Changing to MX5

Was putting off the move to mx5 for quite some time because I tried it first on the work computer and didn't like losing some settings in the process.

Despite the memory leaks in mx4, it was still good enough for me. Used it one a single computer with a guest account (no MX sync) if that's important.

This morning, however, I missed the version number in an update prompt and accidentally upgraded.

It offered to import all mx4 settings, but it only worked for bookmarks and passwords. Search engines, history, last session weren't even in the dialog where you can check and uncheck what you want to import.

So I lost all those + Stylish settings (quite extensive). Was able to find last session urls in a text file in the profile folder, fortunately, but all browsing history is in .dat files, apparently, so it's as good as gone for the time being.

Quick links from the new tab page are also nowhere to be seen.

And my question is: is this an improved user experience I was missing out on?

How do I unimprove it and recover my data?

Hi there, are you using a Maxthon passport to login? Or are you always using a guest account?

If you have a Maxthon passport, then all the data (bookmarks, passwords, quick links) should all be imported automatically. 

As for the history and last session, Maxthon still doesn't support to import technically. 

Like I said, used with guest account, so none of this information is in the cloud. When my browser updates itself (it's not uninstall/install a product from a different vendor situation, right?) I expect to keep the information relevant to my browsing experience, not lose it instantly.

If history and last session can't be imported (why, by the way? MX5 knows where MX4 profile is and can be taught to read the .dat files), don't you think it's worth mentioning to the user before applying the upgrade?

same about extension settings (it is weird that you can't transfer Stylish settings automatically as the extension itself is there in MX5 without me having to install it again)

47 minutes ago, bobruto said:

If history and last session can't be imported (why, by the way? MX5 knows where MX4 profile is and can be taught to read the .dat files), don't you think it's worth mentioning to the user before applying the upgrade?

Yes, you are right, we should remind users about this before they start the upgrading process. 

For a guest account, Maxthon currently only supports importing these user data:

QQ截图20170420164650.png

Your MX4 userdata should be in %appdata%\maxthon3. If you reinstall MX4 it should all be exactly as you left it.

You can have both versions installed, just can't run both at the same time.

As far as data that gets imported. I'm pretty sure when testing before doing my move to MX5, most data inc history and last session, searches etc were all imported. ALthough will need to follow that up to confirm. I'm using and testing with a protable version.. although that shouldn't make that much of a differenc.e

Archived