Maxthon 5 on Linux !!!!

1 hour ago, PonzioPilato said:

Dear Santa Clause,

I really want to use this great browser on Linux.

I'm a maxthon user since 2013. This 5th version is amazing... Please, please, Please! Port it on Linux. I don't wanna return to firefox only for this lack ;_;

I suggest you create a poll for your request here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/forum/110-mx5-beta-version/ If a lot of users will support this, it is possible that they resume a work on the Maxthon 5 for Linux.

29 minutes ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Development of Maxthon for Linux was stopped a long time ago and will not be resurrected.

thats good news imo - the announcement of one for macs is [again imo] bad new - MX5 for windows is a work in progress and nowhere near finished - to start another project just spreads the resources thinner - if the mac version is a port of the MX5 code then fair enough - if its new work then i think its a mistake

and who is going to mod it - add help etc - is there a mac user base - not one time posters who want to see it but core users 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Hi, bad child

I am sooooo sorry to tell you that we currently do not have plans to develop a linux MX5, as other moderators said, we are focusing all our resources on PC, Mac, and two mobile versions now. But hope is a good thing, I also suggest you create a poll as Galileusz said. :1f60b:

1 hour ago, BugSir006 said:

We currently do not have plans to develop a linux MX5, as other moderators said, we are focusing all our resources on PC, Mac, and two mobile versions now. But hope is a good thing, I also suggest you create a poll as Galileusz said. :1f60b:

Absolutely bad idea! You have more chances on Linux, than Mac. Mac users use Safari. If they don't use Safari, they use Chrome, Firefox or Opera. How many Mac users do you have? But Linux users try something new very often. And Linux is not just OS. This is many different OSs. I understand why you do it, I know what Karl said aout Linux years ago. But I can not understand why you make MX5 for Mac, but not for Linux?

So... linux is gpl. Support it, means to have a great company philosophy. open minded. Approaching users that usually follow the project community, more than basic users on win/apple = more themes, extenctions... etc..

About users number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems (Basically, on desktop: Apple 26% vs Linux 22%.

Now on linux firefox is so weak, lacks of many features. There isn't a well working browser with a well working cloud system like maxthon 5. (I don't consider chrome on linux. It's poison for a gpl user). I don't know about Opera.

2 hours ago, A.S. said:

Absolutely bad idea! You have more chances on Linux, than Mac. Mac users use Safari. If they don't use Safari, they use Chrome, Firefox or Opera. How many Mac users do you have? But Linux users try something new very often. And Linux is not just OS. This is many different OSs. I understand why you do it, I know what Karl said aout Linux years ago. But I can not understand why you make MX5 for Mac, but not for Linux?

Exactly. In addition macbooks are expensive and less common at the home users. Search here a potential users for Maxthon is rather doomed to failure.

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2016 at 4:56 AM, A.S. said:

Exactly!  Linux and open source is the way to go.  Maxthon for Linux was about 98% open source --based on Chromium browser.  To those of us who do remember when we did have Maxthon for Linux, we loved it.  I know, speaking for myself personally, it was one of the best browsers I've ever used.  And since our browser has become our portal to the world; it was really quite painful for me to see Maxthon for Linux go. :( 

Archived