MX5 is hijacking my MX4

Northern

Theres a lot of things I'm not happy with regarding MX5. Mainly in the Bookmarks section. There is no Bookmark manager anymore for example.  So I like MX4

instead.  But why is Maxthon taking over that installation of MX4 and updating it to MX5 all of the time ? 

Thanks,  David.

1 hour ago, Northern said:

There is no Bookmark manager anymore for example.

Maxnote is the bookmark manager. does the same job, just looks different and includes your (sky)notes.

1 hour ago, Northern said:

But why is Maxthon taking over that installation of MX4 and updating it to MX5 all of the time

Install MX5 to a different folder. You can happily run both versions on the same system (just not at the same time)

12 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Maxnote is the bookmark manager. does the same job, just looks different and includes your (sky)notes.

Thanks for help with the installation using a different folder.  Why is it installing it in the same folder, though, if this is a problem people are facing ?

Neither is there a warning to say if it goes into the same folder it will be automatically updated to Maxthon 5.  

Maxnote is a really bad Bookmark manager. All of my icons instead of having their own colours and design like on any other web browser Ive used have internet explorer icons despite me not having used Internet Explorer for many years. Over ten years.  And when I click a websites link in Maxnote so I can see exactly what the website is, it doesn't take me to the web page nor does it display any of the web page as a preview.  So I can't manage my Bookmarks with Maxnote.  

1 hour ago, David Keel said:

Why is it installing it in the same folder, though, if this is a problem people are facing ?

It's not an issue. It's meant to be an upgrade like Windows 8 > 10, Firefox 44 > 45, or similar upgrades.

An explanation of this probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not a deal breaker IMO.

All of my icons instead of having their own colours and design like on any other web browser Ive used have internet explorer icons despite me not having used Internet Explorer for many years.

I've complained about the IE logo before. Seems quite wrong considering they're trying to promote their own browser, yet using the icon of probably the most well known browser on the planet. The icons will update to the correct favicons once you visit these sites, or you can use the "update site icons" option in the Maxnote menu on the right of the screen.

And when I click a websites link in Maxnote so I can see exactly what the website is, it doesn't take me to the web page nor does it display any of t

The URL is shown in the right panel and the first part under the title if you have it set to the default display mode.

They can be opened by rightclick > open, or clicking on the URL shown below the title, or the open in background icon on the right panel near the URL or next to the title in list mode.

FTR I don't use MX5 full time because I don't like the way that Maxnote works as a launcher. But for management I don't think it's any worse than any other browser that i've played with. It's not as visual as Opera for instance, but that's mostly eyecandy. FF/Chrome have a very rudimentary UI, it works yes, but in the same way, you can see the URLs and need to open a tab to see/check the site. No different to MX5 or 4 for that matter.

I've said this a few times before, but to me the complaining is coming more from the "it's different/i'm not used to it" camp rather than it being unusable and/or a bad UI.

I've offered some suggestions in this thread about making it more usable as a favourites launcher and just better overall. See what you think, make a comment, and maybe some suggestions will be added/changed.

Thanks for your help anyway.  Glad you didn't get annoyed at my frustrations.  The Maxnote page though never stays open . Every time I click a web link in Maxnote it closes.

And the arrow at the top of the webpage I click on remains greyed out, so i can't get back to Maxnote.

And I also get logged out of this forum all of the time even though Ive got it ticked to remember me.

You dont have to reply for this, theres just too many problems for me to cope with Ive get health difficulties and it's making it difficult at every turn. 

Thanks for the help. 

David.

43 minutes ago, David Keel said:

Glad you didn't get annoyed at my frustrations.  

I'm the most understanding person you'll ever meet, if i do say so myself ;-)

44 minutes ago, David Keel said:

The Maxnote page though never stays open . Every time I click a web link in Maxnote it closes.

Use middle mouse button. Links should open in the background.

48 minutes ago, David Keel said:

And the arrow at the top of the webpage I click on remains greyed out, so i can't get back to Maxnote.

Not sure what that is? You only need to click your avatar in the top left to get back to/from maxnote.

49 minutes ago, David Keel said:

And I also get logged out of this forum all of the time even though Ive got it ticked to remember me.

Try deleting your cookies (see here) and see if that helps.

49 minutes ago, David Keel said:

You dont have to reply for this

I don't have to, but i will.

Archived