Quick Access sites across platforms is a mess right now (Android, Desktop)

Despite the fact that I do not like the new design of Quick Access (QA) on MX5, I finally caved in and installed MX5 desktop yesterday because I really want to be able to access my passwords on Android, which is only possible in MX5. This time at least, all my QA tiles did import into folders according to the page they were on in MX4, so all is good there.
However, when I installed MX5 on Android, the same did not happen. All the QA tiles I had created on MX4 on the SAME device disappeared and were replaced with stupid default ones. Am I missing something here or is this how MX5 is supposed to work?

Later I found out from Maxthon support that QA is totally separate on Android and Desktop, and QA will sync between MX5 installs on different Android devices.

Now, I appreciate that QA will sync across Android devices, but why does MX5 on Android not import the QA tiles from MX4 on Android? This behavior doesn't make sense. On desktop, MX5 imports the QA tiles from MX4. If it didn't, I don't think anybody would want to upgrade.

As regards the separate systems, I can understand that many people tend to visit different sites on a desktop and tablet interface, so perhaps it does make sense to keep the QA separate by default. However, it would be nice to have the option to show desktop QA sites in the Android app. Currently, QA tiles are not even saved in MaxNote (bookmarks) in the desktop app. Perhaps there should be a folder in MaxNote called "quick access" which creates a shadow copy of all QA tiles, so whenever a new tile is added the URL and name are also saved in this folder. This way, on the Android app, users could at least access the list of tiles, and make it easier to also create a QA tile for the same site in the Android app.

Right now, there are just too many different systems for saving sites (QA small tiles, QA big tiles, QA tiles on Android, Maxnote "Most favorites", Maxnote bookmarks), and they don't seem work together, which is very confusing and inconvenient for the user.

How about using ONE system called "Saved Sites" with 3 folders, which is all visible from the desktop app. The 3 folders are "Bookmarks, QA-desktop, and QA-mobile". Sites can be dragged and dropped, and copied freely between the 3 folders. That way, if someone wants all the same QA tiles on their mobile device, it would be easy to do so. And you would also be able to see what is stored in the cloud for your QA in a simple list format.

15 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

I trust that the devs agree that  MX5 on Android not importing the QA tiles from MX4 on Android is an oversight

eh, actually it's not an oversight, they decide to make it so. That's why I recommend you to post there and let them see how many people are also on your side. 

On 3/15/2017 at 2:09 AM, BugSir006 said:

eh, actually it's not an oversight, they decide to make it so. That's why I recommend you to post there and let them see how many people are also on your side. 

Wow, I would love to hear the rationale for not importing settings from a previous installation. EVERY other software I've ever used does that, and even Maxthon itself does that on the desktop. Do the devs actually use Maxthon themselves?

Archived