Maxthon Browser (BETA) V 5.0.3.900 *Bugs, Problems*

Problem description:
Changing skin using the built-in mechanism in 5.0.3.900 (i.e. I'm not applying any 3rd party modification) disarranges current tab order.

How to duplicate:

1. Open several tabs.
  2. Manually rearrange positions of the opened tabs and remember their positions.
  3. Click the T-shirt button and pick a different color/skin.
  4. Compare the current tab positions with those from step 2.

P.S. I still wonder what drove the decision to have the T-shirt button displayed on the most prominent position in the top right corner of the MX5 window. I don't believe you would really expect users to re-skin their browsers as often as they're using window resize function, right? So unless you're targetting a very specific market niche with 5.0.3.900 (i.e. users suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder) please re-think this design decision and have the T-shirt button placed somewhere else. Perhaps you could add it to the Quick Tools bar instead and allow us to display more than five icons like before ;-) I personally usually pick a skin/color of my liking once and do not change it.

29 minutes ago, phoenix-76 said:

I still wonder what drove the decision to have the T-shirt button displayed on the most prominent position in the top right corner of the MX5 window...

I agree ... I think the only reason is say "look at me" and get more people aware and using it. But realistically there's no need to have it as a top-level UI feature. In the main menu, even in settings would be where it should be.

But I feel it's going to stay there at least for the time being.

1 hour ago, phoenix-76 said:

P.S. I still wonder what drove the decision to have the T-shirt button displayed on the most prominent position in the top right corner of the MX5 window.

No matter where they put it, someone will complain about it and want it somewhere else.  Other browsers have it in the same spot and no one has complained.  Maxthon 2 had it in the same spot and no one complained.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

1 minute ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

No matter where they put it, someone will complain about it and want it somewhere else.  Other browsers have it in the same spot and no one has complained.  Maxthon 2 had it in the same spot and no one complained.

Other browsers as well as Maxthon 2 allow a user to move the browser window around the desktop using more than just 40px wide active area MX5 currently offers. It's common ergonomics rule - emphasize the important stuff, suppress the disctracting clutter. I'm not complaining, just pointing out objective weaknesses of the latest MX5 release based on the knowledge of the most common use cases and my over 10 years of experience with previous Maxthon and other browsers.

MaxthonSnap20170316143601.jpg

3 minutes ago, phoenix-76 said:

Other browsers as well as Maxthon 2 allow a user to move the browser window around the desktop using more than just 40px wide active area MX5 currently offers. It's common ergonomics rule - emphasize the important stuff, suppress the disctracting clutter. I'm not complaining, just pointing out objective weaknesses of the latest MX5 release based on the knowledge of the most common use cases and my over 10 years of experience with previous Maxthon and other browsers.

MaxthonSnap20170316143601.jpg

Well, you are the first to comment on its position, and of course 7twenty agreed with you.  And unless several thousand others object to its placement, it will remain where it is.  That's from my over 10 years experience since Maxthon 1.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

3 minutes ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Well, you are the first to comment on its position, and of course 7twenty agreed with you.  And unless several thousand others object to its placement, it will remain where it is.  That's from my over 10 years experience since Maxthon 1.

and in my over 10 years of involvement i have learnt that if you dont like something then there is [probably] a solution but and theres usually a BUT you have to do it yourself as Maxthon tend to create what they think is right and dont listen to objections

so if you dont like the skin icon look at the code and move it - its not rocket science - that way you can have the browser you want configured as you want it - not everything is possible but moving that icon is easy

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

1 hour ago, TỠXĭĊSŌÚL said:

and another idea is to have (Auto version updater) on Maxthon 5 when you check your version so that it can Updated to the latest Official released version.. 

maybe good for users that do not wan't to always delete MX5 and install newer version manually :)

It already does that.

19 hours ago, phoenix-76 said:

Problem description:
Changing skin using the built-in mechanism in 5.0.3.900 (i.e. I'm not applying any 3rd party modification) disarranges current tab order.

How to duplicate:

1. Open several tabs.
  2. Manually rearrange positions of the opened tabs and remember their positions.
  3. Click the T-shirt button and pick a different color/skin.
  4. Compare the current tab positions with those from step 2.

Can somebody please try to reproduce and confirm the issue described above? I assume it be may be related to the old bug of Maxthon not remembering order of reopened tabs upon browser restart.

10 hours ago, RH said:

would be nice if you insert more features for more demanding users.

You have made two posts saying the same thing but haven't mentioned what some of those things are that the "demanding users" need.  Make some suggestions and see what happens.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, pipinn said:

Either CTRL-J or Menu -> Download Manager: nothing happens.

Starting a download, the Download Manager window doesn't pop up: no download is possible.

I went back to 5.0.2 where DL function is ok.

Both work fine for me

On 16. 3. 2017 at 2:47 PM, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Then be it... I am not able to find several thousands... Just food for thoughts - how often users change their browser skin compared to minimizing or closing browser window? In my case - I change skin once and then use it, so for me there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to have tshirt icon in this prominent position. Besides, it really annoys having only very small place on browser window to MOVE IT. Heck, I have 4k monitor 42" and I arrange windows quite a lot. 

I know its up to me but this is one of main reasons I think about replacing Maxthon after I don't know how many years (since MX foundation) with another browser, like Vivaldi etc...

6 hours ago, Honza K. said:

Then be it... I am not able to find several thousands... Just food for thoughts - how often users change their browser skin compared to minimizing or closing browser window? In my case - I change skin once and then use it, so for me there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to have tshirt icon in this prominent position. Besides, it really annoys having only very small place on browser window to MOVE IT. Heck, I have 4k monitor 42" and I arrange windows quite a lot. 

I know its up to me but this is one of main reasons I think about replacing Maxthon after I don't know how many years (since MX foundation) with another browser, like Vivaldi etc...

From what I can see the space to move the window is unchanged, it appears to be the exact same size with or without the tshirt icon.

9 hours ago, PHYR said:

From what I can see the space to move the window is unchanged, it appears to be the exact same size with or without the tshirt icon.

well, i opened full bar of tabs and the tshirt definitely takes up space of the "move window" area and i can easily see that it could be an issue for someone

MaxthonSnap20170322002658.png MaxthonSnap20170322002805.png

but it is very easy to get rid off, it is in the base\win-controls.htm within the bin\UIMain.dat, just delete the line

you can then put it into menu or something, it is even just commented out in the menu file :p

MaxthonSnap20170322003454.png

MaxthonSnap20170322004314.png

UIMain.dat

UIHuge.dat

1 hour ago, WarDeN said:

well, i opened full bar of tabs and the tshirt definitely takes up space of the "move window" area and i can easily see that it could be an issue for someone

I was referring to the space with a full bar of tabs with the tshirt icon or without the tshirt icon in previous builds. Obviously if you remove the tshirt icon in the present build the space is bigger.

M5.0.2.xxxx

space.png

M5.0.3.1200

space m5.0.3.1200.png

Archived