Updater doesn't work... again

Olgir

Hi, Olgir

Thanks for your feedback.

It's true that only when we push users to update, then there will appear a pop up window saying that there is a new verison.

In other cases, users won't know there has a new release. Since after the official release (5.0.1.3000), versions followed are mostly beta versions.

Only when we think the time is right and the verison is suitable for all users, then we will push update.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for coming to forum. And in forum, you will also be the first to know the news of new release ;)

As BugSir said, it's not a bug, it's designed to work this way. The updater will only work when we think the version is good enough for all users to upgrade, but not right after we release the new version.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

On 28.12.2016 at 4:47 PM, karajan said:

im always pleased by people reporting imaginary bugs; people that never have made an update on other softwares

and discover computers with Maxthon

Not sure what you mean.

On 26.12.2016 at 1:24 PM, BugSir006 said:

Hi, Olgir

Thanks for your feedback.

It's true that only when we push users to update, then there will appear a pop up window saying that there is a new verison.

In other cases, users won't know there has a new release. Since after the official release (5.0.1.3000), versions followed are mostly beta versions.

Only when we think the time is right and the verison is suitable for all users, then we will push update.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for coming to forum. And in forum, you will also be the first to know the news of new release ;)

Beta versions are not supposed to be updated to, i know that. But 5.0.2.1000 is an official release, isn't it? Still i can't see it in auto-update window so i'm confused. Do you mean that being "official" is not enough for the release to be pushed to users? Or how it's intended to work? Just to be sure that I have nothing to worry about here.

I posted this thread on 25.12.16, while 5.0.2.1000 was released on 22.12.17. As you can see, I waited a couple of days before posting this. Thought it will come later but nope.

Hi Olgir,

Really thanks for your attention and your support for Maxthon.

What you said above is true, that the latest release is an official version. But still, we don't want to push updates to all users at this stage. Since although it is an official version, it may be more appropriate to let some of our users try it first in case there are some fatal bugs. 

It is like spiral loops for us, we keep releasing betas and officials for users to test and get feedback so to make it better, You may regard this official version as a summary or the fruit of the betas before. 

Also, we always first announce updating and release information on our forum. So members here are always the first to know there is an update. 

So, lucky you are a member here. And sorry again for the confusion about the function of MX updater.

It's not unusual for updates to be sent out like that. Microsoft actually does a similar thing with updates for Windows 10. Certain systems that they know should have no issues will get updates first, giving them time to fix/find bugs for other systems which they know may have some compatibility issues.

If you're the sort of user who is on the forum, then you'll be aware of the latest version. While it's not as handy of using the built-in updater, downloading and running the installer isn't that much harder to do.

Basically, either let the auto-updater do it's thing... or download updates manually.

Archived