Win 10 PC using Maxthon 4.9.3.2000> Next Step?

OldShoes

Been holding off on moving to MX5, waiting for bugs to be sorted out. In the last two days i have started getting  the "unsupported browser" messages.

I thought there was a 4.9.4.xxxx version for Win PC but i dont find a download link.  Should i move to MX5 of move on. There are many good choices out there.

Have also grown weary of seeing nothing but Beta releases, nothing is "final" any more.

In the time between my post and yours i found it thanks.  

I found it by reading posts in the forum.  A also think i found answers to the other question with respect to MX5...

It looks like it is time to begin trying other browsers.  Too many issues and complaints as i review, including the need to sign in every time you launch it.

No Joy with the new install of 4.9.4.2000.  Still getting unsupported browser message on some of my favorite sites> which also means the site does not display correctly.  

Also, each time i launch it I am asked by windows if i want it to make changes to my computer.  

None of that happens with Comodo Dragon that i havent even used in 2-3 mos.  

What is the point to running in guest mode?  Users want their browser to automatically take care of them on their own computer,  not act like they are using someone elses computer. 

I came here to get away from similar issues with IE when i was running XP and Win7.   This is going to get old fast.

38 minutes ago, OldShoes said:

What is the point to running in guest mode?

"guest mode" is just a name. It's always been a part of the browser, just that it became more evident when accounts and online syncing became a thing. Call it whatever you want, but all it means is that the data is saved to the local pc instead of being linked to an account and saved online.

42 minutes ago, OldShoes said:

Also, each time i launch it I am asked by windows if i want it to make changes to my computer.  

I think there's a bug there. I've noticed the same. Doesn't bug me so much as I generally only restart the browser when the PC restarts, which can be once a week if not longer.

39 minutes ago, OldShoes said:

Still getting unsupported browser message on some of my favorite sites> which also means the site does not display correctly.  

Which sites? MX4 is using a somewhat old blink core, but most sites have no issues. Make sure you're using the default user agent as well.

Seeing as it's not a chrome clone, it's unfortunately one of the niggles that you have to deal with when using a non-mainstream browser.

re: Sites

I only experience it when i have gone too long between updates.  It just started 2 days ago with yahoo mail- where i usually first notice it.  It has occurred on at least 3 other sites which led me to look for updates.  

re: Guest mode

If it is "just a name" why have it?  It must be something different or it would not be guest mode.

In guest mode will MX5 have all my favorites ready to click?  Will my quick access tiles be there waiting for my click?  I liked the way MX took care of my passwoeds for many sites i visit.  When i launch MX5 in guest mode will it immediately go to My home sreen and open it or will i have to sign in so it recognizes it is me to open my home screen and sign me in to it?  We chose browsers for ourselves for a variety of reasons not the least on which is convenience.   I think  that is where the majority of complaints come from.  You can get so engrossed in your project that you forget peiple dont want to work for their browser, the want it to work for them. 

6 hours ago, OldShoes said:

If it is "just a name" why have it?  It must be something different or it would not be guest mode.

Because it needs to be named something so people are aware that there's a difference between guest and account modes. Would you prefer Offline mode, or Standard mode, Normal mode. Makes no difference.

Had it not been for the account prompt on the first start of MX5 most users wouldn't even be aware that essentiallu nothing has changed between MX4 > 5.

The only differences that i'm aware of are:

Guest most won't let you Sync (obviously, and it never has)
Accounts and Private Notes options in Passkeeper aren't available in Guest mode. But they were never an option before now (and personally i don't think it's a huge loss.)
Access to UUmail within the browser. As above, was never an option before, so no great loss. And you can still use it by going directly to www.uu.me if you wanted to.

In guest mode will MX5 have all my favorites ready to click?

If you do the import from MX4 when prompted or initiated, then yes.

Will my quick access tiles be there waiting for my click?  

I don't use it, and haven't had a chance to test. Someone else might be able to confirm that.

I liked the way MX took care of my passwoeds for many sites i visit.  

And nothing has changed there either... just that now it's called Passkeeper.

When i launch MX5 in guest mode will it immediately go to My home sreen and open it or will i have to sign in so it recognizes it is me to open my home screen and sign me in to it?

It will do whatever you set it to in options. Open a page/s, last session, QA - the same as MX4

Thanks.

So what you have said is i can set up guest mode to automatically do everything that it would do as if i had signed in without signing in...

You cannot view your favorites and notes and passwords on other devices, in guest account.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

I am only concerned about my desktop.   I saw other complaints from users that indicated they needed to sign in to the browser everytime they launched it.   I expressed my own distisfaction with that process.  I shut down my computer at least 4 or 5 times a day,  I dont leave it on when i am not using it for long periods of time.  When i am not using it for shorter periods of time and leave it running, I close the browser and disconnect from the internet.

I dont want to be signing into my browser 10 times a day, and every time i launch it, i expect it to go to my home page and sign me in automatically.

I dont use MX on my phone or on my tablet.   In fact, I dont know anyone else that uses maxthon and i dont encourage anyone to do so.  I currently have 4 browsers, none of them are default. I havent even used 2 of them(the new MS Edge that came with W10 and one other). On rare occasion i use another chrome based browser-though i am not a big fan of Chrome or its illegitimate children.

I have chosen to use maxthon stemming from IE issues long prior to my very recent upgrade to W10. They were similar to issues i am now having wth MX4.  Ironically the issues with MX may drive me back to a Microsoft browser...

3 hours ago, OldShoes said:

I am only concerned about my desktop.   I saw other complaints from users that indicated they needed to sign in to the browser everytime they launched it.   I expressed my own distisfaction with that process.  I shut down my computer at least 4 or 5 times a day,  I dont leave it on when i am not using it for long periods of time.  When i am not using it for shorter periods of time and leave it running, I close the browser and disconnect from the internet.

I dont want to be signing into my browser 10 times a day, and every time i launch it, i expect it to go to my home page and sign me in automatically.

I dont use MX on my phone or on my tablet.   In fact, I dont know anyone else that uses maxthon and i dont encourage anyone to do so.  I currently have 4 browsers, none of them are default. I havent even used 2 of them(the new MS Edge that came with W10 and one other). On rare occasion i use another chrome based browser-though i am not a big fan of Chrome or its illegitimate children.

Maxthon can log into the guest account automatically, just be sure to select it when you first boot Maxthon. The complaints you read were misconceptions. 

guest login.png

25 minutes ago, OldShoes said:

Can account mode be set to auto login?  That would kill those complaints.

Yes.

As PHYR said, it was just a misconception that people got worked up over. The first few beta releases didn't have a guest option, but it was soon added and basically works as MX4 did.

Archived