emoji_42x42:

52 minutes ago, Galileusz said:

But he had in mind Maxthon 4 :D

That's the wrong location for M5 temp, you can actually find it here C:\Users\"Your account"\AppData\Local\Temp\Maxthon3Cache\Temp\Webkit\Cache

It is considerably larger(420MB in my case) than the temp folder in Maxthon directory.

I know it says M3 folder but the dates show recent M5 activity\ and I haven't used M3 in years.

Edit: And clearing M5 cache also clears this folder, so ya...

m5cac.png

37 minutes ago, PHYR said:

That's the wrong location for M5 temp, you can actually find it here C:\Users\"Your account"\AppData\Local\Temp\Maxthon3Cache\Temp\Webkit\Cache

I know where are the mx5 temp files, but sussani had in mind MX * .tmp files created by mx4 in the location that I wrote above.

To find the folder location with MX * .TMP files, open " Command Prompt" (to run CMD.EXE fast) and write:

- for all settings
SET

- only folder position
ECHO %TEMP%
or
ECHO %TMP%

Please note that MX * .TMP files are created when many windows are opened or by viewing Youtube or other media.

My example of work after 2 hours without any video with open and closed more than 40 links in as many TABs:
114 MX * .TMP files
136 MB total

And they continue to grow and unfortunately remain until Maxthon4 closure because cleaning the cache does not touch MX * .TMP files.

Bye.

7 hours ago, sussani said:

114 MX * .TMP files
136 MB total

And they continue to grow and unfortunately remain until Maxthon4 closure because cleaning the cache does not touch MX * .TMP files.

As I stated above, this is normal and the size isn't a huge amount, even getting up to 500+mb. Given we have HDD's that are measured in GB it's pointless micromanaging this.

On 27/4/2017 at 3:44 AM, sussani said:

I work with more than 10 pages open at the same time but when I try to go back to the previously open pages Maxthon becomes very very slow ..

I just had a look at my temp folder and while there was some data that looks like it was old (~300mb), it's not something that can say 100% how much/if Maxthon is affected by it.

I generally have 20+ pages open and lately there's been a lot of video watching and only 150mb are still in use. 

If  you want to clean the temp folder on each start/close of MX then sure, go ahead. But apart from saving some disk space and a few file entries, I can't see how it will affect the running of MX.

At the end of the day, they're there for a reason. If MX doesn't need them then it should delete them, if not.. it's a few mb lost.

The reason for the problem is that at work I use a computer that has been around for a few years, with limited space and who knows when and if it will be changed.

Today, to watch some videos, I saturate the cache space in a short time.

I use Maxthon every day for many years still from version 2,
I went fast to version 3 (my favorite),
Slow to version 4 that had limited skin and problems with dragging URLs,
I doubt I will pass to version 5 if the problem remains.

Strangely enough, the problem is quite recent and has become apparent since version 4.4,
And I still hold it as a "portable" backup.

It seems odd to me that a recent browser (with all TAB closed links and only the empty initial window) keeps open hundreds of files.
And it is not even possible to unlock software such as Unlocker or the like.

But are there no other solutions that close (or kill in some cases) the browser?

Thanks and good job.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:34 AM, sussani said:

Strangely enough, the problem is quite recent and has become apparent since version 4.4,
And I still hold it as a "portable" backup.

Maxthon had released a new version for Maxthon4 a few months ago, in that version, many bugs are fixed and with enhanced stability and speed. Maybe you can download a portable version and have a try on that computer.

Here is the release note where you can download it: 

Okay, thanks for the notice.

Unfortunately I am already using the latest version 4.9.4.3000 installed.
I've always updated MX4 to minus versions to get any improvements.

What I meant and that, in an emergency, I also have an older version of 4.4.8 Portable because it
seems to me that you create less MX * .TMP files (but it's just a feeling of use).

I'm sorry for MX3, I always use the skin with the alternate layout with BUTTOM + URL +
EXTENSION, then LINK, and over the page many TABs.

But apart from the reported problem, I'm so used to and happy to use MX for so many years that
thinking of switching to another browser (Chrome or Firefox or ...) disgusts me and I hope I do not
have to.

On other computers the first thing I add is a portable version.

And unfortunately I'm also sorry with the comparison with other PC browsers, once it was better ...

http://html5test.com/compare/browser/mybrowser/chrome-57/firefox-53/edge-15.html

439 - My browser (MX 4.9.4.3000)
519 - Chrome 57
474 - Firefox 53
473 - Edge 15

http://www.speed-battle.com/

Archived