Why I don't like the Maxthon official site...

Why I don't like the Maxthon official site...

Doesn't show screenshots of Maxthon 5.  Doesn't list powerful features.  Only advertises "spyware" cloud services.  Very disappointing.  No longer a powerful browser like old Maxthon 2.  Vivaldi browser will now beat Maxthon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Maxthon official site, we are considering to redesign it these days, and I've forwarded your voice to the manager who's in charge of the official website. Please do not hesitate to tell us more your opinions on it, any kind of suggestions are ok, like structure, color, content, etc. 

Yes, that site.  I was going to fill out the site popup that ask our opinion.  But that popup didn't allow me to write very much.  So I posted my feedback here.

Here is my further opinion.  Back in the glory days of Maxthon 1 and 2, the Maxthon website frontpage showed screenshots and bragged about a list of many powerful features that save the user time and effort.  That kind of presentation quickly showed people what made Maxthon a superior browser, and was what attracted many power users to Maxthon.  But Maxthon 3 and 4 was simplified and dumbed down alot, which was a total disapointment that did not live up to the expectations and standards set by Maxthon 1 and 2.  There was even the experimental Maxthon Nitro browser, which was so simple and featureless that it was just a joke.  Now there is Maxthon 5, and I'm worried Maxthon development progress is too slow and is still missing many features that made Maxthon 1 and 2 great.  And there is also now competition from Vivaldi browser, which is the main competitor to Maxthon to be the best powerful browser.  In order for Maxthon to be the best again, it needs to return to the thinking, attitude, and direction that made Maxthon 1 and 2 great.  As a savvy power user, I dislike the "spyware" data collection cloud services, and I won't use them.  Maxthon should instead focus again on adding many powerful features that save the user time and effort while browsing.  And give users more options to customize.  Otherwise in the future, Vivaldi will eventually have enough features to totally replace Maxthon as a powerful browser of choice for power users.

If you still have a copy of the old Maxthon 1 and 2 sites, you should refer to it for inspiration.  They were the perfect example of what the spirit of Maxthon should be.

1 hour ago, ghost z said:

As a savvy power user, I dislike the "spyware" data collection cloud services, and I won't use them.  Maxthon should instead focus again on adding many powerful features that save the user time and effort while browsing.  And give users more options to customize.  Otherwise in the future, Vivaldi will eventually have enough features to totally replace Maxthon as a powerful browser of choice for power users.

If you still have a copy of the old Maxthon 1 and 2 sites, you should refer to it for inspiration.  They were the perfect example of what the spirit of Maxthon should be.

Your so called "spyware" is what attracts many people by making it extremely easy and efficient across multiple platforms. 

And surely as a savvy power user you know that data collection and cloud services  are two totally different things.

29 minutes ago, PHYR said:

Your so called "spyware" is what attracts many people by making it extremely easy and efficient across multiple platforms.

And surely as a savvy power user you know that data collection and cloud services  are two totally different things.

of course they have to offer benefits to give you incentive to use it.  but they are also collecting your private personal info.

8 minutes ago, ghost z said:

of course they have to offer benefits to give you incentive to use it.  but they are also collecting your private personal info.

And Chrome and all of its clones aren't collecting your "private information"?  If you believe that you have been drinking too much of their kool-ade.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

7 hours ago, ghost z said:

if you want full intimacy on internet just go and use Tor and stop complaining here about some non-sense, just wanting to troll or flame. 
BTW calling yourself "savvy power user" is cringe af, you probably have a collection of fedoras.

8 hours ago, ghost z said:

They "collect" your private info so that it can be of use to you, not them. How else are you supposed to use passkeeper across platforms? Or any of the other features? I don't think your assessment is of any value.

12 hours ago, ghost z said:

Go checkout the old Maxthon sites using archive.org if you want.

While I somewhat agree that the amount of info of MX's features are lacking on the site, they won't be going back to that style of site that bombards you with info. Now it's all about clean and minimalist styles.

Although I'd like to see an extra link at the bottom or somewhere that does then have a list of all the other built-in features (themes, gestures,aliases etc.). But with that said, much of what made MX unique back in the MX1/2 days is no longer the case. Every browser these days offers most if not all of what MX5 offers. Some doing it better as well.

12 hours ago, ghost z said:

Otherwise in the future, Vivaldi will eventually have enough features to totally replace Maxthon as a powerful browser of choice for power users.

I think Vivaldi was there long before now. Just the UI customisation alone trumps MX. Not to mention all the advanced settings via vivaldi:flags which for whatever reason the Maxthon devs still won't offer to their users, doesn't auto-disable flash and enable by click and more that I can't think of right now.

In all honesty, MX5 is by far the least power-user friendly browser out there. It's more aimed at users that just want a basic browser that does what it's supposed to do. But if you want real control of your browser Vivaldi and even Chrome are better options.

if maxthon 5 is just going to be another basic browser, then it is really not worthy of the name maxthon anymore.  that "max" part of the name is supposed to stand for powerful features.  perhaps they should change the name to minthon instead.

5 hours ago, Chantao said:

Of course, I know "apprentice mage" that you want to provoke here, because you have no idea. Actually, it would have to be named "Galaxthon". And because I'm wise this is my last posting on the subject.

Actually, Ghost z has been a member as long as anyone else, probably longer than most, including me.

Well, then do I understand the comments as irony? Satire ? Or does the "professional title" (forum rank) not? Oops, now I have written again in this thread. You must admit, everything is very confusing. (quote: "Minthen" but Goodminthon, the game with Rackets and Balls hahahaha

20 minutes ago, Chantao said:

Or does the "professional title" (forum rank) not? 

This is the 4th or fifth forum for Maxthon and Ghostz has been a member of each, so his "apprentice mage" title reflects only his participation in this forum.

Just a comment about the forum status business. I have been here since 2004, was invited to become what was called a "core member" when MX2 was first released and have been "demoted" every time the forum software has been upgraded or changed. I believe I am still shown as an "apprentice mage", whatever that is supposed to mean. I guess I should have the status of at least a  "senior mage" but it really makes no difference to me as I'm not near as active as I once was and I can still be a part of the "Early Access Area" that enables me to see newer betas for testing before they are released to the general public and to add my observations. I don't pay much attention to the "status level" any more as most of the people I was working with in the past have moved on with the only constant being Jeff himself. Some others have now been here for awhile and have taken on the roles of moderators and are doing a pretty good job though one can see some loyalty waning in some of the members. I guess, as I have found in my own life, most things run their course and one has to move on.

if maxthon didn't turn into a disapointment starting with version 3, previous users wouldn't have moved on.  clearly maxthon has become less interesting when they decided to make it just another basic browser instead of a powerful one.

On Friday, April 07, 2017 at 6:24 AM, 7twenty said:

Is it that, or is it that the other browsers got better?

maxthon got worse relative to itself.  it got dumbed down a lot after maxthon 2, which i think is still the most powerful feature rich browser ever made--not even vivaldi 1.8 can match it yet.

Archived