Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stifani

resolved Quick Access and Address bar

14 posts in this topic

hello

is there an option to disable quick access? Because it's slow on first time when opening maxthon and it's slow when you close and reopen maxthon. Basically you have to wait the quick access to load to be able to enter an url. This is annoying as it never happens on version 4 of maxthon. In mx4 you can disable this thing. Why is not possbile on mx5 ??

Also i always like to see the complete url in the adress bar aligned to left (like every available browser out there is able to do), so i really like the option to use the "Use the classic address bar,display full url". The problem is that when i click on new tab, it moves the adress bar down in the page and it become smaller. I found that if i click on where it should be the adress bar, the next time i open a new tab, it will stay there where it should be. The problem is if i close and restart maxthon, this setting is not maintained and have to reclick on the adress bar to move it on its place. That's annoying. Is there a way, in this version or in future version of maxthon, to have this setting saved when closing and reopening maxthon?

 

tnx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stifani said:

Also i always like to see the complete url in the adress bar aligned to left (like every available browser out there is able to do),

Unless you're apple user...

28 minutes ago, stifani said:

The problem is if i close and restart maxthon, this setting is not maintained and have to reclick on the adress bar to move it on its place. That's annoying.

And you can thank the MS guys for originally implementing that in Edge.

26 minutes ago, stifani said:

is there an option to disable quick access?

No, but maybe set your homepage to something like google.com/bing.com. Should load up much quicker, and you shouldn't have to deal with the address bar animation rubbish. Just type directly into the address bar.

So long as you don't go to the newtab/quickaccess page it shouldn't be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Unless you're apple user...

I'm talking serious web browser, not safari :) . no offense to anybody using apple or its software. i hate apple

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

And you can thank the MS guys for originally implementing that in Edge.

I don't get this. I never used edge so i don't know anything about it and i'm still using windows 7. By the way if it's possible to save the position of the url alignment in the adress bar, why it's not possible to save the position of adress bar itself? (that's not a complaint, that's just an observation)

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

So long as you don't go to the newtab/quickaccess page it shouldn't be an issue.

That's indeed the problem, when opening a new tab it would slow down because of the loading of quickaccess.

By the way this is how my quick access look http://imgur.com/a/9q1mS as simple as possible.

 

tnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stifani said:

why it's not possible to save the position of adress bar itself? (

Of course it's possible, it just needs to be implemented. But if the dev's want this fancy looking address bar thing, then it's probably not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, stifani said:

That's indeed the problem, when opening a new tab it would slow down because of the loading of quickaccess.

It must be the code behind it then, as it's clearly not the content. As above, just don't ever go to it.

Set your tab settings to open a new tab from the address bar. If you want to go to a new site, just type the address directly into the address bar [enter] and the page will open in a new tab, no going to the newtab page, no waiting for address bars to animate and look pretty. - simple but effective. I've been doing it since forever and get irritated when hearing or watching people do things any other way.

Unless you're using quickaccess to get to a saved site there's no reason at all that you ever need to go to the newtab page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stifani said:

 

 

I'm talking serious web browser, not safari :) . no offense to anybody using apple or its software. i hate apple

 

I don't get this. I never used edge so i don't know anything about it and i'm still using windows 7. By the way if it's possible to save the position of the url alignment in the adress bar, why it's not possible to save the position of adress bar itself? (that's not a complaint, that's just an observation)

 

That's indeed the problem, when opening a new tab it would slow down because of the loading of quickaccess.

By the way this is how my quick access look http://imgur.com/a/9q1mS as simple as possible.

 

tnx

Slow loading of QA only happens the first time you run a newly installed M5, otherwise it is stored locally and shouldn't take any noticeable time at all.

Someone in the forum has a script or extension to open a blank QA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't like the movement of the address bar. But here's a suggestion which might help: In Settings > Gestures & Shortcuts > Shortcuts Management, find the command for "Focus on Address Bar" and assign a keystroke shortcut to it. I use F8.

Not only is a keystroke quicker than using the mouse, it doesn't matter where the address bar is. Just hit F8 first, and then start typing in your search term or URL.

If you use CTRL-T to open a new tab, F8 to focus on address bar, you will be at that website way quicker than using the mouse to do these steps.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 7:22 PM, PHYR said:

Slow loading of QA only happens the first time you run a newly installed M5, otherwise it is stored locally and shouldn't take any noticeable time at all.

He seems to be indicating that it's slow even with nothing added to it.

3 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

 find the command for "Focus on Address Bar" and assign a keystroke shortcut to it. I use F8.

If you use CTRL-T to open a new tab, F8 to focus on address bar,

F6 is already the default key for this. And there's no need to focus on the address bar if using CTRL+T or the new tab button to open a new tab, the address bar already gets focus.

3 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

you will be at that website way quicker than using the mouse to do these steps.

Or you can completely bypass the new tab page and type directly into the address bar and go to your page even quicker, as I noted above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So why does the address bar jump around anyway? What was the rationale behind that design decision?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vedicaudio said:

So why does the address bar jump around anyway? What was the rationale behind that design decision?

Ask Microsoft... they started it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

Ask Microsoft... they started it.

 

Again I really don't get why you are blaming microsoft for having the same feature of edge in maxthon: what's the connection ?? I'm talking because i don't have edge nor windows 10, so this is a feature maxthon devs added by themselves by copying what has been done in edge and some users (like me) did not like.

I read that there is a way in edge to pin adress bar on top of the page by modifying certain registry value.

I also read this article http://www.windowscentral.com/11-features-and-improvements-microsoft-edge where at point #5 it explains the exact improvement that should be done in edge as well as i think it should also be covered in maxthon.

But of course that's my opinion.

 

On 13/3/2017 at 7:12 PM, vedicaudio said:

I also don't like the movement of the address bar. But here's a suggestion which might help: In Settings > Gestures & Shortcuts > Shortcuts Management, find the command for "Focus on Address Bar" and assign a keystroke shortcut to it. I use F8.

Not only is a keystroke quicker than using the mouse, it doesn't matter where the address bar is. Just hit F8 first, and then start typing in your search term or URL.

If you use CTRL-T to open a new tab, F8 to focus on address bar, you will be at that website way quicker than using the mouse to do these steps.

I use F4 to focus on status bar as predefined hotkey (or F6), but in new tab section first i have to click on top to move the status bar from the center: and that's the thing who is annoying.

 

Basically what I think is that maxthon should let users to be able to turn off quick access, because not everyone needs it and not everyone uses it.

Take me, for example. I use the portable version of maxthon (because portable versions are easy to maintain and to move to other machines), and i do not need either Maxnote, passkeeper, and so on... What i need is only the bookmark section that, by the way, it has a NOT RESIZABLE window where there is the description and the link to the website!!! (WTF??). I think that all those uneeded feature should be fully disable if someone do not want them.

 

But again this is my opinion....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stifani said:

Again I really don't get why you are blaming microsoft for having the same feature of edge in maxthon: what's the connection ??

Microsoft were the first to implement that in Edge to my knowledge. While all the other browsers have a search box in the main page in focus at startup (not Opera though, it goes to the address bar), only Edge hides the address bar as well. MX5 came out and it has the same... Who copied who?

Looks familiar?

MaxthonSnap20170315095856.png

12 minutes ago, stifani said:

Basically what I think is that maxthon should let users to be able to turn off quick access,

I agree with that. But I don't think that will happen. it's seen as a major feature and brings it on par or above other browsers because of it... at least for those that like it.

13 minutes ago, stifani said:

use F4 to focus on status bar as predefined hotkey (or F6), but in new tab section first i have to click on top to move the status bar from the center: and that's the thing who is annoying.

From 5.0.3.800 (maybe earlier), you only have to click the address bar area in QA once per session and it will remember that. So any time you go to QA afterwards the normal address bar will show and be in focus.

But the question still remains why even bother opening or going to the QA page in the first place? You don't need to go to QA to create a new page. So if you don't go to it you don't have to deal with it... at all?

So long as the "Open a new tab from the address bar" option is enabled the QA page is as good as useless.

Drag a link, it opens in a new tab - no need for QA
Type a search query in the address bar, it opens in a new tab - no need for QA
Type an URL in the address bar, it opens in a new tab - no need for QA
Need to open a favourite? Use the favbar or Maxnote - no need for QA

The ONE and only reason I can see for using QA is to click a saved tile - in which case where the address bar is, is irrelevant.

What ungodly reason is there to purposefully go to the QA page that i'm not seeing? Especially for a user such as yourself who clearly doesn't want or use it? I seem to be missing something here?

14 minutes ago, stifani said:

and i do not need either Maxnote, passkeeper, and so on.

As above, I doubt they'd do that. They're what define MX5 and sets it apart from other browsers. Get rid of them and it's just a less featured Chrome Clone with an older blink core and less options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Microsoft were the first to implement that in Edge to my knowledge. While all the other browsers have a search box in the main page in focus at startup (not Opera though, it goes to the address bar), only Edge hides the address bar as well. MX5 came out and it has the same... Who copied who?

Looks familiar?

MaxthonSnap20170315095856.png

 

 

But the question here is: Why copying something like that ?? Or at least if you want to use in your browser something like that, then let the user the possilbiity to disable it if he/she doesn't like it. Am i right? Who cares if the first who implemented were microsoft or apple... right ?

I don't know if i made myself clear on that one...

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

But the question still remains why even bother opening or going to the QA page in the first place? You don't need to go to QA to create a new page. So if you don't go to it you don't have to deal with it... at all?

So long as the "Open a new tab from the address bar" option is enabled the QA page is as good as useless.

........

What ungodly reason is there to purposefully go to the QA page that i'm not seeing? Especially for a user such as yourself who clearly doesn't want or use it? I seem to be missing something here?

 

I like old fashioned web browser. If i want to go to another web page, before everything else i just want to have a blank page (with ctrl-t or whatever) and then type the destination url to go to. It's something as simple as i also do with other browsers. So why changing this only because i have to deal with some feature that can slow things down... ? In maxthon opening a new tab with ctrl+t implies going to qa. So i want a new clear tab to type the url but i don't want to deal with qa. Get it?

I'm only asking here: since i'm not the only user who does this kind of "web browsing style", please, may you devs make things more easy and confortable and fast for us old schooled web browsing guyz? That's what i'm asking here.. And if you (devs) can do it, that would be great, otherwise i'll stay with qa and that's it.

 

10 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

As above, I doubt they'd do that. They're what define MX5 and sets it apart from other browsers. Get rid of them and it's just a less featured Chrome Clone with an older blink core and less options.

 

I didn't say "get rid of them". I did say: do the possibility to the users who do not need those extra unedeed feature, to fully disable those if they do not want to use them: that doesn't mean of course remove them from maxthon, just make them be turned off on demand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, stifani said:

But the question here is: Why copying something like that ??

Because it's a design feature. Like the avatar in the top left or the navbar icons, something that defines the look of the browser.

On 14/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, stifani said:

Who cares if the first who implemented were microsoft or apple... right ?

Right. Was just pointing out where the idea came from.

On 14/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, stifani said:

I'm only asking here: since i'm not the only user who does this kind of "web browsing style",

Asking is all you can do. If the dev's agree they may change it. But it's been like this for quite some time - probably not going to change anytime soon.

Quote

please, may you devs make things more easy and confortable and fast for us old schooled web browsing guyz? That's what i'm asking here..

Not sure if that was directed at me? I have no more say in what the dev's do than what you or any other user or member of this forum. Make your suggestion and it may/may not happen.

As far as making things more easy... what I stated above (for me) seems easier and more efficient. More comfortable - no, because you're too used to what you do. To me it seems like it's a waste of time opening a new tab when it can be done all in one "motion".

As a work around, if you don't have anything set to open at startup (or it's set to new tab) - for your homepage set it to a blank HTML file somewhere on your system and point it to that. If you still want to use CTRL+T to open a new tab, change the shortcut for homepage to CTRL+T  as well.

homepage.png

Change this to CTRL+T (and of course change or delete it for New Tab)

short.png

It's a bit of a roundabout way to do what you want, but it does exactly what you want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great workaround, @7twenty! I think our time is better spent on sharing these ideas, because at the end of the day, workarounds accomplish what we want, and it's impossible to know what the devs are planning. They are unlikely to implement something exactly how one user on a forum wants it to be. They refused to even change quick access back to the MX4 look that people liked so much.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0