MX5 Questions

Chim

Man, this forum is really odd.  I just can't seem to find current info and discussions on MX5.  I found out on various sources elsewhere about the supposed official release of MX5 to all the public.  I have no idea if this is even where I'm supposed to be asking this.

Anyway ...

(1)  So is this MX 5.0.1.3000 really an Official Release or still a Beta?

(2)  I gather that in order to be able to use MX5, one has to create an account?  Is that correct?  If so, what for?

(3)  Is MX5 exclusively Cloud-based or is it like Maxthon Cloud 4.xx whereby we can select non-cloud mode?

(4)  I've been reading about some Security Scandal with MX5 about it having been sending info to China.  True?  If true, is it still status quo or has it been remedied?  Does this Security Scandal extend to 4.xx?  What is the real scoop?

4 hours ago, Chim said:

Anyway ...

(1)  So is this MX 5.0.1.3000 really an Official Release or still a Beta?

(2)  I gather that in order to be able to use MX5, one has to create an account?  Is that correct?  If so, what for?

(3)  Is MX5 exclusively Cloud-based or is it like Maxthon Cloud 4.xx whereby we can select non-cloud mode?

(4)  I've been reading about some Security Scandal with MX5 about it having been sending info to China.  True?  If true, is it still status quo or has it been remedied?  Does this Security Scandal extend to 4.xx?  What is the real scoop?

1. This is the official release.

2. You can create an account or run as a guest, but then you will not be able to synchronize data.

3. MX5 is no longer working in the cloud on such basis as MX4. It has a synchronization data which can be switched off.

4. Yes it's true. This has been fixed. Find out more here: 

Thanks, Galileusz ... 7twenty. :top:

Follow up question:  Since MX5 is supposed to be an entirely whole new ball of wax, a totally different project than Maxthon Cloud 4 ... would it be safe to say that I cannot just snag the Favorites file from my Maxthon Cloud 4 and slap it into MX5 somewhere and have my Favorites / Bookmarks magically and awesomely appear in MX5 all Voila-like and ready to go?  Does MX5 have its own different format Favorites file?  If that is the case ... without having to engage in any of that synchronizing data activity --- can I import my Maxthon Cloud 4 Favorites seamlessly from MX5.  And by seamlessly, I mean in the 100% identically original organizational format that I have them in my Maxthon Cloud 4.

I've never utilized any importing / exporting before ... neither of Bookmarks between any browsers nor of like an entire Blog like back when the MyOpera Blogging Community shut down.  I've always been leery of importing / exporting.  I've heard that the results are spordadically inconsistent.  That even if all the content makes it over to its destination, it is pretty much gonna be all outta whack --- not remotely in the same organizational format in which it was at the source.

I would hate to have to recreate all my Favorites / Bookmarks from scratch, which is what I did when I switched from Opera to Maxthon Cloud.

Thanks, MaxthonJeff! :top:

Another question:  Can I have both Maxthon Cloud 4 and MX5 installed at the same time without some Files / Folders mess possibly developing between the two?  Do they each install in completely different folders?  They wouldn't end up sharing ANY Files / Folders so that then if and when I uninstalled one of them ... the other one wouldn't get crippled?  Like back when I used Opera, I sometimes used to have up to 4 different versions of Opera installed at the same time without problems.

You can have mx4 and mx5 installed in different folders and uninstall each without interfering the other. But you can not run mx4 and mx5 at same time. Mx5 can import mx4 favorites and other settings but not vise versa, because some mx5 features are not supported by mx4, like notes, passkeeper etc.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

Thanks for the info, MaxthoJeff.  Yeah, I found out yesterday first hand that I couldn't have both running at the same time.  

I had just drawn the preliminary conclusion that, "HEY!  Is it my imagination, or is MX5 noticeably faster than Maxthon Cloud 4?"  I then thought I noticed an image possibly being lower quality on MX5 than what I recalled it rendering in Maxthon Cloud 4.  So, I decided I'd just minimize MX5 and bring up my Maxthon Cloud 4 and start going quickly back & forth between the two to compare various images to see if there was a noticeable difference in their quality, their video resolution.

I quickly realized that I couldn't have both running at the same time.  Once I had MX5 running, even with it being minimized, when I tried to bring up Maxthon Cloud 4, it would just bring up another instance of MX5.  Or vice versa.  If I started out with Maxthon Cloud 4, if I minimized it and attempted to bring up MX5, I just got another instance of Maxthon Cloud 4.  Just as you now explained, Jeff.

Anyway, the thought had suddenly entered my mind, "I wonder if MX5's faster speed isn't due to surreptitious use of or higher use of image compression?"  If there is one thing I cannot stand it is image compression.  I don't care for low quality watered down images.  I don't care for how my NetZero touts its Dial Up as "High Speed Dial Up."  I turn the "High Speed" option off because I know all they're doing is using image compression resulting in faster loading of pages ... at the expense of way inferior quality of images.  Or like how BlogSpot obviously, noticeably engages in some image compression versus how the now defunct MyOpera Blogging Community used to display images pretty much solidly as they were designed and meant to display.

So that said, out of curiosity, MX5's faster speed wouldn't by any chance be being achieved via the usage of image compression versus Maxthon Cloud 4, would it?

Awesome! :top:  Okay, so far I only briefly tried MX5 one night and that was in Guest mode.  At this instant, I don't foresee myself having any use for Passkeeper and UUMail.  However, I AM interested in Maxnote.  For that I DO need to create an account, right?  If so, does Maxnote have a setting / mode whereby I can save my notes HERE at my end on my computer and not in the Cloud?  I just don't like ANYTHING Cloud.  Not my thing.

Also, is perhaps the ability to incorporate a Skin image and Speed Dial Background image of our choice pretty closely around the corner?  I really like how right now I can customize my Maxthon Cloud 4 to my look of choice.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

I don't foresee myself having any use for Passkeeper

Passkeeper is essentially Magic Fill. What you gain using a passport account on MX5 is the option to save extra info for other services. EG c/card details/other accounts info etc.

1 hour ago, Chim said:

However, I AM interested in Maxnote.  For that I DO need to create an account, right?

No. You can use a guest account and all data will be saved locally.

Archived