Manually Navigating to URLs Saved in Favorites Crashes MX 5.0.3.900-3000 (PC)

Hi, all —

I've just noticed Maxthon 5.0.3.900 crashes on CarGurus.com.

Interestingly, the crash happens while entering the URL, before hitting the ENTER key — so perhaps there's some kind of pre-loading error?

Tested on different PCs (where .900 fails consistently) and on Android (where the site loads fine).

EDIT:  Here's a video demonstrating the bug and its likely cause.  I've also updated the title.  See post #7 for more details.

51 minutes ago, Secret-HQ said:

Hi, all —

I've just noticed Maxthon 5.0.3.900 crashes on CarGurus.com.

Interestingly, the crash happens while entering the URL, before hitting the ENTER key — so perhaps there's some kind of pre-loading error?

Tested on different PCs (where .900 fails consistently) and on Android (where the site loads fine).

HMM using an internal test version and the site works just fine.  Maybe wait until this test version is released to the public.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Just installed .3.900 to give it a try, no crash. I tried with capitalized C and G too, no crash. Even if left untouched for minutes, no crash. Refocusing the address bar and tapping enter, no crash, just goes to site.

Edit: Frankly that's just odd! And your wife is with you on that new car thing??? :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

Second pc, surface pro, no issues

11 hours ago, PHYR said:

Just installed .3.900 to give it a try, no crash. I tried with capitalized C and G too, no crash. Even if left untouched for minutes, no crash. Refocusing the address bar and tapping enter, no crash, just goes to site.

Edit: Frankly that's just odd! And your wife is with you on that new car thing??? :Smiling_Face_Emoji_with_Blushed_Cheeks_42x42:

Second pc, surface pro, no issues

works fine here too

sigmax2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had tested it on different PCs and got the same result, then I tried testing it under different accounts, so I was pretty sure it was a either a Maxthon issue or a config issue.

Looks like this is the culprit:

Maxthon_5.0.3.3000_ShowFavoriteItemsInSuggestions_on.png

When it's checked, trying to visit any URL saved in Maxnote/Favorites results in a crash.  When it's unchecked, there's no problem.

The issue continues in 5.0.3.3000 (for me, at least).  I'd appreciate it if you guys could confirm or deny in your PC installs — although you may want to try it in the guest account, since I lost my QuickAccess settings on one attempt.  (That could be a coincidence, but be careful.)

I've edited the original post to include a video demo of the bug in action.

Thanks, @PHYR.  That's interesting.

I'll try an out-of-the-box install on a PC that's never had Maxthon on it tomorrow and see if I can replicate the issue there without logging into my existing Maxthon accounts (in case there's some setting conflict I'm dragging forward from install to install via my profile).

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 3:56 PM, Secret-HQ said:

Thanks, @PHYR.  That's interesting.

I'll try an out-of-the-box install on a PC that's never had Maxthon on it tomorrow and see if I can replicate the issue there without logging into my existing Maxthon accounts (in case there's some setting conflict I'm dragging forward from install to install via my profile).

On 4/16/2017 at 9:49 PM, Secret-HQ said:

I had tested it on different PCs and got the same result, then I tried testing it under different accounts, so I was pretty sure it was a either a Maxthon issue or a config issue.

Looks like this is the culprit:

Maxthon_5.0.3.3000_ShowFavoriteItemsInSuggestions_on.png

When it's checked, trying to visit any URL saved in Maxnote/Favorites results in a crash.  When it's unchecked, there's no problem.

The issue continues in 5.0.3.3000 (for me, at least).  I'd appreciate it if you guys could confirm or deny in your PC installs — although you may want to try it in the guest account, since I lost my QuickAccess settings on one attempt.  (That could be a coincidence, but be careful.)

I've edited the original post to include a video demo of the bug in action.

I get a crash when searching in address bar with 2 instances running if "Show favorite items in suggestions"  is selected or if a residue process from an M5 crash is running when opening a new window. Crashes every time but not if Favorites item is not selected.

Edit; Sure enough, I get a crash with cargurus.com if it is saved as a favorite even with only one window open.

16 hours ago, PHYR said:

Appears fixed with v5.0.4.800

It appears to be!  I've tried on the same PCs I had trouble with before after in-place upgrades on two of the three, and both work like a charm under multiple accounts.  (I'll confirm the third tomorrow, most likely.)

I've been busy and skipped over 5.0.4.500, but according to the release notes, it looks like Team Maxthon may have fixed it there.

Thanks for the help and feel free to mark this thread [RESOLVED]. :)

Archived